User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
TheAntiCage OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Wicked 1974 r60/5 sweet come up.

i was down in california picking up my 1939 dodge 1 1/2 this weekend. i stopped by my mom's house to talk about life and noticed a beautiful mess sitting in her backyard. i inquired about the pile of metal and eight hundred bucks later, i was the proud owner of an apparently complete bmw r/60,spare engine,forks,rims, hardbags, vetter fairing, and what appears to be oem style helmet/tank bag. i tried to research this bike and all i know is it appears to have a much higher resale value. the thing that really tickles my pickle is i picked up a SIDE STRIDER sidecar a month ago and SUPPOSIDLY it was set up specificaly for the R60! i believe i have my hands FULL with my truck AND this bike. i will upload pick as soon as i figure out how. i have been reading ADV forums for over a year and this is the first post worthy thing that has happened in a while! im pretty excited to clean the rust out of the carbs and crank this beast over!
TheAntiCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
sounds like it could be a fun project. The good thing is, you are in the right (read perfect) place here for information and so on about that bike in particular. I don't think there is better support. and knowledge anywhere on any site world wide for the Airheads then here. To post pics, you need to see the new guidelines and instructions above this thread. But generally, you must have an online host like Smugmug and so on to house the pics, then cut and paste them in using that little mountain icon in the top of the response window. Good luck and post pics as soon as you can of both the bike parts and the sidecar!

I have a 1970 R60/5. I love it and ride it quite often.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
what's the serial number on the frame and engine?
I will say that there's no way it's a 74 R60/5.
It's either an R60/6 from 74
or it's a 73 R60/5 that got registered late.
This will be important to ascertain before you start buying parts.
The engine number (behind the dipstick) and the frame number should be the same on your bike, 7 digits long.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

That is what I was thinking too but was going to wait till I saw pics to see if it was a /5 or a /6. I have never even SEEN an R60/6.....
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
That is what I was thinking too but was going to wait till I saw pics to see if it was a /5 or a /6. I have never even SEEN an R60/6.....
I've owned one and parted out several. And seen tons. Literally.
The rarest one of the later models is the R60/7.
The only R60 that came with a disc brake from BMW

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I've owned one and parted out several. And seen tons. Literally.
The rarest one of the later models is the R60/7.
The only R60 that came with a disc brake from BMW
I had an R60/6 for just long enough to part it out and the frame resides under my current bike.

At the time I was funding a complex (Expensive) build but looking back, I really wish that I had kept that little bike and I'd love to find another one. Dunno why, but I really would!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
TheAntiCage OP
Adventurer

progress. i think...

okay, still no pics. i HAD to give it the "is it going to be worth my time test." i pulled the plugs, clean. dumped a small bit of lucas in the cylinders. i checked the oil, "looked" new. dropped the carbs, SHIT. cleaned the carbs, added fuel, starter sol non operational. jumped the starter and she startted almost right away. ane just as quickly as she started, she started knocking. SHIT, comes from the right cylinder and almost sounds like its in the head. i will get the numbers for it tomorrow, im only going off what my mom said it was. has "bmw R60-5" on both engines. so, i assumed that is the model. thanks for helping me to get this thing figured out in advance!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

I am going with R60/5 registered late in 73 as a 1974. Mine is a 1970 build date but wasn't sold till 1971 so is registered as a 1971. I'll have to look at the month of build but think it was May or June.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,001
Quote:
ane just as quickly as she started, she started knocking. , comes from the right cylinder and almost sounds like its in the head.
Which explains:

Quote:
bmw r/60,spare engine
Look at the steering head, there should be a metal plate with the Serial# and the production date. For example, my bike is a 7/73 and was first registered in January 1974.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
TheAntiCage OP
Adventurer

Talking got the facts...

Alright, i made it back out to the shop to get my facts straight and to turn a wrench or two. Fact: production date on my bike is 05/72. The head came off and a buncha of carbon buildup was in the head and valves. Cleaned the head up and she still has a tapping. It is more of a lifter noise now. I ran it for approx 20 miles today and other than the brakes being SKETCHY, she runs like a raped ape. The front brakes vibrate pretty bad. Not sure what the deal is there but i will investigate later this week. Im on the droid right now so no pic uploads yet. The saddlebags were beat up pretty bad so i did a qwick sand and paint with an enamel base saphire blue. And from what i can tell, i hate it. Im going to paint them black. The bike will remain black as well. I thought i would be daring with the blue. But i cant bring myself to do it. Well, i'll update everyone as soon as i get on the lappietop (finals for the fiance's dental assistant classes.)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Good to know, your bike is a 1972.
Refer to it that way when ordering parts and making service/repair inquiries about it and all will be smooth.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Sure you have... great bike! Drum brake, roundslide Bings, dead reliable and smooth....

Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:
I have never even SEEN an R60/6.....
Here's mine.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
bpeckm
Grin!