User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Brian Raburn OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Alaska Roads?

We are planning a trip to Alaska next summer on the Harley's. Taking the Ferry up from Seattle and driving the bikes back to the Seattle. Does anyone know how the roads are for street bikes?
Brian Raburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Raburn View Post
We are planning a trip to Alaska next summer on the Harley's. Taking the Ferry up from Seattle and driving the bikes back to the Seattle. Does anyone know how the roads are for street bikes?
Some are OK for street weenies, others not so much...where are you planning to ride?... "Alaska" covers a lot of territory.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,607
The roads to Alaska (ALCAN and Cassiar) are 100% paved. You will undoubtedly hit construction and frost heaves (particularly between Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek), but 100s of Harleys make the trip every year. Last year the Hoka Hey rally ended in Homer and that was a 100% Harley event. The roads in Alaska are fine for any bike. The two major roads (Parks Hwy and the Richardson are generaly well maintained. I'd advise against riding any of the major dirt roads (Denali, Dalton, Elliot beyond milepost 72 or the Steese beyond about milepost 60). Harleys have made on these roads but it can be a nightmare if things go wrong. Fairbanks has a Harley shop (Farthest North Outpost) and Thunder Road (a private shop that specializes in HD); Los Anchorage has the Harley Shop (not sure of the name). In the summer it is best to have an appointment for regular maintenance; Alaska shops get real busy in the summer.

You can easily ride to Alaska and from Homer to Fairbanks to Valdez and points between.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Brian Raburn OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
We are going to take Ferry up from Seattle with some others get as close to Fairbanks as possible and ride the Alcan back then on to Seattle then on to Sandy Oregon Where we all are from.We all have road bikes( Harleys).Trying to figure out camping vs Motels road conditions facilities what months to go or any other information we can collect.
Any information would be very appreciated!
Brian Raburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
I did Alaska last summer with my brother who was riding Vulcan Nomad with his wife and pulling a pop up tent trailer. He made it and he isn't a very good rider. The only places he had problems was in a few of the construction zones.

We rode the ferry on the way back from Skagway to Prince Ruppert. That was the worst part of the trip. It rains most of the time along the coast and riding the ferry is boring. Plus we didn't see much because if was socked in with clouds and rain. I would never do it again. I would rather ride.

I camped all but 2 nights when it was raining really hard. There are plenty of campgrounds. You can save a lot of money camping. We also cooked most of our meals, which also saved a lot of money.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,607
Go over to the Alaska forum; search, read, ask. Check the link in my sig line for cheap housing in Fairbanks. Be prepared to ride in 40 degree temps in the rain (heated gear and rain gear) and be prepared to ride in sunny 80 degree weather. Bugs= head nets and bug dope. Be able to fix a flat on the side of the road.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,501
Hello and welcome ADVn00b Brian Raburn! Now go fill out your profile.

I recommend getting a copy of The Milepost. While it has almost TOO much info it'll be helpful.

I highly recommend NOT taking the ferry from Bellingham, WA but instead riding to Prince Rupert BC and doing the 2 day ferry ride from there north to Haines, AK. The roads in and out of those 2 places are great. And if you choose to book r/t the operator of the vehicle goes for free. Look in my sig line for more info on riding the Ferry and a few other areas around AK.

Here's a great m/c campground in Tok: http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/

And the House of Harley in Anchorage has free camping in a grassy area next to the shop that includes a code access shower room. The Motoquest Tours and m/c rental shop is right next to it as well. Great folks.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Raburn View Post
Well... the Alcan was okay for a couple of my buddies on their Harleys 49 years ago, and it's been paved, straightened, and shortened since then, so you could probably consider it doable.

After innumerable trips back and forth, all on street bikes, and seeing literally thousands of riders bring their HDs (and other makes of cruisers) over the Alcan to tour our state, it appears to be suitable for most any rider. There's always the exception, of course.

I'll echo earlier comments regarding the ferry all the way from Bellingham. Too danged long and boring, plus, you'll miss some good riding through B.C. Ride to Prince Rupert to catch the ferry. Going back south, swing east and take the Icefields Parkway through Alberta's Rockies. Nothing like it.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote