Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #1276
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
It sure seems like it.

Although I haven't heard any NCAA sanctions rumors. Fill me in.
Read it here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...tion-scenarios
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1277
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Thanks for the link. I missed this story entirely. Which isn't surprising... I miss a lot of things.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1278
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Screw it, the only difference between college and NFL is ones paid millions while the other thousands.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #1279
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Screw it, the only difference between college and NFL is ones paid millions while the other thousands.
Are we talking players or coaches? Coaches at the college level can make mega-millions. Players just have to hide their money better.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1280
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Here is a pretty cool little side bet that the Mayor of Seattle and Atlanta had.

http://seattletimes.com/html/edcetera/index.html

Falcons flag flew over Seattle yesterday.

liquidsmile screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:53 PM
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #1281
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Here is a pretty cool little side bet that the Mayor of Seattle and Atlanta had.

http://seattletimes.com/html/edcetera/index.html

Falcons flag flew over Seattle yesterday.
The saving grace is that it is so foggy no one can see it
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #1282
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Are we talking players or coaches? Coaches at the college level can make mega-millions. Players just have to hide their money better.
The players, you see them with this sob story child hood with no money then dressed to the T in designer clothes while not working a job. The top head coaches make serious bank, I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #1283
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,157
Quote:
I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
The cost of a free education?

And maybe a couple of a thousand buck gift cards at Gamestop, Subway and the drugstore.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1284
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
The players, you see them with this sob story child hood with no money then dressed to the T in designer clothes while not working a job. The top head coaches make serious bank, I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
I agree. Those players should be paid. I don't have a clue how much; I haven't thought about it that much

I played football in college and the NCAA rules were insane on what you could or could not do. Don't get me wrong: the scholarship was fantastic, but that scholarship was for academics, not football. Getting paid for football would have been nice.

Then again, I do see the other side of the coin: big schools will be able to pay more, thus attracting the best players. I guess there's a huge opportunity for outright bribery. But isn't it already this way?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1285
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I agree. Those players should be paid. I don't have a clue how much; I haven't thought about it that much

I played football in college and the NCAA rules were insane on what you could or could not do. Don't get me wrong: the scholarship was fantastic, but that scholarship was for academics, not football. Getting paid for football would have been nice.

Then again, I do see the other side of the coin: big schools will be able to pay more, thus attracting the best players. I guess there's a huge opportunity for outright bribery. But isn't it already this way?
Maybe set a cap of like 50 grand per player and schools can only pay so much....So when a player gets hurt who pays for all the surgeries and medical visits?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #1286
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Maybe set a cap of like 50 grand per player and schools can only pay so much....So when a player gets hurt who pays for all the surgeries and medical visits?
Two concussions, one separated shoulder, one broken collar bone, one blown ACL, one hyper-extended elbow, one strained ankle... I never paid a dime. The university took care of everything. All the medical stuff was handled by the university department of medicine. Those were all separate instances, by the way, over three and a half years. Oh, and I got some dirt in my eye once, and that really stung.

But I'm with you... I like the salary cap idea.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1287
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Two concussions, one separated shoulder, one broken collar bone, one blown ACL, one hyper-extended elbow, one strained ankle... I never paid a dime. The university took care of everything. All the medical stuff was handled by the university department of medicine. Those were all separate instances, by the way, over three and a half years. Oh, and I got some dirt in my eye once, and that really stung.

But I'm with you... I like the salary cap idea.
Its just you see some of these guys really mess themselves up and not make the NFL and have absolutely no way of making a living. I always wondered who paid all the medical bills and such...

I also think that athletes should have to do at least 2 years in college before being able to be drafted, and have a marketable degree.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #1288
Hodag OP
native

Oddometer: 22,792
I heard the cheatriots just signed lance armstrong as the new strength and condiotioning coach...
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1289
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Its just you see some of these guys really mess themselves up and not make the NFL and have absolutely no way of making a living. I always wondered who paid all the medical bills and such...

I also think that athletes should have to do at least 2 years in college before being able to be drafted, and have a marketable degree.
I've been really lucky... no long term physical problems, although I sure can't run a 4-minute mile. Not that I ever could. As for those concussions.... uh, what was I talking about? Anyway, I'm 44 now and no serious mental issues. So far. We'll see.

And I like to think I was smart because I did finish my degree,and even go on to get a master's. So football really paid for my education, and even though I had a tryout with the Houston Oilers (remember them?) and never made the NFL, I still came out okay.

But if I had long-term mental or physical problems now... all those medical bills would be on me. For some guys, it's do-or-die and playing college football could really screw them up for life. I think the NCAA does quite a lot to get these kids to get a degree, but you can lead a horse to water, but....
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #1290
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
I heard the cheatriots just signed lance armstrong as the new strength and condiotioning coach...
Would that be similar to a conditioning coach?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: