Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Try this.

Yuliana Allen
Agente de Reservaciones
Panamerican Ferry
Tel. 380-0906

It is a new ferry service from Colon,Panama to Columbia. Don't know much about it but it's worth a try.

· The sailing dates from Colon 2000 are Monday / Thursday / Saturday.

·

The departure time is 18:00 for both port. You need to be there from 14:00 – 17:00 for check in.

You will leave from Colon 2000 Port at 18:00 and you will arrive to Cartagena Cruise Port at 6:00am, as the ferry takes around 12 hours to get there.

Yulianna has been very helpful when I was reseaching the crossing to SA. They are supposed to be able to take a motorcycle for $170 return fare for yourself is about $200 (that's a return rate good for three months)

Yuliana Allen reservas2@panaferry.com

Like I say, I don't know much about this, just what I've researched. I'd love to know if this works for you.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #182
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Bill of Lading, dude ! That document describes the cargo. It is a shipping document common to all goods being shipped, by any means: boat, truck, air, rail, bus, etc. They are usually multiple copies for the shipper, shippee, customs, insurance company, etc.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here, you have succesfully described a bill of landing. Even if I was able to get one on a second try, the container that I was supposed to share with the other vehicles left the next day.

Quote:
Try this.

Yuliana Allen
Agente de Reservaciones
Panamerican Ferry
Tel. 380-0906

It is a new ferry service from Colon,Panama to Columbia. Don't know much about it but it's worth a try.
Ferry is "full" until June. If you go to the office and ask them nicely to cut the crap, they will tell you its not actually full, they just arent leaving until June. They have made it impossible to get to Colombia by boat right now, flying or waiting are the only options.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #183
Manneman
Polarbear

Oddometer: 128
I´ve never taken the trip in question so that´s why I´m asking.

Whats the main problem here, can´t one get across the Panamacanal by any other means? Or why do one have to take a boat at this point to Colombia?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #184
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Quote:
Whats the main problem here, can´t one get across the Panamacanal by any other means? Or why do one have to take a boat at this point to Colombia?
You can cross the canal on a bridge, the canal is not the problem. But if you drive as far south as you can in Panama you end up at a town called Yaviza. You usually need special permission to drive past there, and the roads get steadily worse until you hit rivers and thick jungle. On foot, again probably only with special permission, you can take boats and trails and small buses and pick your way through what is called the Darien Gap. There are small communities between Panama and Colombia and it is possible to get through as long as your not in the rainy season. Its one of the more dangerous things you can do and its probably a very stupid decision. The route I am describing is like the reverse smuggling route (drugs/humans) and you are sure to meet some trouble on your way, that is a given.

Right now you can wait for the ferry which might be up and running in a few months but I dont think it will last more than a year. They have tried it before and it always seems like a great idea and then runs out of steam.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #185
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Air shipping with Girag was a very interesting process. I drove from Portobelo back to Panama City and then turned left towards Tocumen, where the airport is located. The cargo terminal is another half hour drive around the runway, through construction and muddy roads. The office itself is totally unmarked as you can see in the picture above. The employees act clueless and sent me wandering all around the complex trying to figure out what to do (I ended up back where I started). Finally I found someone to explain the situation and he actually won my confidence a little bit. “OK $902.02 Cash only, your passport and the bike documents,” he said with his hand out. “OK” I said, and I handed it over.

“Your bike will be fine” he said, “no le pasa nada.”

And to think I could drive to Colombia in less than a day if there were any roads...

I left my bike parked next to some boxes and pallets and said goodbye.

Instead of an adventure crossing, I got an expensive pain in the ass.

The compound on the right is where I left the bike.

I am very disappointed that I was unable to get to South America by boat. It may sound silly to some but I have been dreaming for years about travelling “por la tierra” and avoiding planes. I passed through some familiar places along the way as well as plenty of unknown territory. I believe in slow food and slow travel for a better world. Had I known that gas would be $5-6/gallon and that I was going to end up flying anyways I would have flown from Bellingham and bought a bike in Colombia, and saved a whole bunch of money. Colombia is the country that I am most interested in. Its fairly depressing to think about so I am trying to look ahead and focus on my current goals. Cant change it now!

I hate flying, I feel much safer on the ground weaving through cars in Mexico or Guatemala on my motorcycle. I was shaking and sweating in the airplane seat next to some kid playing video games, I don’t think he even realized we had taken off, I’m such a wuss when it comes to flying. “Yes I want a drink! Do you have Colombian beer?” I asked the stewardess.

They did, and it was free. The flight to Bogota is only an hour and a half, I didn’t even finish my movie and all of the sudden I was in the heart of an enormous South American city.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #186
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
awesome!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #187
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post

“Your bike will be fine” he said, “no le pasa nada.”

And to think I could drive to Colombia in less than a day if there were any roads...

I left my bike parked next to some boxes and pallets and said goodbye.

Instead of an adventure crossing, I got an expensive pain in the ass.
I know exactly how you feel amigo. I was hoping you would give the pacific route a shot anyway.

In the end, once you get back on the bike and start exploring the real south, you will quickly forget about what you had to do to cross the gap and your first ride passing trucks like your helmet is on fire through spectacular mountain twisties will give you that stoke once again.

So you spent maybe $400 USD more to go by air instead of the tourist boats, which arent really all that much of an adventure anyway, everybody and their brother takes that route.

In the end, its not too hard to recover from the extra expense and will be but a distant fading memory in short order. Now get ready to be impressed, you are just getting into the good stuff. Give Colombia a good going over, its well worth it. If you can fit Peru and Bolivia into your plans and you stay off the well worn routes, it will absolutely blow you away.

