User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Cdlabate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Bluhduh Touratech upper crash bar mounting options

Anybody found an optional way of mounting the touratech upper crash bars to the frame? The expanding nut does not seem to hold well and are easily stripped.

I took my f800gs to the dealership for some warranty work and saw two other GS's with touratech upper crash bars missing their expansion nuts... any suggestions? I have done a search and it seems a known problem!
Cdlabate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
GPHusky250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdlabate View Post
Anybody found an optional way of mounting the touratech upper crash bars to the frame? The expanding nut does not seem to hold well and are easily stripped.

I took my f800gs to the dealership for some warranty work and saw two other GS's with touratech upper crash bars missing their expansion nuts... any suggestions? I have done a search and it seems a known problem!
Weird. I could see the bikes missing the bolt that screws into the expansion nut...but not the entire split aluminum piece. That fits in the frame behind the tab on the bars that wouldn't seem to move out far enough (in the case of a lost screw) to lose them.

Isn't there a stock bolt inside where the split aluminum piece resides? Maybe remove the stock bolt..make a spacer that gets you out 1/16th past the frame and then an appropriate bolt that spans the distance? Don't some of the other bar manufacturers use a method close to this?
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
MFGamesta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
After installing mine, I noticed the screw will vibrate loose if you don't use loctite so check it.

Regarding the "strippable" screw, you can probably take the screw to your local hardware store and find a bolt with the same threads you can use that may allow more force to tighten.

Don't forget the loctite.
MFGamesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Cdlabate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGamesta View Post
After installing mine, I noticed the screw will vibrate loose if you don't use loctite so check it.

Regarding the "strippable" screw, you can probably take the screw to your local hardware store and find a bolt with the same threads you can use that may allow more force to tighten.

Don't forget the loctite.
First thing I did was run to the hardware store and replace all screws with the hardware shown below. The touratech hardware should be better quality for what your paying...can't argue that statement.
Attached Images

Cdlabate screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 11:02 AM
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Cdlabate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Weird. I could see the bikes missing the bolt that screws into the expansion nut...but not the entire split aluminum piece. That fits in the frame behind the tab on the bars that wouldn't seem to move out far enough (in the case of a lost screw) to lose them.

Isn't there a stock bolt inside where the split aluminum piece resides? Maybe remove the stock bolt..make a spacer that gets you out 1/16th past the frame and then an appropriate bolt that spans the distance? Don't some of the other bar manufacturers use a method close to this?
Right! I'm not sure what happened to the aluminum spacers on the other owners GS's.

I was thinking the spacer idea also, but was hoping someone had already done a modification that works 100% of the time.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
CJL00
What's The Rush?

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Isn't there a stock bolt inside where the split aluminum piece resides? Don't some of the other bar manufacturers use a method close to this?
My last F800GS had the AltRider bars and they had made their fixing use this bolt location. They had made the fixing point of the bar fit in there and had supplied a longer bolt.

I too had reservations with the Touratech bars the way they fit but on reflection I am running with they way they supplied it to see how it goes. I am assuming the upper bars they make for the standard F800GS also mounts this way (can anyone confirm?) and as it has been out for a while now, I haven't heard any complaints about them.

Two other aspects, if you do go over you land on the bars, pushing them into the bike or, if sliding, along. Never out so this method is probably all you need. the other thing is if there ever was force on the bars away form the bike you would not want that force on that bolt, it is straight into the engine block. Rip that out and you have serious damage.
CJL00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Cdlabate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So all the missing spacers and missing left socks are partying it up somewhere...

I have not heard of any engine blocks being torn apart upon heavy impact by the crash bar being mounted directly to the engine block? I could wrong though..?