User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

Oddometer: 24
Question Some easy 1200GSA questions

I tok a chance today and got myself a nice 2012 1200GSA with 11000KM on the Odo. As I have never ridden a 1200 before, I have some simple questions which I hope will be answered very fast. I did try to search but I am not exaxtly sure what to search for as this bike is very new to me. I have 2 more months of warranty left, so now is the time to pinpoint possible problems.

1. There is popping at deceleration - not very loud but noticeable. Almost every time. Maybe it is the big engine + lean mixture... - is this normal?

2. When I open the throttle suddenly, on any gear, the bike gets really loud - sounds almost as a broken exhaust. Changes sound radically - Brrrrrrrrr... Same happens when I try to accelerate from 120 to 130-140km/h. Normal?

3. Overall, even without the #2 issue, the bike is very loud. Not really possible to ride without good earplugs. Is this just the way it is?

4. I get 5.6 l/100km fuel consumption while cruising at 120km/h (no gear, and I am light) Shouldn't it be less?

5. It doesn't really have much punch above 130-140km/h. To get to, say, 180km/h I would need a loooong empty stretch of road, although it seems possible. Is this normal?

I guess these are the only issues I had so far after my first 150km highway ride. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Geko21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko21 View Post
I tok a chance today and got myself a nice 2012 1200GSA with 11000KM on the Odo. As I have never ridden a 1200 before, I have some simple questions which I hope will be answered very fast. I did try to search but I am not exaxtly sure what to search for as this bike is very new to me. I have 2 more months of warranty left, so now is the time to pinpoint possible problems.

1. There is popping at deceleration - not very loud but noticeable. Almost every time. Maybe it is the big engine + lean mixture... - is this normal?

2. When I open the throttle suddenly, on any gear, the bike gets really loud - sounds almost as a broken exhaust. Changes sound radically - Brrrrrrrrr... Same happens when I try to accelerate from 120 to 130-140km/h. Normal?

3. Overall, even without the #2 issue, the bike is very loud. Not really possible to ride without good earplugs. Is this just the way it is?

4. I get 5.6 l/100km fuel consumption while cruising at 120km/h (no gear, and I am light) Shouldn't it be less?

5. It doesn't really have much punch above 130-140km/h. To get to, say, 180km/h I would need a loooong empty stretch of road, although it seems possible. Is this normal?

I guess these are the only issues I had so far after my first 150km highway ride. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
I wish I had more insight, but:

5.6l/100 km is about 42 mpg in old money, so that's ok, especially if you're cruising at 120 kph, ~ 75 mph for us metrically impaired here in the states

The noise and the lack of umph up to 180kph seems worrisome, though. The bike should be nice and throaty, but not too loud. Is it stock exhaust? Any other mods to the bike? You should motor up to 180 kph (110 mph or so) pretty quickly. Gains above 120 mph will take longer, not that I'd ever do that as that would be unsafe.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

Thanks jim,

Quote:
The noise and the lack of umph up to 180kph seems worrisome, though. The bike should be nice and throaty, but not too loud. Is it stock exhaust?
There seems to be some electric valve thing on the exhaust, which to my eye seems to be there to open the exhaust in some conditions. No idea what it is called or if it is stock. Could this be what I am hearing on sudden opening of the throttle?

As for the acceleration to 180kmh... I really don't have anything to compare it to, so I am not sure if I am describing it well enough. My F700GS feels more agile, but it is so much lighter and with such a smooth and different angine, that it is not a fair comparison...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,055
Some easy 1200GSA questions

The popping on deceleration is not unusual, they all do that...

Earlier R1200's had slightly quieter 'silencers', but so many complained, whined, and cussed BMW for putting such a quiet silencer on it, and the riders having to spend extra $$$ on an aftermarket can, that BMW finally made a louder exhaust.

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,086
Don't have the flap on my 09 but there are threads about it, found this one as a start point: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767679
I think the intent is in part to give the bike a louder exhaust note under acceleration, might be the reason it seems loud?? I ride with earplugs on most of the time due to the wind noise so I don't really notice the bike being loud, any my KTM is much louder anyway

Mileage is fine for 120km/h and as far as acceleration goes it should be pretty strong and steady, the torque is flat and fat so it should pull steady. I find mine is happy to pull up to the redline and is happiest above 4500 rpm if your on the gas, just stay out of 6th.

When were the valves last checked and oil changed etc and what grade of gas are you using? All could be the reason you are getting popping on decel, but I think it is pretty common.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I have a 2010 GSA. It was friggin loud from day one, to the point where I thought the exhaust was broken. The Remus Hexagon that I added is much more quiet which shocked me.
The popping is normal and only gets worse if you do mods.

5.6L/100 km is what I got from day one.

The gas gage is extremely inaccurate and will freak you out one day as the remaining distance calculation plummets like a stone. Don't worry.

You'll probably hear what sounds like knocking and pinging on hard accel. Nobody has figured out yet if it is actual knocking or something else rattling around.

It may sound like the whole motor is falling off the bike at startup. Don't worry.
As for the speed thing, don't be dumb. You get caught doing that and your insurance will go up so much you won't be able to ride for at least 3 years.

You have a chance at surviving a drop at 110km/hr. At 180 you're likely going to die.

Enjoy! they're great bikes when they run. LOL
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
I have a 2012 GS that I have put a little bit more distance than you have on your bike. So, the two bikes are very similar in mileage and basics.

Yes, there is a little "popping" on deceleration. I don't find this unusual or loud. I almost kinda like it, but that's me.

I would not call the bike loud by any standard, even with the throttle wide open. The exhaust flap will open in conjunction with the throttle opening and the exhaust will get a little louder when that happens, but I find the wind noise through my Arai helmet more noticeable than the exhaust note. Some folks have gutted the catalytic converter or the muffler to make the bike.. er, sound different. Do you know if the previous owner made any changes to the exhaust?

I get 42 -- 47 mpg, depending on road speed.

The engine runs strong up to about 6000 rpm. At about 6000 rpm a little extra boost kicks in and you can get to redline right quick when it happens. Don't try riding along at 3500 in 6th then going to wide open throttle. This is a motorcycle, make it rev.

There is a service required at around 11000 km, has it been done?

My dealer says to skip the valve check at the first major service, but the oil changes and brake fluid change should be done. The dealer also does a road test to check for other issues. Concerns can be addressed at this time.

Enjoy.

GrouchyGeezer screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 05:52 PM
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

Thanks a lot for the many useful responses. The bike has had the last service at 10 000 km (1500km ago) but here in Mexico there is no guarantee that it has been done properly. From your input it seems however that most of the things I notice seem normal, with the possible exception of the loud noise, (which is really loud) and the change of sound on acceleration. It really starts to sound as a broken exhaust at this point. I have to figure this out, but now as I read, maybe part of the problem is that I keep it at relatively low RPM. I am cruising on 6-th a around and a little below 4000rpm, is this too low for this bike? If yes, I will have to change my riding habits. what gears/rpm's/speeds would be considered appropriate for this engine?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,904
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the many useful responses. The bike has had the last service at 10 000 km (1500km ago) but here in Mexico there is no guarantee that it has been done properly. From your input it seems however that most of the things I notice seem normal, with the possible exception of the loud noise, (which is really loud) and the change of sound on acceleration. It really starts to sound as a broken exhaust at this point. I have to figure this out, but now as I read, maybe part of the problem is that I keep it at relatively low RPM. I am cruising on 6-th a around and a little below 4000rpm, is this too low for this bike? If yes, I will have to change my riding habits. what gears/rpm's/speeds would be considered appropriate for this engine?
Cruising at 4K RPM in 6th gear is fine. Trying to accelerate hard will cause the motor to feel slow and not powerful. Downshift to bring the RPMs up past 5K and you will feel the difference. The motor really likes to rev, so when riding hard keep the revs up.

The Camhead is a fair bit louder than previous models, so you are likely fin there too.

Overall it sounds pretty normal to me.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 05:04 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

Thanks Jim!

I will ride it some more and will try to verify what you all told me. It is all useful info for me, I'm very grateful!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

One more quick question... Does the driveshaft on this thing require any maintenance/service? None has been done so far, but I imagine it has oil, grease, etc. which should probably be changed? And I remember reading a lot about problems and seeing pictures of rusty driveshafts. What is the current story, being that my bike is a 2012 model?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Driveshaft is sealed and non-serviceable. Unless... you want to pull it and inject grease into the seals of the u-joints with a hypodermic syringe and needle. A good winter time project for the idle.

Oh, reinstalling the driveshaft has caused a few inmates a little problem with the transmission shaft area rubber boot.

Just ride the damn thing until you can't. IMHO.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
bikeandswag
got swag will travel

Oddometer: 40
I've a 2013 1200GSA, the popping on deceleration is normal.

As for loudness on acceleration, it's one of my favourite sounds :)
On the back road I take home from work (in the country not city) there's a steep hill leading out of a sweeper. Opening the bike up I almost feel like I'm astride an old prop fighter plane, such is the throaty roar. Love it.

5.6 l/100km seems about right for 120kph. I'm light-ish too and I get 5.5l/100kph at 110kph regularly, best seems to be 5.4. 98 octane fuel btw. Loaded with luggage and with windy weather it's been as high as 6.2.

As for getting to 180kph - well, I can't legally do that here and my knobbies are max rated to 160kph, even so - the bike easily gets to 160 and is still accelerating strongly so no doubts about 180kph. What gear were you in ?
bikeandswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Geko21 OP
Dharma student

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandswag View Post
I've a 2013 1200GSA, the popping on deceleration is normal.

As for loudness on acceleration, it's one of my favourite sounds :)
On the back road I take home from work (in the country not city) there's a steep hill leading out of a sweeper. Opening the bike up I almost feel like I'm astride an old prop fighter plane, such is the throaty roar. Love it.

5.6 l/100km seems about right for 120kph. I'm light-ish too and I get 5.5l/100kph at 110kph regularly, best seems to be 5.4. 98 octane fuel btw. Loaded with luggage and with windy weather it's been as high as 6.2.

As for getting to 180kph - well, I can't legally do that here and my knobbies are max rated to 160kph, even so - the bike easily gets to 160 and is still accelerating strongly so no doubts about 180kph. What gear were you in ?
Thanks! After another day at the highway it seems that all is fine :) 180kmh is definitely not my cup of tea either, I like to cruise at the 120kmh mark. I just wanted to be sure that the engine is fine, which it seems to be.

Thanks GrouchyGeezer too, for the driveshaft answer. I will try to resist the temptation to open that for now :)
Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:

Thanks!
Popping is normal, as stated above.

We all have different ideas of loud, but I have to wonder if someone disassemble your exhaust and remove the guts of your cat.

That sharp nasty noise coming of the windshield is normal unless you put a barn door of a screen on the bike. Don't run the screen super upright and it will lessen the noise. I don't ride without plugs

Your gas mileage seems spot on with mine running fast Arizona roads.

The "driveshaft" is sealed, the rear differential is not. Change it; I do mine every other oil change, and it comes out dirty every time.
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote