Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
BMWHD passion OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question F800GSA - Woody's wheel set experience?

I searched, likley I am missing it, do not see any posts regarding 2014 F800 GSA riders who have switched wheels and tried Woody's.

If you did, hoping you will share results. Staying with 21/17 I assume?

I like idea of going tubeless and know the bike needs a stronger front rim. Conisdering the weight of the bike, loaded panniers often, occassionaly 2-up on backroads and trails. And when I do hit dirt/fire trail and such my agressive dirt riding can't help but jump out often so I think tubeless way to go. I HATE tube changing, especially in backwoods.
BMWHD passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
SpottheDogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Curious how do you seat a tubeless tire out in the wilderness? CO2?
1990 Honda VTR250 race bike
1974 Honda CB360 Café Racer
SpottheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottheDogg View Post
...you never break the bead? It's not like you need to stick a tube in...

As for Woody's. I have an '09 F8GS. Bought a Woody's front wheel, superlaced, large spokes, sealed, etc. It's a beautiful wheel and is strong. Been running it for a couple of years.
However I still use is the same a stock. IOW, I still run a tube. So I have no experience with the tubeless aspect.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
RightCoastBias
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Since the site doesn't have pricing, what is the cost of a set?
Old 03-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,405
Depends on what you consider a "set". Plan on $2K for rims for Excel Rim/Superlace. Add another $1K if you want "hot swappable" which includes both ABS rings, and both rotors.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Merlin32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Depends on what you consider a "set". Plan on $2K for rims for Excel Rim/Superlace. Add another $1K if you want "hot swappable" which includes both ABS rings, and both rotors.
Jeez, For that money you could buy a OEM Set WITH tires and carry them around as cargo. Heck- you can buy an extra used dirt bike for that matter.
Merlin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottheDogg View Post
I have done it many times with the 45 gram CO2 cartridges.
It is not easy but if you get the wheel off the ground and center the tire the sudden rush from the large CO2 cartridges does work.

But I run tubes in my bike and I can afford to go tubeless but prefer to air down with tubes off road.

Oh and Woody's wheels with superlace are the strongest wheels you can buy.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 03-15-2015 at 12:12 AM
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
twistdgas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
$3000? for a set of wheels? I have a 09 f800gs and the thought of 3k on a set of wheels is crazy. If you need those wheels to keep from bending your original rims then you bought the wrong bike for your riding application. Who would want to thrash a $15k bike that weighs 500 lbs to the point you need stronger wheels? Buy a plated dirt bike for those rides. You could take a $3k plated dirt bike and have a far greater time in the technical stuff than you ever could on the 500 lb pig all dolled up. I love my f800gs but I'm not trying to make a motocross bike out of it either. I have one of those..
twistdgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistdgas View Post
$3000? for a set of wheels? I have a 09 f800gs and the thought of 3k on a set of wheels is crazy. If you need those wheels to keep from bending your original rims then you bought the wrong bike for your riding application. Who would want to thrash a $15k bike that weighs 500 lbs to the point you need stronger wheels? Buy a plated dirt bike for those rides. You could take a $3k plated dirt bike and have a far greater time in the technical stuff than you ever could on the 500 lb pig all dolled up. I love my f800gs but I'm not trying to make a motocross bike out of it either. I have one of those..
I bought a 2012 Triple Black with 8K kms on it in 2013 for $3k. You figure it out.

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Merlin32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistdgas View Post
I 100% agree with this. Unless you are going out to the nether regions with it, you'll still need to have a spare tire anyway tho.
Merlin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 215
I'm riding a '13 F8 with a Woody's set. I went for a 21x1.85 and a 18x3.5. Both "super laced" with heavy duty spokes. The rear was taped to be able to use tubeless (and that is the way I ride it), but at the time I bought there wasn't a tubeless front rim option for the Excel rims. IMHO, the rear is the only one that needs to be tubeless. I can break the bead with my hand on the front, but the back is another story all together. So if I can put a plug in the rear to get home, that would be the preference.
My experiences:
last year I was dropping the pressure in both wheels for off road. I had a number of pinch flats on the front at about 18 to 20 psi. One led to a blow out on the highway at 100kph. That was scary, to say the least. Never a problem with the rear. Even down at 16 psi. I'm running K60s both ends.
Had an "incident" on a FSR in Montana. Sum it up that I had to lay the bike down to avoid a head on with a F150. After the bike was down the guy ran over my front wheel, bent one rotor and popped it off the floating rivets. I took the rotor off, eyeballed the rim and it was still true. Rode it home, another 1000 km or so.
I replaced the OEM set because the front rim bent on me. Small dent, but I didn't trust it. I know that rim would have been toast with a F150 running over it.
So, should you, and will you ride this 500 lb bike like a dirt bike? Sure thing if you want to, and you trust yourself to handle it. I've had this bike into remote regions, far from home that absolutely wouldn't be possible on a "plated dirt bike." There's no way I could live for weeks off the gear I could cary on a 400cc or smaller bike, let alone the comfort factor on a long road trip to the trails. That being said, there is lots of terrain that is too much for this bike, but I've been too busy riding to worry about what I'm missing.
Woody's wheels have been well worth it, and the customer service is just as good as the product.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 118
Woody's Wheel Works AWESOME !

They repaired my front rim Excel Rim/Super lacing after I bent stock rim in Moab it did not take much to bend the stock rim.

I ended screwing the repaired front wheel again after the repair Woody's built me another front rim with a used hub they had it done and sent to me in one day which saved my holiday.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
twistdgas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Know doubt Woody's wheels are the best. Not arguing that point. I am not some novice rider that likes to post how too's on line while my bike sits in my heated garage covered in a electric blanket for those extra cold winter nights, I have over 98,000 miles on my f800gs. You read right 98k MILES not kilometers. Never had an issue with the stock rims. My front one bent several times due to a direct hit to a rock but I simply aired down, and took an adjustable wrench to the bent area and walla. My bike has done it's fair share of off road, Camping trips, two up, you name it. Just saying that's a lot of coin to spend on a set of wheels when in fact upgrading the wheels would be one of the last modifications I would do. After crashbars, risers, windscreens, Luggage, Suspension, ect. By the time you put all the other upgrades on the f800gs you would have $25,000 in it. So looking at it from this point of view I can see why some folks would say, " what's 3 more thousand going to hurt" . Just my .02
twistdgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
BMWHD passion OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming. I've got my single track KTM350 when I go out for the real fun single track. I'm asking specficically on the GSA, as 500+ loaded I never intend to do the real trails, but in WA, OR, ID, trust me the forest roads do get into some quite agressive back woods.
Looking at Woodys because I've heard issues with soft front riim, and I've felt it too! Get bit wary when I pound over/down/up rocks and drainage paths that cannot avoid. I carry small compressor, Cycle Pump, have for decade now, works great to air back up before I jump back on highways. And to air up as needed on trips in whatver bike I'm riding. Tubless plugs have worked great in a pinch for me with other bikes. Agree that tubless with tube on this heavy beast make sense.
BMWHD passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
GPHusky250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
I don't want to say "most", but many bent rim stories get their start when the operator "airs down" too much. I've seen guys air down south of 20psi down in Mexico, only to hit a rock submerged under innocent looking sand.

Two schools of thought come into play...one camp says it's better to have tough Excel rims...(which might be what Woody is lacing up), that may thwart rim damage.

The other camp says that if you inadvertently damage the Excel rims, they aren't too easy to do a field repair on, while the stock (and soft) BMW rims can be bent or beat back into submission...talking F800GS/A here.

What it comes down to, as with all upgrades such as these rims, is to you think that your style of riding lends itself to a couple of thousand dollars in wheel upgrades. If so, spend the money and keep a good company like Woody's in business.

If not, put your money in suspension. :)

Some guys I ride with go through a ritual of airing up and down as they go from street to trail and back...but I don't. In many cases the benefits don't outweigh the risks....pinch flats, bent rims, sidewall damage...all for a perceived bit of a little more traction. On MX tracks I run my tires at 12-15psi since I know there aren't many rocks around, and if I break I push the bike back to the truck. 40 miles from pavement...bend up a rim because you're running too low of an air pressure for conditions and everything changes.

I read in this forum where a few recommended not running anything less than 28psi. I think the least I've ever run is 32psi and I haven't dented a rim to date.

As for the $25,000 dollar figure, I'd say that's fairly accurate. Let's see F8GSA plus...lower seat, BD skid plate, TT Extreme Suspension, GPS, In Reach, soft bags, camping equipment, KLIM gear, XD-4, radiator guards, light guards, rotopax and BD rear rack, TT crash bars, tires every 4k miles...it's getting up there close. :) But I'm enjoying the heck out of it...heading out Wednesday to explore the remote regions of Death Valley while it's still cool enough to do so.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote