Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #76
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Peter Stevens told me the XD4 will be in store in 4 weeks. $800 for graphics and $700 for solid colours.

Marked price on all XD3's was $599 - wouldn't budge from the stickered price of $599 yet !
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #77
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 441
Just ordered and paid for mine today but not sure when it will be here. It appears on the Cassons website and Arai's Australian site so hopefully not long.

Tried ordering it a few weeks back but it wasn't able to be even backordered as Cassons did not have it in their computer then (nice young girl at the store phoned them and that was the story she got back).

All plain and Extreme (what they call the models with some stripes, why they are worth $100 more than the plain has me stuffed, they don't look that Extreme) models (compared to their American website) available with one exception, the bright yellow plain one.

While it was a little bright it would certainly stand out from a safety perspective, especially in the bush where if something was coming the opposite direction over a rise the helmet is the first thing they would see.

I wonder if has something to do with the obtaining of the AS rating, maybe there is more involved than putting a sticker on it, hence the higher Australian price tag. You know, the more models and options they bring in the more cost involved in getting the certification so a commercial decision is made as to what they think will sell and what won't. Either way, I wasn't prepared to take the risk in a worst case scenario regarding insurances, waste of time paying into them to then potentially voiding them trying to save a few dollars.

Cheers
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #78
Mike.C OP
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 576
They are getting closer.

The Cassons rep called me from Bayside Yamaha yesterday (fantastic) and said they expect stock to land on the 7th June, with availability soon after just in time to install the Comms and break it in for the APC.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #79
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,907
The XD4 has arrived

Looks nice, smells a lot nicer than my old one, 3 hours until test ride
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #80
Mike.C OP
Stelvio Dreamer!

yep, got a call from Bayside Yamaha that ours are in as well. Pick em up Saturday.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #81
shedmarket
Chris

Mine arrived today with the additional mild tint visor.

Only had a chance for a quick try on to check size, looking forward to a ride with it on although the weather for the next week here is looking pretty dismal. (why isn't there one of these with a little fella with rain pissing down on him, it would be very apt for bike riders)

No hurry I suppose.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #82
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Do the rest of you have a silly safety tag atatched to the liner + covering up one of the internal vents? What pen pushing moron thought that one up?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #83
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Got mine on Tuesday Couldn't be happier. Looks quite different sitting alongside the earlier one. Feels better, but that's probably because it's new; a lot more ventilation too, though I haven't had a chance to see how effective it is yet. Visors look the same but I haven't tried to fit the old tinted one. And yes, it's got a silly tag
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #84
Mike.C OP
Stelvio Dreamer!

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you blokes being charged for them?

I have been too scared to ask how much they are going to sting me when I pick em up on Staurday.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #85
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

$699 is retail price. Bargain.

I've tried to work out how old my tourance is...I've got pictures of me riding my transalp with it so at least 8 years. That's 8 years of both ADV riding AND dirt riding - my top of the range fox lid that I bought just before the arai literally hasn't been used ! (OK, once- a 40 degree day, trail ride...the fox ventilates better but isn't as comfortable)

Hopefully in another 8 years I'll still be riding
Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #86
Mike.C OP
Stelvio Dreamer!

That's amazing given that they are about $535 for solid colours and $635 for pattern colours in the USA.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #87
drchupachup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
it's not amazing at all, thats the usual shitty deal.

the only reasonable justification i can think of is that the market over there is 15x bigger than ours (based on population only).
drchupachup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #88
shedmarket
Chris

I paid $699 for the helmet and $100 for a light tint visor. the dealer than gave me an $80 discount (10% basically). Still haven't had time to have a good play and pull apart, that will be tonight.Weather will dictate if a ride happens on Sunday, working tomorrow till lunch but if it is fine when I finish a quick run around may also be on the cards.

There would be a few reasons for the higher price than the old USA. Over there the visor that comes with the helmet does not accept the pin lock system, here it is standard so that would have to cost something as a different production/assembly line run. There has to be the Australian standards compliance costs factored across what would really be a small market (by worldwide volumes). Then you have stocking, handling and freight costs for again a small market, which would also need a higher profit percentage to justify doing it. Then you have advertising, warranty handling, etc., the usual add on costs of running a business that have to be paid somehow.

Not making excuses for them, just justifying it to myself I suppose.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #89
BIGCOD
the desert ninja

Oddometer: 156
Lets see some pix of these new helmets guys! $699 is pretty good! Im thinking about going for hi viz orange to match my KTM just gotta save up the c-ash......
BIGCOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #90
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,626
Are they bringing in the high viz model this time?

Inquiries in April said no.

The Oz market doesn't seem to cater for the hi viz helmet in any brand.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote