ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #61
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
My Bridgestone fronts say "Not For Highway Use" in small raised letters on the sidewall. Every time I slap on a new one I take an exacto and gently remove the "Not".. It's been tested once, and worked. Fortunately I had an MT43 on the rear at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
A quick hit with a grinding bit on a dremel will take that right off too. Not that I would do such a thing...
Thats why you guys make the big bucks, I like that alot, on my way out to the garage right now while I am thinking about it
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #62
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Does DOT approval really matter that much? Is it just a wear issue or has anybody been pulled over and ticketed for running a non-DOT tire?
I use a Pirelli scorpion on my front. Great tire and it's dot rated. It is the best front I have used.
For the rear I swear by maxxis desert it. Will run flat with tubliss for hours.
It is not dot. I wonder if I'll just get half a ticket? Has anyone gotten two tickets, one for each tire?

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #63
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Thats why you guys make the big bucks, I like that alot, on my way out to the garage right now while I am thinking about it
A little scrub with some 600 grit will polish up the removal mark.

Of course I'm just saying all this for internet cred.. I would never do this in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
I use a Pirelli scorpion on my front. Great tire and it's dot rated. It is the best front I have used.
You mean until it peels off all the side knobs in 1 day of riding at Taylor... just like mine?

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 09:11 PM
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #64
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
i'm not trying to be a jerk, but wtf? the cops in CO are checking your tires to make sure they're DOT? don't they have anything better to do? jeez louise!

reminds me of a trip i made to CO a while back visiting a number of the ski areas in the off season. camping was impossible in the national forests it seemed... always had to be in official campgrounds and had to pay. maybe i was doing something wrong?

is colorado really such a law saddled state? please tell me it ain't so!
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #65
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,895
Yep, you're doing it wrong :)
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #66
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Depends on which part of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post
i'm not trying to be a jerk, but wtf? the cops in CO are checking your tires to make sure they're DOT? don't they have anything better to do? jeez louise!

reminds me of a trip i made to CO a while back visiting a number of the ski areas in the off season. camping was impossible in the national forests it seemed... always had to be in official campgrounds and had to pay. maybe i was doing something wrong?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #67
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by josdavlar View Post

You must have been camping in only the busiest areas in the state. I have never once paid to camp in the National Forest in Colorado. Or you were reading the regs wrong. Around Salida/Buena Vista there are a few areas (Cottonwood Pass area is the only one off the top of my head) that you HAVE to camp in a designated campground, but those places are always so busy, I avoid them like the plague anyway. Sorry you missed out on the good parts of Colorado.

edit: I just realized you said you were visiting the ski areas in the off season; well yeah. That's like camping in the Disney world parking lot!

BTW; I've never had a cop check tires; I think that's only in Boulder.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #68
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
and the San Luis Valley - you have that honest face and good nature, I just have to rely on my rugged good looks and sometimes that intimidates the troopers
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #69
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
edit: I just realized you said you were visiting the ski areas in the off season; well yeah. That's like camping in the Disney world parking lot!

well this is good news, then. i guess i was assuming at the time that the off season meant dead as a door nail. guess i was wrong!

needless to say, i'm not a big fan of rules. that's why i live in new mexico! land of the free and home of the drunk.

Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #70
pfb OP
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
...Sorry you missed out on the good parts of Colorado...
Duke is wrong.
Pretty much all the riding in Colorado sucks... Hardly worth visiting.
We usually head out to Kansas when we want to ride the good stuff.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #71
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
My Bridgestone fronts say "Not For Highway Use" in small raised letters on the sidewall. Every time I slap on a new one I take an exacto and gently remove the "Not".. It's been tested once, and worked. Fortunately I had an MT43 on the rear at the time.
Quote:
A quick hit with a grinding bit on a dremel will take that right off too. Not that I would do such a thing...
Quote:
My Michelin Cross Competition S12 front has no letters to remove, I can't make it "street legal"

But if you are looking for an aggressive front that seems to hold up well to rocks you might give it a try, I have no idea what it will do on the slab but it has made a believer out of me on trails.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #72
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
My Michelin Cross Competition S12 front has no letters to remove, I can't make it "street legal"

But if you are looking for an aggressive front that seems to hold up well to rocks you might give it a try, I have no idea what it will do on the slab but it has made a believer out of me on trails.
I have the same problem when running the S-12xc rear.. no way to modify.

Can't go with you on the S-12 front. That tire lasted me 3 days at lefthand before peeling knobs and the sidewalls are kinda weak (had to run 15psi to keep from dinging the rim). If you like that one, I bet you'd find the Bridgestone M59 (at 11-12 psi) a big step up.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #73
grub
Requires Supervision

Thanks thump I'll give that a try, I bought it locally and they don't always have the same tire so I will try that one next. I haven't had any problems losing knobs on this one, I really like the way it digs in going down. I go through about two fronts a year on the trail bike and used to eat up four or five backs until I went to the MT43, that tire is just lasting crazy long.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #74
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Thanks thump I'll give that a try, I bought it locally and they don't always have the same tire so I will try that one next. I haven't had any problems losing knobs on this one, I really like the way it digs in going down. I go through about two fronts a year on the trail bike and used to eat up four or five backs until I went to the MT43, that tire is just lasting crazy long.
I think tires just don't like me. During summer I average a rear knobbie every other week and a front every 3 weeks (riding out my back door 3-5x/week). MT43 rear lasts about a month though. I love that tire in everything except loose/loamy stuff.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #75
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
Speaking of tires, if I buy a set online do I need to schlep them down to Woodies to get them mounted at a reasonable price?
I know I can do them myself but I need a break from wrenching.