ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #46
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
This shows how much I know about off road tires but I do need to switch out the street tires I have on my XT. And, what's a mousse bib?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #47
pfb OP
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,322
That's the wrong kind of mousse!

pfb screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 06:38 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #48
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,642
I pronounce it with a Canadian accent

Bob: Basically an alternative to air-tubes. Can't get a flat but they don't like heat (for example running on pavement): http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/6104/pid/5754
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
Geek
oot & aboot

Any of you LC8 riders try a T63 front yet?

Interested on impression compared to TKC front...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #50
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

I was waiting for that.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #51
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,805
Does DOT approval really matter that much? Is it just a wear issue or has anybody been pulled over and ticketed for running a non-DOT tire?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #52
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
I live out on the Western Slope where most of my riding is out the back door off-road w/ very little pavement. There seems to be an affinity to Maxxis IT or Maxxis Desert IT out here. I used them on my 525 exclusively and they always hook up wether in the Mtns or the Desert. 120/100/18 rears and 90/100/21 Front. I like the heavy sidewalls as they can handle more impact climbing up steps and rocky washes. If you do flat out, the heavier sidewalls can be ridden (slowly) w/out breaking apart the bead. When I can't find a deal on these I have had good experience w/Bridgestone M404s, and Pirelli scorpion XCMH. Currently riding the latter on my 530 xcrw. In my opinion, Intermediate rubber is the way to go in Colorado.
x2 and well said... I'm running Maxxis Desert IT's F & R on my WR450 and I love them, very beefy sidewall, hook up good and seem to last even with some pavement tossed in.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #53
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Does DOT approval really matter that much? Is it just a wear issue or has anybody been pulled over and ticketed for running a non-DOT tire?
Haven't been pulled over for it.. but on 2 occasions that I've been pulled over on DS bikes I have had the cops specifically looked at the tires to check if they were DOT legal.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Haven't been pulled over for it.. but on 2 occasions that I've been pulled over on DS bikes I have had the cops specifically looked at the tires to check if they were DOT legal.
I was contacted for a roadside performance evaluation last fall on my XR while zipping into town for some gas, tires were pretty dirty and the trooper made me clean the mud off until he could see the DOT rating. Said he would write me in a second without that rating. I have since switched to a non DOT front (wow does that make a difference going down steep trails) so I will just have to see what happens if I get pulled over again.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #55
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,862
Every time I've been pulled over on the bike, they never bothered to look at the tires.

I still run DOT, not because they're DOT, but because they last far longer than offroad tires do.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #56
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,924
My Bridgestone fronts say "Not For Highway Use" in small raised letters on the sidewall. Every time I slap on a new one I take an exacto and gently remove the "Not".. It's been tested once, and worked. Fortunately I had an MT43 on the rear at the time.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #57
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
My Bridgestone fronts say "Not For Highway Use" in small raised letters on the sidewall. Every time I slap on a new one I take an exacto and gently remove the "Not".. It's been tested once, and worked. Fortunately I had an MT43 on the rear at the time.
Oh, I like that. Very nice.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #58
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
A quick hit with a grinding bit on a dremel will take that right off too. Not that I would do such a thing...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #59
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Any of you LC8 riders try a T63 front yet?

Interested on impression compared to TKC front...
Ran a T63 set front and rear on my XR650R from Yuma to LaPaz and back last year. Full panniers, camping gear. The front held up much better than the rear IMO. (2300 miles, 8 of 18 days dirt)....4 flats total, 1 nail in the rear, 1 pinch flat in the front.

Expect I will mount a D606 on the front of the LC8 when I switch out later this spring....just back from another run Yuma, LaPaz, Yuma.....this year on the LC8 with a rear D908, front Scorpion (2500 miles, 4 of 10 days dirt). Really impressed that the D908 still has life in it and the Scorp held up just fine.....those Bajaians have been grading and a lot of the rock gardens were minimized.....no flats this year.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #60
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
MT 43 in the back and MT 21 in the front. I don't have enough miles on them yet to have fully made up my mind about them but like them so far. I mounted Tubliss F/R at the same time.
1973 Moto Guzzi 850 El Dorado
2005 Honda CRF230F (wife's bike)
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote