User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
porschenator OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
F800GS Shifting Issues

All, just put my first long trip on the GS...(new 2011)......in the last 200 mi. (of approx. 1500 mi.).... Two issues develop: in the up-shift from first to second it starts to 'hang' in neutral; and, while in 6th....the 'gear indicator' display shows "6th"....then "5th"....- alternating......that part appears to be a faulty sensor.......has anyone experienced either problem?

Thx,

Kim
porschenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
I had the first to second problem when I put my TT gearshift on, but was just me being lazy and not doing a positive shift.. also depended what boots I had on.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 602
I noticed that mine started doing that about then. I changed the oil at about 3k, seemed to go away, im at 6k now, and it seems like its starting again, time for another oil change i guess... Cant tell if im getting lazy, or if it is sloppy. Mine definatly does not do the 5-6 thing though...

Ryan
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
I've noticed that mine does the 5th to 6th thing on cold days.

Around freezing point the gearshift gets notchy, and I've hit a couple of neutrals going 1st to 2nd. Sometimes the gear indicator seems to go nuts after this has happened. It shows 1st, then 2nd, then 4th and 3rd flash up. As soon as I get it back into gear it shows the correct gear. Downshifting quickly at the traffic lights while it's still warming up produces some interesting readings. It seems to flash random gear numbers. As soon as I take off it sorts itself out.

Going to top gear it feels like it's not shifting far enough in one stroke. Sometimes the 6th indicator comes on, sometimes it shows nothing and sometimes it shows 5th. If I have another go at shifting it seems to go about half travel and then everything's ok.

Only when it's cold.

5th to 6th has a funny double action shift feel to it. Like it completes the shift, but if you relax slightly then continue it shifts a little further. This settles down when hot, but never completely leaves.

My F800 had 16800km on it when I bought it, and it has 24000 odd kms now. It hasn't got worse.

Yet.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
On the gear indicator: there is a thread somewhere on taking the sender unit apart and cleaning it, something I would do if needed once the bike is out of warranty - but if yours is still under warranty, I'd sure get the sender replaced @ no charge

On shifting: Has the bike been dropped on the left side?
Apparently the internal shift lever can be bent fairly easily and if so would give issue you are having.... Not a very hard thing to get to for inspection.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Looked like brand new when I bought it. I mistook it for a demo model. I haven't dropped it, no signs that anyone else has. They tell me it was never dropped, but ....you know....

I pushed it out of the way at the service station the other day and caught the side stand and sort of almost kind of dropped it slowly with much assistance onto it's right side. But that's it.

As it went over I grabbed the bars and followed it down. It didn't hit hard. Didn't even mark the barkbuster.

It's going to get much worse than that.

Funny they don't have a folding gear lever as standard on a "dual sport" marketed bike though? I'd have thought that was a "given".
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
MOBiWan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
My new 2011 does the 5/6 indicator flashy thing. It shifts into 6th with no problem but when i'm on the highway sometimes is will flicker back and forth on the dash. My dealer seemed unconcerned, plus he is 200 miles away, so i'll have them look at it when i next go in for service.

The only times i have problems getting into second is if I lazy shift. So i don't seem to have any "mechanical issues" as far as that's concerned.

Thanks
Mike
MOBiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Have a 2011 with 4500 km. Have the shifting issue on occaision but it seems its just more me being lazy than a bike issue.

Did have the indicator going nuts on me. For awhile when in 3rd, the indicator would run up and down the gears and sometimes just turn off. Then it would switch over and do it when in 4th. Sometimes it would just work fine. Dealer replaced the sender under warranty.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Oddward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I dont have the 1st to 2nd shift issue, but occasionally when running in 6th the indicator will disappear leaving a blank area of screen.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Looked like brand new when I bought it. I mistook it for a demo model. I haven't dropped it, no signs that anyone else has. They tell me it was never dropped, but ....you know....

I pushed it out of the way at the service station the other day and caught the side stand and sort of almost kind of dropped it slowly with much assistance onto it's right side. But that's it.

As it went over I grabbed the bars and followed it down. It didn't hit hard. Didn't even mark the barkbuster.

It's going to get much worse than that.

Funny they don't have a folding gear lever as standard on a "dual sport" marketed bike though? I'd have thought that was a "given".
Apparently it does not take much of a knock to bend the thing....
If under warranty, I'd ask them to inspect it...

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=627917&page=2
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
porschenator OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Shifting

Thanks to all for comments......the trip took me through 'break-in, and the bike used an 'indicated' quart of oil during the first 1500 mi.......that's when the first-to-second hang appeared (about the last 200 miles of the ride.....) I suspect from the similar comments it's an indicator of minimum oil......as for the electronic indicator, suspect it's the sending unit.....on a short ride tonight, I just nudged the shift lever up a fraction with my toe, and the indicator went to the correct read of "6", no problem......off to the dealer, under warranty for replacement,,,,,thanks all!

Kim
porschenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #12
Johnson0311
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 54
I rode around 100 miles today and although it was mixed conditions of sun and rain. While I was focusing intently on the roadway I was distracted my sixth gear indicator flickering. I did not notice it dropping into fifth gear but just flicker. Very strange.
Johnson0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
LaPorte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
5th to 6th

I have only had a problem shifting from 5th to 6th. I find a false neutral. I don't think it the bike as much as it's me. I changed the shift lever to something to allow me to ware boots when I ride. The missing of the shift to 6th started to happen after that. So now I pay attention when shifting to 6th gear. If I don't get lazy when I shift, I don't have the problem.

LaPorte
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
On the 1200 if you disconnect the gear sensor turn the bike on, count to 10, turn the bike off, then reconnect the sensor, it resets itself during the first ride. I am not sure if this will work on the 800 but it should not hurt to try. On the right hand side of the bike the sensor is about an inch below the driving sprocket in the 5:00 o'clock position relative to the center of the sprocket. Find the wire coming out and disconnect, then reconnect after turning the bike on and off. Make sure the wire is not loose also. Dave
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
On the 1200 if you disconnect the gear sensor turn the bike on, count to 10, turn the bike off, then reconnect the sensor, it resets itself during the first ride. I am not sure if this will work on the 800 but it should not hurt to try. On the right hand side of the bike the sensor is about an inch below the driving sprocket in the 5:00 o'clock position relative to the center of the sprocket. Find the wire coming out and disconnect, then reconnect after turning the bike on and off. Make sure the wire is not loose also. Dave
Weird .... in what position should the shift lever be when you do this?
Neutral?