ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #91
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I've heard there's a good chance you can plea down with the prosecutor if you actually show up to fight it.
Thats worked for me...Three Times!! Once, the statey didn't show, twice they knocked it down to careless Mountain driving or something..
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #92
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Stop by Epic and get a quote from them. It's a good shop and a local business.
+1 they are! have always done us right. I am glad I caught this thread otherwise I might not have known they where going to move.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #93
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
Thats worked for me...Three Times!! Once, the statey didn't show, twice they knocked it down to careless Mountain driving or something..
you outlaw...

Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #94
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
Good to hear... I'll get to find out this Tues. I'm sure they'll let me go just based on my rugged good looks.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #95
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Good to hear... I'll get to find out this Tues. I'm sure they'll let me go just based on my rugged good looks.
Nope, I've tried that, even paired with my effervescent personality it still didn't work!!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #96
_Jacket_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I spent some time reading this thread yesterday as my rear tire is on its way out. Later in the day, I started up my bike to let the engine run, charge the battery, etc. Just a few laps on the bike - nothing major. I live in a small neighborhood, so I popped out onto Arapahoe to cross over to a neighborhood on the other side of the street and extend my range. Not a minute later I'm getting pulled over by the local police - crap. Tshirt, running shoes and not much else on me. The guy was a real ass on many levels (which I'll skip the details on and move to the relevant info), but the first thing he checked, before asking me for my license, insurance, registration and commenting on my lack of eye wear and other gear deficiencies, was whether my tires were DOT approved. He looked them over for 30 seconds before concluding I was good. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising in Boulder County, but I thought it was interesting after having just read this thread and some of the debate about DOT vs. non-DOT.

I've been running a Pirelli XCMH since mid-July. Pretty good traction in the dirt and rocks - better than my previous Bridgestone - and it felt stable up to 60 mph. But I've got around 800 miles/30 hours and it's basically done. That's probably 70/30 dirt/pavement (timewise), but mileage it's probably closer to even (20 miles to get to the trail). Good, heavy duty tire but won't last if you spend much time on the blacktop.
_Jacket_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #97
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
So....What's everyone using nowadays?

I desperately need new tires for the ATK and have been considering the Bridgestone M403/404 combo, maaaayybe a MT43 for the rear but I hated it last year on my XR when it rained for two days straight out at Taylor - so it's low on the list, or a Maxxis Desert combo. Anything else I should check out? I don't need DOT approval.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #98
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
The metzler 6 days extreme rear is awesome, I like that and the 403/404 combo a lot. I'll probably run a 403/6 days mix this season. I also hated the MT43 on my TE.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #99
SHOREBILL
Some Guy

Oddometer: 327
maxxis desert

Maxxis desert it

1- Not fun to mount.
2- Not particularly sticky.
3- Wear like iron.
4- Super strong sidewalls.

I do very little asphalt time and have had great luck with these on higher hp, heavier bikes 450, 525. Ok in the rocks, good to great every where else. I had them on a 300 and did not care for them, not enough weight, felt really vauge? Front doesn't work as well as the rear. Love them in the desert, go figure. Never have had a flat, no snake bites. On the heavier bikes, I can ride them pretty aggressively. Work great at speed.

I bought, on whim, the Dunlop Geomax intermediate on sale for 120 a pair last year to throw on a new to me 250, 2stroke.

4-5 years ago they were my go to tires, but they changed the compound, and although sticky they wore silly fast on the 450 (6-8 hrs a rear) I had at the time. I'm not sure if the hardened the compound or the 250 is light enough to let them last. They really handle well and are sticky enough that I can feel the difference when heeled over. Haven't tried them on a big bike again.

I figure I might try a geomax on the front a maxxis on threar of the 525.

Best of luck.
Bill
SHOREBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #100
GregsDRZ400
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
Looking to replace my stock tires on the KLR and am looking at Kenda K270. I know they are not as fancy or high-priced as some rubber, but they seem to have a decent rep.
Thoughts?
I had the 270's on my DRZ 400S, worst trail tire ever. I am now using a Dunlop D606 front with a Michelin AC10 rear. It will climb trees and it is DOT as well. This combo seems to have lasted quite a lot of miles as well. I have tried a lot of different tires and this set-up is the best for my motorcycle.
GregsDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #101
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOREBILL View Post
Maxxis desert it

1- Not fun to mount.
2- Not particularly sticky.
3- Wear like iron.
4- Super strong sidewalls.

I do very little asphalt time and have had great luck with these on higher hp, heavier bikes 450, 525. Ok in the rocks, good to great every where else. I had them on a 300 and did not care for them, not enough weight, felt really vauge? Front doesn't work as well as the rear. Love them in the desert, go figure. Never have had a flat, no snake bites. On the heavier bikes, I can ride them pretty aggressively. Work great at speed.

I bought, on whim, the Dunlop Geomax intermediate on sale for 120 a pair last year to throw on a new to me 250, 2stroke.

4-5 years ago they were my go to tires, but they changed the compound, and although sticky they wore silly fast on the 450 (6-8 hrs a rear) I had at the time. I'm not sure if the hardened the compound or the 250 is light enough to let them last. They really handle well and are sticky enough that I can feel the difference when heeled over. Haven't tried them on a big bike again.

I figure I might try a geomax on the front a maxxis on threar of the 525.

Best of luck.
Bill
Was that the Geomax 51? Those came stock on my 450. The rear seems to stick really well, but I can't get the front to do anything but go straight. Flat turns suck. I've tried all kinds of different sag numbers thinking it was a suspension issue, not so. I hear the 31 or even the 71 is way better on the front.

On my GasGas 250 2T I'm running a Bridgestone M59 on the front that I love. I have a Sedona Intermediate on the rear. People have bad mouthed the Sedona, but it was cheap and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It was a pain in the A$$ to mount though.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #102
SHOREBILL
Some Guy

Oddometer: 327
51f

Was the latest. It seemed to run better with lower tire pressures 8-12 (I run Tubliss so....)
SHOREBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #103
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 964
I've run it as low as 6psi and as high as 13psi. I seem to find it sticks best in the 8-8.5psi range. Still not happy with it, but I'm too cheap to replace it until I wear it out.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #104
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
I run MX51s on my 300 sometimes, they tend to wear out too fast for me but I do like the handling. MT43 rear for tough st and UT riding seems to work nicely. I recently tried a Kenda K775 Washougal front, got to say it's one of the best handling tires I've tried, it sticks nicely and I've tried it in sand, rocky st, slickrock etc... No mud though, we rarely see that here. It's considered a sticky compound but on the front of the 300 it still wears well.

For the bigger bikes, I prefer Desert ITs F&R, possibly a D606 rear if I forsee much road use. I'll risk the DOT issue. I've tried the MT21s, back chunked right away when used on an XR650R and the Mt21 front tire dumped me on my ass more than I care to admit, They have terrible side hill grip compared to almost any tire I've tried, seems to grip then it lets go suddenly. The D606 front isn't too great in that regard ether, I avoid both. The Dez ITs are a tradeoff, you get really good puncture resistance, rarely chunks and handles the hp of bigger bikes well. You give up a little grip for that though. If you're riding sandy terrain the Dunlop D952 has somewhat of a paddle design to the knob pattern and works really well in loose sand (just ask the guys who ride behind me

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #105
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,208
My KLX450R came with a new set of Kenda 784 Big Blocks on it.

I haven't been in the dirt with them yet but around town they seem a good as a 606. Hopefully I can test them soon.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote