Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
My MLV vest is the smallest made and thusly blocks the least amount of air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I had a similar experience last year. Going much slower, maybe 25 mi./h, the front end slipped out in a corner. I was wearing exactly the same gear as tall Rob, and had exactly the same results. Wasn't shaken up at all, no signs of damage to the air vest, and actually no damage to the Moto port gear. Helmet did not hit the ground. My bike slid across the road and into a ditch, and I had to repair the frame for the pannier which broke.

Jim, I wear the vest every day, but again, it doesn't get all that hot where I live. My impression is it stops all airflow to your body, so it does make you significantly warmer, and I suspect will make a big difference in hot temperatures. I think I would struggle to wear it if it was hot outside, say over 80.

Tall Rob, glad to hear you're okay.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #17
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,840
If you have multiple bikes, do they sell the bike tether part separately?

I see they also have a mesh hiviz vest also.

I wear an Olympia hiviz vest over all my riding gear, I might as well wear something that does more than just hiviz. Thanks for sharing your experience and bringing this safety gear to the front burner.

p.s. if you could post pics of your air vest as you wear it, that would be a great help.

GB screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 04:54 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

yes and yes....i wear the black/ reflective vest. but they have a dayglow yellow too. safermoto.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

I see they also have a mesh hiviz vest also.

I wear an Olympia hiviz vest over all my riding gear, I might as well wear something that does more than just hiviz. Thanks for sharing your experience and bringing this safety gear to the front burner.

p.s. if you could post pics of your air vest as you wear it, that would be a great help.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
You can buy the tether separately
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
awesome

Glad to hear you are OK....I wear the same set up, but the hi viz vest.
DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Just wanted to add my two cents on the vest, as I've had it for three years now.
I haven't crashed big in it (thank God), but I did have a VERY slow drop in it. Basically was riding over a very rough pavement, potholes and what not, close to the intersection and a car coming up to a stop sign spooked me. I grabbed too much front brake, and the front wheel locked instantly on a gravel and potholed surface. Dropped my bike to the side. Bike and I did not separate and the vest did not deploy.

Now, this is not to bash the product. I trust it, and ride in in EVERY time. But just so people know, it has a simple mechanical deployment system, which might not deploy in time, in a slow crash, or if you do not separate from your bike in time. Again, my drop was in teens, speedwise, if not lower. Also I landed on the side where the tether was, and by some bad luck was able land EXACTLY on the buckle, which snapped open. So that was another reason why it didn't deploy. Mine is a simple plastic snap-in buckle. I believe I've seen the newer version with a buckle that has a button, similar to a seat belt, so that one might be harder to trip open in a slide.

Also the tether needs adjustment when you set it on your bike. You want it to be as short as possible, but long enough for you to be able to stand on your pegs if needs be, without deploying the vest. Its a simple, two second procedure, but something I didn't know, and rode for a year without adjusting it properly.

Again, please don't take this as a bad review on the product, just sharing my experience with it so far. I do recommend it to my friends, and bought second one for my wife.

Vulfy screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 11:35 AM Reason: grammar
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Cool2

Just wanted to chime in:

First of all Rob glad you are OK and did not get seriously injured

2nd The CO2 cartridges, I have not tested the "marine" cartridges so If you buy them PLEASE TEST THEM. The biggest issue with other CO2 is they DO NOT inflate the vest fast enough or to the required pressure. If you find one that works please let me know I am sick of paying more to ship them from Japan than they are worth!!!!

3rd Very important you adjust the tether the FIRST time you put it on the bike. Spend a few minutes getting it right so you can stand up and the tether is tight. If you NEVER stand up on the bike then you should have it tight when you lean back slightly. In TallRob's case we actually had to use 2 tethers together so he could stand up straight, talk about a beanpole!!!!!
It is a simple mechanical device which is relatively inexpensive compared to the more complicated solutions on the market. If you make the proper adjustments it will go off when you separate from the bike the distance YOU set the tether to. On my race bikes it is set to the absolute limit of my movement left and right on the bike. On my dirt biek it is loose so when I dump it in a slow corner and dont seperate from teh biek it wotn go off. They way I ride dirt it can be a very expensive day in CO2 for me

If anyone has questions please let me know and I will be happy to help

Safe riding
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
GB
Mod Squad

Thanks Allan, I'll be calling you shortly and thanks for the link to the videos.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks Allan, I'll be calling you shortly and thanks for the link to the videos.
Glad to help sorry about the bad links. it was on my to do list but he isle of man stuff came first. Since I did not get accepted to race I got on the web guys to get the Video links cleaned up
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
what video links did I miss something?

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #26
truk84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Glad to hear you are okay mate and really good to hear you were wearing the vest when you came off!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk84 View Post
Glad to hear you are okay mate and really good to hear you were wearing the vest when you came off!
I absolutely can not say enough good things about it!.EVERYONE should be wearing one....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #28
GB
Mod Squad

and the ADV discount offered by SaferMoto for ADV inmates is substantial, $30 off. My order's been shipped.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Glad you are ok

I'm glad to hear you are OK and the vest worked as advertised. I've posted before that I have two of these jackets and don't ride without them. I have two comments to address some of the questions posted:
- Heat: I have the SaferMoto mesh jacket (bought in 2010) and have ridden it through Georgia in July with my bike thermometer showing 105F. I wear a long-sleeve cotton t-shirt underneath and douse myself with water frequently. When wet and moving, you are very comfortable. Stopped in traffic and bone dry - it does get hot. I've tried without the t-shirt and got mixed results, the water evaporates faster, but it is one less layer.
- Slow-speed deploy: My buddy dropped my GS at near zero speed pulling into my driveway. I had him wear my jacket and it inflated as advertised as he tumbled away from the bike.

I like that the mechanism is simple. I added a 6-inch REI climbing loop to bike as my main attachment to provide enough slack to let me stand on the pegs.

I love this product and hope that many more of you take the plunge. I'd like to see at least one other rider in my area wear one. (I live in HD country and feel rather lonely..)
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just received my replacement C02 canister from Safermoto.com. Literally took me less than 5 minutes to repack my vest and screw in the new canister. The vest is now good to go and looks like its never been used.
Now that I know what I am doing. I could repack the thing in under 1 minute........
Best damn safety invention ever!

TallRob screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 04:40 PM