Suerte, Vin

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 01:02 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #188
norschweger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Canada/USA/Southamerica

Hi!
I just read some parts of this thread and found some similarities to my situation.Living in Sweden, working in Norway and being in Germany visiting family and my Africa Twin, I am planning a longer trip.
First thought was to start in Vancouver, buying another bike there, travel around in BC and Alaska and then continue southwards as far as I feel for it, maybe all the way to Ushuaia. I have got unpaid holidays from iune to december.
Are there helpful people with experience who have some thoughts about this rough plan or who know where I can get a reliable bike for this trip? Looks like it is almost impossible to get an Africa Twin...What about international drivers license, permittance to stay and buy a bike as a non-resident (know people in BC who could help)?. Does anyone have experience with booking a one-way-flight to the States or Canada? I read that I have to prove that I am allowed to stay for a longer period of time or to show that I have a ticket to leave to another destination afterwards.
And: as I am not sure where exactly I am going to travel, what about vaccination? Could I take the neccessary ones on my way in the USA? I know that this is hard to answer, as some vaccinations need several visits at the doctors and as there has to be some time between them, but maybe someone has had the same situation before and found a solution.
You can see, there are a lot of open questions that make me insecure if the whole thing is a good idea...
Thank you very much in advance!
Greez from Germany in wonderful spring weather,
Tobi
norschweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #189
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman View Post
I´ve never taken the trip in question so that´s why I´m asking.

Google "Darien Gap"
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #190
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
This is great. I envy you mate.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #191
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,132
nicely done.
moving forward/downward.
yamalama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #192
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Quote:
I know exactly how you feel amigo. I was hoping you would give the pacific route a shot anyway.

In the end, once you get back on the bike and start exploring the real south, you will quickly forget about what you had to do to cross the gap and your first ride passing trucks like your helmet is on fire through spectacular mountain twisties will give you that stoke once again.
Hey thanks, actually that makes me feel better, I was slightly depressed for a few days, feeling depressed in turn made me feel like a spoiled brat whos whining because his trip isnt going perfect, but thats how I felt anyways. The bike should be here Wednesday and I cant wait to dive into Bogota traffic and look for a new rear tire, maybe change the oil again (its been 3000 miles) and introduce myself to Colombian roads.

I could have taken the Pacific route, or the lancha to Turbo. I wonder if any other ports would give me trouble. I also am not carrying my bike title so was a little worried they might ask me for it at a sea port. Mostly I was just tired of Panama and frustrated that I had not reached my first goal. I forked it over and bit my tongue. I am here now though, getting ready to start exploring Colombia, every inch of it! I will think about the other S american countries some other time, Im only 25, lots of world left and plenty of time.

I am currently pouring over a map and trying to decide which way to go. Its tough being in the center of a country all of the sudden!! I am used to entering from one end and leaving form the other. I am thinking of spending some time in the Caribbean because I LOVE the Caribbean. So maybe I will go south first to see Cali and around, check that off the list, then maybe be back in Bogota for a Systema Solar concert on the 20th, then North.

Any suggestions for routes down south? Or anywhere else for that matter? I have no real itinerary so if anyone can recommend some stunning highways that I shouldnt miss, I would gladly take the long way between destinations.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #193
Carbomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Following along

Really digging this ride report man and the lack of itinerary is refreshing. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you made it to motorcycle heaven (Colombia). If you stuck around Panama, you probably could've checked out this place: http://nitrocitypanama.com/ Looks fun but pretty expensive I'm sure. Anyway, I'll be following along for South America.

-Sean
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain
Carbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #194
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,203
From Bogotá, personally, I would go northeast, and/or go west, well before you head south to Cali, Pasto, and the Ecuador border. Colombia has so much to see. Trust me on that. There are great roads to ride, incredible places to see in the Colombian highlands.

The lack of a title might present some problems, but I am not 100% sure of that. I would try to get it if you can, it will just make life easier for you. I had my title, so when they asked for it, I showed it, sin problema. But, you have to remember, its Latin America. Use your noggin, if they want the title, figure out a way to make them not need to see it, or try to convince them that your reg is also your title. There are many possibilities. Its all in how you handle it and I am sure you will figure it out. However, if you have it, things will go more smoothly for sure.

Your posts showed what you were feeling at the time. If you think that's being a whiney bitch, so be it. It's where you were in your head and you shared it. I have been there, all of us that do this have been there, its part of the deal. And, that's what makes for great, real, no bullshit ride reports. We want to know where you were and what you felt, raw, unedited. Thats the good stuff. Its a learning experience for all of us doing what you are doing, and youre doing just fine, cabron. Keep it up. Its your trip. You are the producer, director, and star actor. Its your deal.

Really man, spectacular things await you and youre doing a damned fine job of it.

Que le vaya bien!

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 11:46 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #195
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 632
Ryan, truly beautiful photos and great report. You're only a year or two younger than me and you're doing pretty damn well down there. I speak fairly fluent Spanish as well, but I don't know that I've got the cojones to do what you're doing.

Also, my day job is as a commercial photographer, shooting for some huge and some small clients. My world is technical photography, so I don't get too many chances to take scenics for pay...but if I did, I'd want to take scenics as nice as yours. I'm really impressed by your photos. Gorgeous stuff. Keep taking them, PLEASE!

I just sent a tank of gas your way via PayPal. Hopefully they didn't siphon off more than a few cc's.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote