Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #331
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
Good to know I still have some fans. I think I lost a few people when I switched continents/took a break from riding.

You didn't lose me as your fan.. I subscribed and read your post from my email instead of on here

I think your fans will start to come back as you slowly pull out of "idle" after a transition of moving and job + getting another bike.. now that you are back to exploring, your RR should start to get interest..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #332
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,379
Amazing pictures and lovein you writtings explaining the area. Man, I was checking out the larger vans and those tiny roads. They much be pretty restrictive on what roads they can use in town seems. Thanks for all the work and time to share this stuff.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #333
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 287
Still a fan and following along. Good to see you out and about again. I am looking at 3 months of snow shoveling yet before the bike gets out.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #334
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Still here

You have not lost me as a fan either, I read or at least check to see if there is an update every day. Thanks for sharing and taking us along. Snow here in Washington, enjoy and keep posting.

Shane

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #335
andymach23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I've been enjoying all your stuff right from the beginning.

I've been to Spain a few times on Stag parties and only ever see the holiday resorts. It's great to get a feel for the 'real' Spain from your RR.

Keep it coming.
andymach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #336
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Laugh

Still a fan! Subscribed early on. Really enjoying the direction your journey has taken...the move...choice of bike....and now some interesting rides. Yay!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #337
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Really enjoying the direction your journey has taken...the move...choice of bike....
Actually I almost gave up the search for a bike until this one showed up at the bike shop in town just when my girlfriend was buying an old scooter, so in a way it chose me I guess.

Typing up the next update right now. I know you guys need some wintertime entertainment so I will try my hardest to deliver.

A few thoughts on my bike:

The honeymoon period is over, I love you now change. Id like to do a few minor things to my bike or if I can, after a few more paychecks I want to sell this one and change to a newer SR250. In 20+ years all they changed was a larger rear wheel and a disc brake up front, two things I would love to have. Mine is an '85 but its not hard to find a 2000 SR which I think I would like. Less chance the gaskets and seals would be brittle and start leaking maybe. I think a disc brake is a safer bet and maybe a larger rear wheel would be a little better for weight when I ride 2 up?

The most common is the SR Classic, theres a milion of em that look just like this for 800-1200.

My ideal bike would be a 350cc road biased dual sport. If I could make the SR ride a little more like a dual sport, with a few hints of cafe style I think I might have something I would truly love riding. There are tons of SR250 cafe racers out there. Heres a picture of one I liked:

And a little more my style, thats to say more dirt friendly is one like this, for sale currently in Barcelona:

As you can see, with a popular bike that was basically the same for two decades there are plenty of options for modifications and tons of aftermarket parts. For now though I'm perfectly happy with what ive got. Now on to the next part of the RR.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #338
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Andalucia

Got news of my camera today, beemed to my ipod touch email account. It fixed, it was under warranty, and they ignored the note I had included with the camera about where to send it. Confusingly they sent it to the address where I had originally ordered the camera, which must have showed up in their system. I dont live there anymore, that was a year ago. Luckily I happened to have ordered it to my parents house so thats not to big of a deal. Pissed me off slightly, just because I lived there a year ago doesnt mean they should just assume I still do. Could be worse though. Ill have it back soon (thanks mom!)

In Ronda it rained hard. It was beautiful. When it wasnt raining it was very misty and generally being nasty but I loved it, it totally fits the town. I can see why Hemingway was inspired here. The giant bridge was in chapter 10 of For Whom the Bell Tolls. There are a few bars around claiming that he got drunk there once. There is an awesome tapas bar "lechugita" on calle de los remedios which I frecuented. They give you your drink (beer 1.20) and then a big list of tapas. This is my favorite part of Spanish culture, small bites of food to eat while you drink. They give you a piece of paper with check boxes. They were all .80 cents so I just started checking boxes on the list to see what I would get. Little chorizo sandwiches and cheese and bread, even roasted snails with little tooth picks to get them out of the shell.. Thats how I ate dinner the first night, just kept ordering drinks and tapas until I was full.

In the afternoon the sun finally came out. I snapped a few pictures of the old bridge then went to start the bike for a little day trippin.

And this one from the other side, you should see the path I took to get this one!

After the SRs first heavy rain I wondered how it would start. Old naked bikes often dont like rain but it fired right up and made me feel all warm and fuzzy as it started steaming while the water evaporated and the idle smoothed out.

I took this little road out of town.

I headed for one of the "white towns" called Setenil de las bodegas. Its built in a gorge and the houses use caves for 3 out of 4 walls.

Its great fun to order a coffee from a guy whos bartending a cave.

Heres another example of that spatial trick that european drivers do.
Will he make it?

He makes it!

Cool gas station.

It started to rain again but I was having too much fun to let that stop me from exploring more of the area.

Saturday morning I left Ronda. Heres one more shot in the town and then one of the countryside as I was leaving.

I rode through an awesome canyon through a town called "El Chorro."

Check out this hiking trail, open to the public.

Im not the only tourist.

From Ronda I headed North and East towards Granada and I really took my time.
Check out this train bridge.

In this next one I imagine they werent sure where to put the road. One guy wanted to go left the other right. So they argued and then compromised.

I spotted a cool dirt road and took it, glad I did.

A fancy cave house.

I arrived in Granada and parked the bike on the street. I was happy to have an old bike worth little, but that runs great. I parked it right in the center of the old town, not the safest spot in town but I slept soundly. I dont worry about the little SR. She always starts and doesnt ask for much.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #339
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,274
That looks like very interesting country. I bet the food is good too.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #340
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Wow! Great report! That old bridge just blew me away. The old bridge in Mostar was gorgeous but now, for me, this bridge is tops (okay maybe tied with the giant arch that Tagesk shows visitors [check out "Riding in Tuscany" elsewhere at ADV....IIRC it's in the "Europe" section). But back to your bridge....man, what an engineering feat and SO beautiful. That doorway above the main arch....what, pray tell, is behind it? And your shot from the other side, showing the whole bridge with the lower arch and the waterfall ....well....now I've put it on my "bike bucket list"! Thanks! Also loved the shots of the buildings built into/under the cliff. I would imagine there has been continual human habitation there since about....oh, maybe since humans first appeared in the area. Another place I want to visit. I think you've really hit on something with a bike that was in production for a couple of decades with steady improvements to the basic components. They should be plentiful, spares shouldn't be a problem, and I agree there's probably a pretty good selection of after-market bits for personal customization. Loved that shot of the guy in the car squeezing through that lane....he was able to fold his left mirror back but I guess he couldn't reach his right one...luckily for him it looked like he didn't catch it on the wall! Thanks for taking us with you on another great trip. Keep'em coming!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #341
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 79
Ryan's camera: needs a RR

Hey Ryan, dad here. Your camera has taken on a RR of it's own. You sent it to New Jersery, USA for the warranty repair and they decided to box it up and mail it to the west coast of the USA. Amazing packaging, totally bomb proof. I happened to be home for lunch when the Fed Ex guy showed up, lucky, as he required a signature. Mom took it to Seattle where she met up with Katrin's mom for dinner ( I sure would have liked to be a bug at that table). So now it is in Seattle, WA until she heads over to France for the holidays. So maybe another week or so and you get your camera back. How are you and Katrin getting to France? Bike or trains? Enjoying reading about your travels, the bike seems to fit the terrain well. Tell us about Katrin's new stead...her first one? Keep enjoying the regions of Spain! As I read and view your pictures I can't help but wonder how my slash 7 would fair on those little roads, I think it would be just fine!
dad

Kurt to all the rest of us.

PS: have you heard if Larry sold your F650? Last I heard it was up for grabs in Lima and waiting for a new pilot...tempting
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #342
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Quote:
Hey Ryan, dad here. Your camera has taken on a RR of it's own. You sent it to New Jersery, USA for the warranty repair and they decided to box it up and mail it to the west coast of the USA. Amazing packaging, totally bomb proof. I happened to be home for lunch when the Fed Ex guy showed up, lucky, as he required a signature. Mom took it to Seattle where she met up with Katrin's mom for dinner ( I sure would have liked to be a bug at that table). So now it is in Seattle, WA until she heads over to France for the holidays. So maybe another week or so and you get your camera back. How are you and Katrin getting to France? Bike or trains? Enjoying reading about your travels, the bike seems to fit the terrain well. Tell us about Katrin's new stead...her first one? Keep enjoying the regions of Spain! As I read and view your pictures I can't help but wonder how my slash 7 would fair on those little roads, I think it would be just fine!
dad

Kurt to all the rest of us.

PS: have you heard if Larry sold your F650? Last I heard it was up for grabs in Lima and waiting for a new pilot...tempting
Yes the camera, should arrive in Paris with her mom and then be delivered to me this weekend. You forgot the part about the 27 days it took to get from Spain to New Jersey I think they put it in a row boat. Imagine if I had ordered it to the Alamo apartments where I was living at the time, they would have sent it there instead of to your house because it seems they just sent it to the address where I had ordered it from Amazon. I have "signed" for many packages for my roommates over the years I think someone dishonest could have easily gotten their hands on a new camera...

Your slash 7 would do fine, they are plentiful over here. The side roads and small highways are made for bikes around here, they are perfect.

Havent heard back from Larry, I believe my old F650 is still in Lima waiting for a buyer, time ticking on its circulation papers. Someone should definitely snatch that up and continue the story.

Ive got 3 weeks of winter vacation so I parked the bike and we took a cheap flight to Nantes, France. I love it here, the French are rad. There seems to be a love for the little things in life and so far im really enjoying myself. We will catch a ride to Munich for New Years then fly back to Mazarron in January. Europe is bigger than I thought, Nantes to Munich is 750 miles. I have never been to Germany, its huge! Looking forward to the best beer in the world and at the moment I am occupied by the French custom of eating cheese after the meal, really amazing stuff. Katrins aunt has quite a few stories, and an espresso machine in her house to fuel story time. Turns out shes made multiple trips by car to Morocco and Algeria. "Well I had a month off so I drove down there" she says. Im taking notes for the spring time, I want to do it on the SR.

I still havent finished the last section though, Granada and the North side of the Sierra Nevadas so I will try and find a moment to finish the next update as soon as I can.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #343
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Another fantastic write up! ... and even better pics. I wish I'd got the pics you got from Ronda and Granada ... two of my favorite places in my 7 weeks on the road.

I was truly inspired by the French and their way of life ... how they preserve the good things they have. We could learn a lot ... like how to build a train that goes 180 mph.

In Europe I spent most of my time in France, Spain and Portugal. All good.
Next time ... Morocco. Love that little Yamaha! I had a Tri Tiger, too big a bike for those small towns. Hope you visited the Alhambra. A fantastic history most haven't a clue about.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #344
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Ryan and Katrin!! And thanks again for letting us ride "virtual pillion" with you!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #345
geezfools
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Just read all 23 pages of your journey! I bought my triumph scrambler from a guy in Bellingham and while I don't plan on taking any trips to SA or Spain, I thought it was a cool connection anyways! Will be keeping on eye on you two and your fun in Spain via two wheel fun! Happy Holidays
geezfools is offline   Reply With Quote