ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,919
GS-W Final Drive Oil Change - Have you heard this?

Today, two of my friends told me that dealers had told them to fill the final drive from the hole half way up instead of from the fill hole. This requires removing the wheel, or so they were told.

What gives with this advice? Why would putting in 180 ML from the middle hole be better than from the top hole?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,874
You act like you're a bit perplexed that a dealer gave out some misinformation.

RepROM shows filling from the aft fill plug just like has been the case since BMW first put the little doodad there (2006?)
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
You act like you're a bit perplexed that a dealer gave out some misinformation.

RepROM shows filling from the aft fill plug just like has been the case since BMW first put the little doodad there (2006?)
Ha. Yeah, but it was 2 different friends and 2 different dealers.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,874
I'm not even sure that I understand what hole the dealer is telling them to fill from.
My FD has a fill hole on the very rear and a drain hole at the very bottom, I do not see another hole that I could use to fill the FD and would require removing the wheel to access.
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,429
The previous R1200 models required removing the wheel to get to the fill plug but 180ml was still the amount.

I have heard stories of dealer filling until it come out the threads of the fill plug. This would be about 250ml.

The moral of these stories is do you own maintenance.
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA
2014 S1000R
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: New England, US
Oddometer: 321
If you look at the final drive single parts fiche, you can see that there are 2 identical fill plugs (strangely they are allens instead of torx like the drain plug, some cheapass didn't spec torx there). The one situated on the vertical surface, just outside of the flange, pointing in the same direction as the lug nuts, is the one my dealer said to use. I assume this prevents overfilling it, although with a 207 ml bottle you can't really overfill it that much. If you used the upper fill plug and a larger bottle, you could then blow out the seals, I suppose.

BTW, at 12k my final drive oil had about 1/2 dozen small bits of plastic from the seals in it, no metal at all.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS-LC
2008 Suzuki DRZ400
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gr8ridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kern River Valley, CA
Oddometer: 375
no need to remove anything. The fill is between the legs of the rear splash guard. Use a syringe and extension tube to fill between the splash guard legs. The manual calls for 180cc oil once drained.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 R1200GS W
White, Enduro Pkg, Comfort Pkg, CC, Spoke Wheels
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Twisted1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Today, two of my friends told me that dealers had told them to fill the final drive from the hole half way up instead of from the fill hole. This requires removing the wheel, or so they were told.

What gives with this advice? Why would putting in 180 ML from the middle hole be better than from the top hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Ha. Yeah, but it was 2 different friends and 2 different dealers.
Measure when you drain it. If none leaked out, then you should still be at the factory fill level.

My 2014 GSW drained out just a c-hair more than 180ml.
I marked that level in my measurer, and refilled it with fresh fluid. Then I put a small tube on the end of a small funnel and poured in my measured amount of clean fluid.

It was pretty nasty, so ill prob dump it again in another 600 miles or so. .
Twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
cessnadog
Adventurer
 
cessnadog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 76
The factory fill is black. Not sure what they add but it does look nasty. I do not believe it is moly as one of the K16 guys had it analyzed and moly didn't show up.
cessnadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #10
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
Measure when you drain it. If none leaked out, then you should still be at the factory fill level.

My 2014 GSW drained out just a c-hair more than 180ml.
I marked that level in my measurer, and refilled it with fresh fluid. Then I put a small tube on the end of a small funnel and poured in my measured amount of clean fluid.

It was pretty nasty, so ill prob dump it again in another 600 miles or so. .
The initial factory fill is 200ml
__________________
Not for the meek.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Today, two of my friends told me that dealers had told them to fill the final drive from the hole half way up instead of from the fill hole. This requires removing the wheel, or so they were told.

What gives with this advice? Why would putting in 180 ML from the middle hole be better than from the top hole?
IMHO the dealers are going on instinct from the 2011-2012 GS FDs in which this works OK and gets around 190-200ml of oil in the FD. Problem is, these are not the same FDs. Stick with the book on this one. Dealer techs are notoriously lazy and don't want to bother measuring it out.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
ctramp
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Boston
Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadog View Post
The factory fill is black. Not sure what they add but it does look nasty. I do not believe it is moly as one of the K16 guys had it analyzed and moly didn't show up.
Sure smells like moly. I wonder what the analysis showed?

BTW, I used a turkey baster for the fill -- nicely marked in ml gradations. Saved some slurping. (Original factory fill measured 180 ml, but I didn't wait for every last drop.)
ctramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
JCMagoo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JCMagoo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctramp View Post
Sure smells like moly. I wonder what the analysis showed?

BTW, I used a turkey baster for the fill -- nicely marked in ml gradations. Saved some slurping. (Original factory fill measured 180 ml, but I didn't wait for every last drop.)
I would guess graphite. I'm curious about the results too.
JCMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
cessnadog
Adventurer
 
cessnadog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 76
K1600 thread here:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...drive-oil.html
cessnadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,578
Interesting. I too thought it was Moly paste. Whatever it was, it did not completely mix with the gear oil. When I did the 600 mile service on my camhead FD it came out only partially mixed with the oil and partly glopped out. They also put it into the transmission too.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014