User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
KnuckC OP
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Shorai Lithium Battery Experience

Instead of hijacking the best battery thread I thought I would start a new thread with respect to user's experiences using the Lithium Shorai battery.

I am very interested in this battery given the weight savings. If anyone could share their experience with this battery I am sure many of us would appreciate it.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
You might have better luck in equipment since this would apply to all bikes... most of us haven't tried them.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
KnuckC OP
F8er

Originally posted by EnderTheX:

Quote:
You might have better luck in equipment since this would apply to all bikes... most of us haven't tried them.
Your probably right, although I was hoping to get feedback specific to the F8.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Only issue with mine is you need to turn the ignition on and wake up the battery before cranking away when it is cold below 40 degrees. Battery Tender Plus does not hurt these batteries either. Yes they are very light and can crank. I got them in my dirt bikes as well. huge improvement over lead acid batteries.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
KnuckC OP
F8er

How long does it take to wake up?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I have the small box, 210CCA Shorai in my bike for about 4 weeks now. I'm in Southern California so the coldest it has been here is a couple of nights it has been down in the low 40s. I commute on my bike 3-5 days a week. I do not keep my bike on a tender.

The 'wake up' thing - I think I have had this once when the bike sat 5 or 6 days when it was raining and cold. I tried to fire the bike and got a short crank. I turned everything off and let the bike sit about 30 seconds and it fired right up.

Bad gas - I tried a new brand of gas. The next morning bike wouldn't fire. I cranked it for about 35 minutes until it finally turned over. Added 4 oz of techron later that day and haven't had a starting problem since.

Accessories - I'm running a GPS, 2 10W led driving lights and a USB socket that I use to charge my phone when I'm riding. I'm running all the accessories through a Fuzebox (integrated relay). 14g wire from the battery to the box, using the GPS 30 second delay trigger for the switched power items.

The battery is laughably tiny and light. When I start the bike it fires faster than it ever did with the stock battery (provided the motor is getting fuel properly).
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

When it is cold out just put a load on the battery for 30 seconds and she starts right up. Heated gloves or any accessory will do it.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Battery Tender Plus does not hurt these batteries either.
I read on the Shorai site do not use a battery tender that has a de-sulfation mode. I don't know about the battery tender plus but one of my newer schumacher tender/chargers has this mode.

I am waiting to see the price of the dedicated charger Shorai is building just for there batteries. (expected Mar-Apr 2011). It will connect to that 5 pin connector between the terminals. (Hope they sell a pig tail).

I don't need a battery right now, but I would buy one of these.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Deltran's Desulfation methods are not going to hurt the Shorai.
Some chargers will. I got 2 - 4 output chargers and do not want to see that go to waste. So if you don't already use one. Wait and buy the Shorai charger coming out soon. If you won Deltran products keep using them.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
I'm wanting to try Shorai - but have written 2 emails to them (from thier website) but have recived no reply. Now I see they are out of stock of both options for the F8. Anyone have any experience with the company I should be aware of? Do you guys that do have them did you buy direct from Shorai?
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
I'm wanting to try Shorai - but have written 2 emails to them (from thier website) but have recived no reply. Now I see they are out of stock of both options for the F8. Anyone have any experience with the company I should be aware of? Do you guys that do have them did you buy direct from Shorai?
I always use batterystuff.com. Cheaper prices and FREE shipping. They carry the LFX18A1-BS12, but also out of stock at the moment.

I checked the Shorai website to compare prices and they currently show out of stock for every battery listed on the site.
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
California Sport Touring

www.casporttouring.com has the LFX18A1-BS12 in stock for $176.95
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
I googled the battery - tried several dealers, including California Sport touring, and none of them had the 18 amp in stock. Got an email back from Shorai saying they would not be available until the end of April. Black Dog cycle works does have a 14 amp in stock (at least according to the website).

This was one of the questions I emailed Shorai about but did not get a response on this one. I have a voltmeter that I watch and I quite often will max out my alternator between heated gear and aux lights when I'm riding after dark. I never run anything without the engine running though, so would the 14 amp suffice or should I hold out until the 18 amp is available. Getting ready to head out on another trip and and according to my voltmeter on my last trip the stock battery is showing signs of petering out. (18,000 miles).
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl View Post
I am in Australia, and I ordered direct from Shorai. I had no trouble communicating with them ... my first contact was Aaron Jackson-Wilde the operations manager ... operations@shorai.org

I had asked if they would ship me a battery to Australia as they don't seem to have a distributor here. No problems I was told.

I did get an email from them last week telling me they were out of stock for a couple of weeks, but on Tueday a parcel from the US turned up with my battery!

I hope to install it today if I get time, but I have been showing it off (Its the "Heavy duty" 270 cranking amps one!) I weighed it and it weighs 963 grams out of the box. Everyone I show it to can't believe how light this thing is. I am begining to suspect that it may use the dark arts of magic to get down to that weight.

When I do the install I will weigh the original battery on the same scale just to see what the real diference in weight is.