Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #76
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Yeah, ya' gotta' do whatever makes you comfortable. Sort of like the pro and cons of seatbelts, as there is really no better answer than to do what makes you feel best or works for you.

I have a one-off custom sidecar door being done by Hardflame. Murphy and my other dogs will have to get used to it though when we get it shipped to us, as they have never had such before. It will be an adjustment for them, for sure. Maybe not evan an easy one for them to make either. My dogs are small enough to ride up on the seat and no pooch pad setup used.

Good luck with your setup.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #77
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

I am not as inclined to believe the info put out by some here on the use of the neck collar and displacement of anything g-force related. Since there is absolutely no testing, the facts presented are pretty much opinion-based and to some degree scare tactics, at best. You have to look at a harness setup and a neck collar in a different manner, each. The dog can fly any direction at all in an actual wreck and not necessarily just forward against a tether. It totally depends upon how he is seated at the time or where the initial impact is focused during the wreck impact. In addition, the weight and size of the dog has an impact, too. A harness can be every bit as bad as a neck collar in a crash situation for the animal. It is just not a given that the neck collar will automatically snap a dog's neck, any more than a harness would snap a dog's back. In a roll over, anything can happen, despite which method it used. I can tell anyone for fact tha the hot pipes of a Ural are no fun to be singed on in such an event, even for a dog on a tether strap. Even so, I find I use my harness more than my dog's neck collar setup, except for photo ops.

You got to do what makes you happy and you feel safest with though.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #78
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
My problem with a collar is that when frightened Barley can and does get out of the collar leaving my cell number and his ID behind. He is under voice control, but if I'm incapacitated who knows what he might do? With a harness he can't shed his contact info.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #79
Jimm Dandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
My primary concern is him falling out. I have a Giant Schnauzer, and even when seated his center of gravity is well above the side of the tub. I honestly don't think he'd jump out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
I LIKE THAT IDEA
Jimm Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #80
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 796
collar / harness

Whiskey just turn 14lbs so said the Quazi Dentist who cleaned her teeth a couple days ago. But the question from a concerned citizen who the other day says to me "hey aren't you the guy on the bicycle with dog who wears glasses?" I admit only what I have too. Don't want to freak the gal out with Whiskeys other forms of transportation. She can't see the leash she says. I usually don't ride till it gets above 40 degree's. At this time of year she wears a little parka jobee thingee to keep the wind off her a bit. So to follow this thread, when Whiskey is wearing her little jacket I use a collar for restraint because the harness doesn't work well with the jacket due to the opening for the clip where it meets the harness is off by too much. When she is in my GSA's tank bag I use a harness with a short leash. I have a small dog carrier for the rear of the bike. She didn't like it. I didn't like it, as I prefer seeing her. AND if I do an end over end crash, being on the rear would be a pile driver of a hit first go round. In the sidecar its the same, I have her wear the harness and give her just enough leash to stay within the car. She wears her goggles all the time so her eyes are protected from flying objects during uneventful rides. In the event of of a crash? Who knows for sure where she or I will end up. DOG loves to ride! So I am happy to oblige her!
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #81
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Dogs love to ride, but cats want to drive...

Found that saying on a sign a while back. :-)

Yeah, one has to look at each pooch individually as to what works best when they ride. What works for one may not work for another. I learned to keep my Jack Russell to the inboard side, but she can still scare the hell out of me at times, regardless. I thought of removing the seats and thus lowering the dogs in the hack, but when I actually did it, I just wasn't satisfied with the results, as my dogs expended much more energy in trying to see over the hack walls in that manner. One has to make adjustments as necessary and find what works best by trial and error, I suspect.

Doggles, what are Doggles? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1grVC8Lkk

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #82
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Dogs love to ride, but cats want to drive...

Found that saying on a sign a while back. :-)

Doggles, what are Doggles? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1grVC8Lkk
Fun video!

I actually think those might work if you put an under-the-snout strap on them.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #83
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,583
I posted up this info in the WUMPA thread but thought I'd preserve it for posterity here where it belongs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kirby's Breakaway Restraint System

My sidecar has a steel support bracket for the passenger seat that's bolted through the floor of the tub into the tubular frame. It's very strong. Kirby's plywood platform sits on top of this bracket (earlier post on this HERE.) On top of the plywood I use a memory foam dog mattress encased in a waterproof velour cover (this one) that also serves as his dog bed in the tent.

You may have to experiment with your dog to find the right combo, but I used an ordinary 1/2-inch nylon dog leash. I attach the "handle" end to the passenger support bracket near the tub wall then feed the leash up the side between the plywood/mattress and the tub wall. I chopped off the other end and removed the scrap from the metal clip-snap. Now I have a bare strap attached to the chair and a bare clip-snap.

Then I took a 1/2-inch plastic tri-glide slider and fed the strap through it upside down (Kirby weighs 47-lbs--with a heavier dog I'd feed it right side up.)--

Next, I take the end of the strap and feed it through the clip-snap then back through the tri-glide--

Note that this tri-glide is in the upside down position I mentioned above. If you feed it through right side up there is more friction on the strap and more holding power.

Also note that in these pics I'm using a 1/2-inch strap but I'm using a 5/8-inch tri-glide. This is just because I couldn't find any 1/2-inch tri-glides this morning to use for the pics. The 5/8-inch tri-glide is heavier and harder to break than the 1/2-inch version.

