User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
okennon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Clutch clunking noise

Is it my '06 GS with less than 30K miles making that noise or is this an expected sound on all the older bikes? It occurs when engaging and disengaging. It kind of sounds like two dry surfaces mating and separating.
It's really evident when off road and doing slow single track where you're doing repetitive squeeze and let go . Thanks
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by okennon View Post
Is it my '06 GS with less than 30K miles making that noise or is this an expected sound on all the older bikes? It occurs when engaging and disengaging. It kind of sounds like two dry surfaces mating and separating.
It's really evident when off road and doing slow single track where you're doing repetitive squeeze and let go . Thanks
You might want to remove the starter and have a look....
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
okennon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
So what am I looking for ?

It's working perfectly well as far as I can tell. I just don't recall my RT making all that racket.
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,444
Diagnosing noises on the internet is pretty hit and miss. That said, there is a fair amount of driveline lash on these bikes that will result in clunking both on and off throttle and with the clutch at low speed.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
ADV Shark
Banned

Oddometer: 16
Well FWIW my 09 GSA just rolled over 80k this week and its been making the sound you described. It's been making that sound for as long as I can remember. It's still going strong with out any problems. Maybe that help you rest better tonight
ADV Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
It's working perfectly well as far as I can tell. I just don't recall my RT making all that racket.
Perhaps taking your RT off-road might divulge the same noise. Different riding, methinks.

Perhaps you are declutching too much and allowing the drive line to rebound and provide all it's slack before the clutch is reengaged again. The noise likely occurs when the clutch is reengaged abruptly. I think you should pull the clutch lever in a little less and keep the driveline under a little tension at all times with more than zero throttle. I don't mean slip the s**t out of the clutch plate, but rather use finer throttle control when you release the clutch. IOW, reduce your throttle when you, more slowly, release the clutch. The goal is to keep the engine and the trans closely matched in RPM w/o stalling the engine yet keep tension on the geartrain and still provide forward thrust. Just like taking off from a stop, I think you should advance the throttle in a way that matches the load.

A little slipping of the clutch isn't bad, but a lot of slipping is! Your right and left hand should work together. It's quite alright to partially declutch.

If I'm not being very clear then I want you to remember that the clutch lever is not a light switch; on or off. Work the friction zone, but don't keep a wide variation between the engine's RPM and the gearbox's RPM.

Clear as mud, right?!

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
It is a dry clutch and two dry surfaces re mating and separating.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Shark View Post
Well FWIW my 09 GSA just rolled over 80k this week and its been making the sound you described. It's been making that sound for as long as I can remember. It's still going strong with out any problems. Maybe that help you rest better tonight
I have the same bike and tell the same story, just not as many miles...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote