Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #196
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Alright, off to find some teen girls that smoke and some ducks I can blow down the driveway with a leaf blower

The threads here because were also talking about a bunch of BMW rotax twin issues AND because this crowd knows me and isn't making me exhaustively support every statement as many trust me at least a little lol.

A note when selecting LiFePo4 batteries. All the manufactures are seriously overeating their batteries, and they are all going off a flawed application chart. Yes what they have on their application chart will start a bike in good tune on a warm day, but for reliability, especially on an adventure or dirt bike, One or two sizes up is a hell of a lot better.

If your looking at Antigravity which is certainly my favorite so far, look at their small case format and you can usually fit their 12 cell battery in the same space others 8 cell would occupy.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #197
GAW
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Almost no information on that web site, but gorgeous graphics!

Looks like 4 and 8 cell 26650 LiFePO4 cell batteries speced (the specs they do give) more honestly then most.

I'd like to know what they mean by the battery being "micro-chipped". It MAY be that they have a partial or complete BMS which is good or bad depending on how reliable it is and weather it runs the battery down rapidly.

Thats all I can tell you about it without having one in front of me.

Joel

Bit more info here:

http://www.bikegear.co.za/f8996045-1...1adaecd-9.html

Rgds

Gavin
GAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #198
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
battery

ive had that shoria battery in for over a year- nice except that it takes a min or two when its cold to wake up but its never died or failed to start- my 2 cents
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #199
legasea
Ape on wheels

Oddometer: 75
Thank you Joel for smashing this new batteries option and bringing lots of clarifying info.
As I think the best is yet to come and knew what to expect from gel batteries, jumped to the LiFeP04 half an year ago.
Simply choosed Shorai. In an average temperature of 20ēC is working fine cranking easily my Boxer.
Rather than opinion makers, experience, honest testing, progress and brand strategy will determine the next one.
Just show the way I adapted mine as they are to be fitted on every kind of bikes.

legasea screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:44 AM
legasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #200
cathulu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Your work is extremely appreciated!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #201
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Firstly thanks to Joel for all the work he put into this (and many other) thread.

I've had a Shorai in my F800GS for over a year and I have had no issues, but I don't start my bike in really low temperatures. Although I am in Australia it is a bit cold here in winter ... frost down to -8 degrees C fairly common. I usually don't ride unless it is about 4c.

I also have a XChallenge with a Shorai, and apart from the 2Kg weight saving, what I really wanted was the battery to stay charged up if I didn't ride it. Bump starting a 650 thumper gets pretty old pretty quickly. Recently I had the XC forks rebuilt with Husky internals and also went on holiday, so the XC was sitting around without forks in the garage for something like 2 months. Last night I got it reassembled to the point where I could start it, but didnt know what it would be like after this time. Very nice Indian summer here a the moment ... 16c, pushed the starter button and it fired up as though I had ridden it yesterday. Very relieved, because I'm sure with the standard battery I woud have been up for a push start.

So all I'm saying is that I'm sure that Lithium Batteries have a big place in the future. I'll probably look at an anti gravity next time, but Shorai's service has been very good ... very fast delivery times to Australia.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #202
DaleC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thank you!

Incredibly thorough and detailed report to educate us mere electrical mortals, especially the clarification of the marketing propaganda.

As a potential LiFePo4 battery customer, your efforts are greatly appreciated! I am certain that my purchase would be very different had I not have stumbled across your work and I may have seen me (not) enjoying a long walk from the middle of nowhere. This being further unaided by the F650GS (twin spark, single cylinder) low charging levels that I was previously unaware of.

Cheers for your efforts.
Dale
DaleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #203
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks DaleC, the pleasure has been all mine as I enjoy blowing things up :)

To others that have posted that their Shorai batteries have worked for them fine......

It may get buried due to the fact that I am contemptuous of Shorai for their deceptively written Q&A, but I think Shorai makes a good battery, just not as good as many other battery manufactures.

If you follow Shorais specifications when replacing your battery, it will probably fail and rapidly.

Take the BMW F800GS or R1200GS for example. Both come from the factory with 12 amp hour 200CCA batteries that do intact start the vehicles reliably.

Okay, hop over to Shorai's web site and you will find that the Shorai LFX14 is rated 14 amp hour and has 210 CCA. Perfect, spend $160 and you have a battery that will run your lights longer, crank your bike for longer, and turn your engine over faster all while weighing half as much!

The problem is, SHORAI IS LYING! If your lucky you found out Shorai was lying by word of mouth when you heard Shorai was recommending owners of these bikes with the previously recommended LFX14 upgrade to the newly recommended LFX18 and that Shorai had your back and would upgrade you to this battery if you simply sent them the difference in price. a short while later the LFX18s started failing in these bikes and Shorai turned around and started recommending the LFX21. Once again, send them the difference in price and they will send you a battery that will work for their originally advertised purpose for once again the difference in price.

Okay, the women on the phone at Shorai was nice and had a sweet voice as she told you that for only an additional $70 they would send you a battery that would work for the application they originally advertised a $70 cheaper battery for.

This is good customer service???

Okay, being that this battery thread is posted in parallel universe and most of you have likely dealt with BMW customer service, Shorais customer service may seem good in comparison but in my book, if I sell someone a battery I have advertised as being suitable for their motorcycle and it is not, I would not only send out a battery that would work reliably, I would send it for free with an apology AND a box of cookies!

Next up, why in the sage brush hell does the F800GS and R1200GS require a battery rated 21 amp hour and 315CCA to start reliably when a chinese lead acid battery rated 12 amp hour and 200CCA works just fine?

Simple, the terms "amp hour" and "CCA" which were defined before my grandfather was born are being misused by Shorai.

There are half a dozen R1200GS motorcycles that have been running the recommended Shorai battery that have needed their flywheels replaced over the last year. So far all that I know of have been replaced under warranty, but.... Corporate BMW is aware that the Shorai battery being undersized is the problem and will not continue covering the flywheel replacement forever.

Hows this for customer service... Buy our battery for $160, send us another $40 for the next size up, then another $30 for the size above that, and then pay $800 for a new flywheel because we like to lie about CCA and AH

The F800 uses a sprag clutch that isn't vulnerable to under voltage like the R1200 bendix and ring gear, but it still has a starter relay that does not really dig chattering. The LFX21 is in truth approximately a 160CCA and 9 amp hour battery.

I say "approximately" because it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. A LiFePo4 just works differently. under most conditions you will run out of available amp hour in a lead/acid battery somewhat before you run out of actual amp hour because the lead/acid chemistry can't keep up with continues demand. This is not the case with LiFePo4 so even though the LFX21 only has 7 actual amp hour in practice it will perform more like a 9 or 10 amp hour lead/acid battery, but to call it a 21 amp hour battery is total and complete advertising B.S.

Same for CCA, the chemistries just work differently. In an actual CCA test the Shorai rates somewhat below 200 CCA. I am not sure how much below 200 CCA but since a brand new Shorai LFX21 belched clouds of acrid white smoke before reaching the 30 seconds that CCA tests are conducted for, it certainly didn't pass a 200 CCA test. Shorai is rating the LFX21 315CCA! IN A PIGS EYE!!!!!!!!

The Shorai LFX21 will work for the F800 as long as you are not a demanding rider who likes to charge accessories with the bike off, crank for an extended period when something is breaking on your bike, or start the bike regularly in super cold weather. The $74 Deka ETX14 will actually power the LFX21 into the ground and burry it in every specification but weight.

To those with Shorai LFX21s in their F800s, this battery will likely work fine but don't kid yourself into thinking you have a battery that is more robust then a good Deka or Odyssey battery because you do not.

For the R1200, those bikes are on the bleeding edge of what a 200 actual CCA battery can reliably start so if you have anything smaller then a LFX24 I would replace it unless you are just a fair weather rider.

Long story short, Shorai batteries are not bad as long as you massively oversize from what their specs say you need. If you stick with their currently recommended battery it will work but will not be as robust as the $74 stock battery.

I am digging Antigravity batteries because their CCA is pretty honest, and though their amp hour is inflated, its not inflated by much. I have only tested a 16 cell Antigravity battery so far but a 4 cell and 8 cell is in the mail for free because the owner of Antigravity actually cares about getting it right and is using my tests to refine his product and application tables.

I will also have a 12 cell on the way shortly that I am paying for because it is what I have settled on for my bike. I'd use the 16 cell I used in the tests but its off on long term testing in an F8 that won't be completed till next summer.

Either way, using actual amp hour and actual CCA performance rather then inflated specs, Antigravity is cheaper then Shorai.

More test results coming soon, sorry for delay but I am working full time+ again.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #204
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
A good thorough test of LiFePo and comparison is very needed, so keep up this wonderful testing. I was thinking about a new battery, a Shorai for the KTM, But I would also like to know what I am buying with honest specifications.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #205
Greebe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
First of all I would like to thank you for all the work put into this post. I was wondering however if you could give me a short synopsis of this thread as I really do not have the time to read through the entire post. Having to work 60+ hours a week and trying to raise a young baby does not allow me much time. I really need a new battery for my DRZ400S so that I could at least ride it to work, but can't decide on just getting another lead acid battery or upgrading to Lithium battery.

I appreciate it very much.

Greebe
Greebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #206
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebe View Post
First of all I would like to thank you for all the work put into this post. I was wondering however if you could give me a short synopsis of this thread as I really do not have the time to read through the entire post. Having to work 60+ hours a week and trying to raise a young baby does not allow me much time. I really need a new battery for my DRZ400S so that I could at least ride it to work, but can't decide on just getting another lead acid battery or upgrading to Lithium battery.

Greebe
The DRZ400s takes a YT7B battery if memory serves. Thats about a 6 amp hour 120 cca battery depending on brand and its a battery with such thin plates to get the CCA up there that it is pretty UNreliable.

The DRZ's have zero current draw when off which is great compared to all the beamers that continue to draw 2-3 mA with the key off to support memory on all the computers.

That said, because lead/acid batteries internally discharge substantially when just sitting, you have to charge them at least once a month if you want them to last more then a season or two at best.

For your application upgrading to a LiFePO4 means you won't have to mess with a charger at all. ZERO current drain when the DRZ is off coupled with LiFePO4 batteries ability to hold a charge for several years with no damage is a very nice thing.

Even Antigravity inflates their specs or they probably wouldn't sell any batteries, but at least they do it less then the rest....

A small case Antigravity 8 cell will have from my testing a real life CCA of around 160 but for the 5 second period your likely to need to crank before your bike starts, an honest no-shit 240 CCA tested by me.

I have worked on DRZ charging systems before and they are not impressive, but are regulated within the envelope LiFePO4 batteries can handle without damage.

If you could fit a 12 cell you would have a truly impressive package, but I doubt you can. Either way I would consider it a worthwhile upgrade as the YT7B is just a terrible battery size in lead/acid.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #207
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebe View Post

Greebe
Hop over to the Thumpertalk.com forum...get a hold of Eddie Sisneros..... he sells the superstart kit...that uses a new tray...and the yt12b....i believe.... That is what I am running in my DRZ470...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #208
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Hop over to the Thumpertalk.com forum...get a hold of Eddie Sisneros..... he sells the superstart kit...that uses a new tray...and the yt12b....i believe.... That is what I am running in my DRZ470...
The problem with the YT series batteries amongst others is that it is not a sealed battery. Not only does it leak every time you drop the bike, bet electrolyte sloshes from cell to cell resulting in terrible imbalance, and hence why even with light duty use these batteries rarely last more then a season or two still able to start the bike.

If you can jam at least a YTX or YTZ 12 battery into these bikes, well thats a huge improvement, but now you have added 10 LBS in a less then ideal spot on a bike where weight is noticeable when you use it hard.

I truly do think LiFePO4 would be a big improvement on bikes like these.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #209
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
The problem with the YT series batteries amongst others is that it is not a sealed battery. Not only does it leak every time you drop the bike, bet electrolyte sloshes from cell to cell resulting in terrible imbalance, and hence why even with light duty use these batteries rarely last more then a season or two still able to start the bike.

If you can jam at least a YTX or YTZ 12 battery into these bikes, well thats a huge improvement, but now you have added 10 LBS in a less then ideal spot on a bike where weight is noticeable when you use it hard.

I truly do think LiFePO4 would be a big improvement on bikes like these.
First.... memory does not serve me correct...as I mentioned the wrong battery....ups... The kit he makes use the YTZ10S....which is a sealed unit, and a nice upgrade from the 7 that comes stock. But my intentions were not to really recommend this over the lion's..... but merely make him aware of the bigger units available...in case he goes the Yuasa way, as he indicated. Ironically my DRZ...and the whole fleet...suffers the same fate as the 8GS with the low charging voltage... Ironic...is'nt it....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #210
JoelWisman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
First.... memory does not serve me correct...as I mentioned the wrong battery....ups... The kit he makes use the YTZ10S....which is a sealed unit, and a nice upgrade from the 7 that comes stock. But my intentions were not to really recommend this over the lion's..... but merely make him aware of the bigger units available...in case he goes the Yuasa way, as he indicated. Ironically my DRZ...and the whole fleet...suffers the same fate as the 8GS with the low charging voltage... Ironic...is'nt it....
The YTZ 10 is a good battery. So for me it would come down to money.

A note.... Neither the DRZ nor F800 have bad charging voltage regulation, they simply have regulators set up for the wrong kind of batteries.

With the F800 the older bikes are set for gel battery charging which is hella stupid as no one makes a gel battery in a case size that will fit the battery box.

With the DRZ, the voltage is about right for a non sealed flooded battery which is hella cheap for a bike that tips over often if ridden correctly therefore leaks acid.

The stock DRZ charging system won't extract a whole lot of performance or longevity from a YTZ battery unless you regularly use a "made for AGM" battery charger.