User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Trussmky OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
hand guards vs. bar weights

A set of the SW-Motech Kobra hand guards I ordered for my '05 GS finally arrived. They look nice, but they require the removal of the bar-end weights for installation.

Does anybody else run without the weights? I'm Not concerned about losing the friction throttle lock, I don't really like it anyway, but I am concerned about additional vibration on long rides.

Any thoughts?
Trussmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,951
You will notice some extra vibrations through the bars, my best advice is that you try it for a short time to see if it is overly objectionable to you.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,591
That's pretty much a given with any of the hand guards - I don't think you will even notice the difference, I haven't on any of my bikes. If vibrations bother you on the bars, try a set of inexpensive "Grip Buddies", the neoprene cover will dampen the vibes more than bar end weights.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
That's pretty much a given with any of the hand guards - I don't think you will even notice the difference, I haven't on any of my bikes. If vibrations bother you on the bars, try a set of inexpensive "Grip Buddies", the neoprene cover will dampen the vibes more than bar end weights.
Depends on the weights. Bar end weights sort of dampen vibes, but not much. Grip puppies, I've found, tend to make your grip larger, and have give as your hands naturally tighten from the vibration. Have only ever found one bar end solution that has worked, and that was a set of vibrantors. Unfortunatly, they do not make them for stock BMW bars.

(I have multiple long term injuries in my hands, shoulder, and neck from computer work over the years. It sounds silly, but it is very debilitating at times and makes you very aware of vibrations on a motorcycle)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
Depends on the weights. Bar end weights sort of dampen vibes, but not much. Grip puppies, I've found, tend to make your grip larger, and have give as your hands naturally tighten from the vibration. Have only ever found one bar end solution that has worked, and that was a set of vibrantors. Unfortunatly, they do not make them for stock BMW bars.

(I have multiple long term injuries in my hands, shoulder, and neck from computer work over the years. It sounds silly, but it is very debilitating at times and makes you very aware of vibrations on a motorcycle)
Doesn't sound silly at all. We weren't designed to sit at a desk and type.
Have you ever tried a bar snake? http://www.barsnake.com/

I know a few riders who've had good luck with it.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 846
Try different guards?

Why is it either guards or weights with these guards? The BMW guards that my bike came with allow the weights to stay on. Maybe try those instead? (From what I found online, the SW Motech guards don't seem to be any larger.)
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Trussmky OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
Why is it either guards or weights with these guards? The BMW guards that my bike came with allow the weights to stay on. Maybe try those instead? (From what I found online, the SW Motech guards don't seem to be any larger.)
I recently laid my bike over and cracked one of the original hand guards.

According to the parts fiche at Max BMW, the original ones are no longer made and require replacing both for them to match. For about the same price,I could get a set with a metal bar as the main support. Theoretically providing more protection.

The metal bar is not long enough to screw into the end of the weight, and reach past the clutch/brake reservoir to attach to the handlebar. The kit does include the hardware required to replace the weights, but I don't see a way to attach them otherwise.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Trussmky OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I do have a pair of grip buddies. I love the larger diameter of the grip with them on.

I mounted them and went for a 60 mile ride.

The vibes are not bad, except between 4000 and 4500 RPM(80-85 mph aka west coast highway speed) I had those vibes even with the weights, so I didn't see much difference.

If the weights don't absorb much vibration, is there a secondary purpose for them?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
Have only ever found one bar end solution that has worked, and that was a set of vibrantors. Unfortunatly, they do not make them for stock BMW bars.
I have vibranators in three GS's...?
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
The Acerbis ones use stock weights as well...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Trussmky OP
n00b

VegasGSA, what size Vibrinator works in the BMW's? I didn't see any specified for BMW, and I don't have my bar ID handy.

Acerbis shows their hand guards are for '06 GSA or '07 GS and later. Is there anything you can think of that would prevent them from fitting on an '05?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trussmky View Post
VegasGSA, what size Vibrinator works in the BMW's? I didn't see any specified for BMW, and I don't have my bar ID handy.

Acerbis shows their hand guards are for '06 GSA or '07 GS and later. Is there anything you can think of that would prevent them from fitting on an '05?
To be honest, i have no idea..i just went to the shop and Don screwed them in my old bike..my new one (at the time) and my wife's F650...

The bend of the bars is very different for '05 and '06...whether it's in directions that would affect the Acerbis is a question for Touratech...

We put them on the 650 with stock end weights and I know that's how they go on the 1200 as well...but mine is an '08....never shopped for them for my old '05.

Sorry...can't be more help..

Call Don at Ricor and speak with him directly.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,436
Not sure of the fit, but for those running bark buster brand or style guards, they have a weight that works WITH hand guards. Aint cheap, but hey.... you own a BMW, right?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...FYtAMgodJHUAxw

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
BigIz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Just filled my handlebar with stainless shot -- that along with a throttle synch and my fingers no longer go numb while riding.
BigIz is offline   Reply With Quote