One additional note--the dog harness I use has a metal D-ring on the belly of the harness (from Coleash Kryptaglow-excellent product!) I don't use the D-ring that most harnesses have up on the dog's back between the shoulder blades. The belly ring allows Kirby to move around quite a bit inside the car without getting the strap tangled. I hoped this system would be strong enough to keep Kirby from chasing deer or squirrels. To check it (this was kinda mean but necessary) I clipped him in then encouraged him to jump out by teasing him with his favorite toy. He made a mad dash for the toy but ended up half in and half out of the sidecar suspended by the strap. But the strap held and the tri-glide had not moved!

Then I experimented quite a bit to get the right length. I kept adjusting the length until I got it right, then I chopped off the leash so that only 1-inch of strap was sticking out of the tri-glide. Then I melted the end to prevent fraying.

My strategy was that while the strap was strong enough to resist him jumping at deer, it would slip or break from the inertia of a crash. Of course, there was no way to test this until I actually had a crash. Which I did have.

After the crash, Kirby's harness was intact and the metal clip-snap was attached to the belly ring--but with no strap! When I examined the car, the strap was there, the melted end told me that the strap had not broken, but the tri-glide was nowhere to be found. Looks like the tri-glide simply broke. Kirby was thrown some distance in the air but landed OK and was standing by my side totally calm and unscathed when I crawled out from under the bike.

There are pros and cons to a breakaway system. Having a breakaway strap means that your dog won't drown in the lake or roll down the embankment when you have a crash. With a no-breakaway system the dog goes down with the ship even though YOU have been thrown clear! But the flip side to this is that if you have a crash, especially on pavement or in traffic, the dog might easily freak out and, if not restrained, run away. This might mean a lost dog, or might mean a dog hit by traffic after-the-fact. So it's kind of a toss-up and your decision of which way to go may depend firstly on (1) your dog and (2) what kind of riding you do.

Another way of doing what I did without depending on a tri-glide would be to use some nylon braided fishing line (or equivalent) and making a loop that remains permanently attached to the D-ring (assumes you know how to tie a proper knot.) Then every time you go for a ride you attach your restraining strap to the braided loop instead of to the metal D-ring. Again, you'd have to experiment to determine how many loops of fish line to use for your dog knowing that at the end of the day, you are still just guessing on what's right. There's no way to know in advance how violent your crash is gonna be and is the system gonna work the way you want it to.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #84
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725

rebelpacket screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 06:00 PM
rebelpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #85
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179

I have an EasyRider harness from Baxterboo that Fred wears. Fastened to a stainless eye on the sidecar back deck with an adjustable length of chain, and also by a length of web leash attached across the nose opening. Not shown is another length of chain attached to left inside car to a ring on the harness. He can lie down, but can't stand up (depending on amount of slack I leave), and he can't be pitched out in hard lefts.

I carry his leash with us, but I always disconnect it when we're driving so it doesn't flop out somehow and do an Isadora Duncan on the big guy.

The lower seat is removed and I cut a piece of diamond plate pattern squishy bar mat for him to dig his claws into and cushion him at the same time. I think he's pretty comfortable. When we stop somewhere and I turn the motor off he barks until I start it up again, then he's happy.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #86
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 10,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Something occured to me as I started drawing up ideas to secure the schnauzer in my sidecar. We've loosely mentioned this in a few threads, but have never really tackled it before. Based on the Hacks n Pups thread, there are a lot people who want to ride with their pooch. So let's consolidate our resources!

How do you secure your pup? Post pictures of your setup so we can all see your ingenuity!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
I got a related question:
Did your dog 'naturally take to riding' or was there some coaxing involved?
My almost 1 year-old pup doesn't like murdersickles
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #87
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post

I have an EasyRider harness from Baxterboo that Fred wears. Fastened to a stainless eye on the sidecar back deck with an adjustable length of chain, and also by a length of web leash attached across the nose opening. Not shown is another length of chain attached to left inside car to a ring on the harness. He can lie down, but can't stand up (depending on amount of slack I leave), and he can't be pitched out in hard lefts.

I carry his leash with us, but I always disconnect it when we're driving so it doesn't flop out somehow and do an Isadora Duncan on the big guy.

The lower seat is removed and I cut a piece of diamond plate pattern squishy bar mat for him to dig his claws into and cushion him at the same time. I think he's pretty comfortable. When we stop somewhere and I turn the motor off he barks until I start it up again, then he's happy.

Do you have a offset triple clamp on that BMW? To reduce trail?
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #88
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
Do you have a offset triple clamp on that BMW? To reduce trail?
No, it has a ToasterTan upper billet clamp, stock lower, and a San Jose BMW style fork brace. Those together stiffen up the front end so there's no flex and wasted energy when turning. I lowered the front a little in the triple clamps, and used wide GS bars. It steers pretty easily. I have a leading link front end project I've collected parts for, but the steering hasn't been an issue since all the tweaking, so it's been on the back burner.

It took awhile to get it dialled in, but it tracks nice now and almost no wobble. I have to hit an obstacle at low speed to get any shake.I have a dampener on there, but it's set back to hardly any pressure. It just made the steering harder.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #89
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725

Leash wrapped around my leg once, tied into a loose knot. Will throw her clear in the event the shiny side goes down, yet still strong enough to keep her in the hack when those pesky cattle get too close.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #90
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,961
Ruffwear Webmaster

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-H...&category=1131

Justin likes Ruffwear but we need to rethink a mount, he makes up for my overbearing and boorish behavior with shy and retiring demeanor, unless your a streaky gopher or squirrel then your entitled to a quick death.
He prefers to be down in the front facing forward to rise and look out the side when we slow doesn't like his face in the wind. A wonderful fellow to travel with.DB

For rain the Tonneau.