ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #1276
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer
 
liquidsmile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
It sure seems like it.

Although I haven't heard any NCAA sanctions rumors. Fill me in.
Read it here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...tion-scenarios
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1277
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Thanks for the link. I missed this story entirely. Which isn't surprising... I miss a lot of things.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #1278
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 654
Screw it, the only difference between college and NFL is ones paid millions while the other thousands.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #1279
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Screw it, the only difference between college and NFL is ones paid millions while the other thousands.
Are we talking players or coaches? Coaches at the college level can make mega-millions. Players just have to hide their money better.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1280
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer
 
liquidsmile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Oddometer: 1,352
Here is a pretty cool little side bet that the Mayor of Seattle and Atlanta had.

http://seattletimes.com/html/edcetera/index.html

Falcons flag flew over Seattle yesterday.

liquidsmile screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 02:53 PM
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #1281
Tork
Pinsetter
 
Tork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Duvall, WA.
Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Here is a pretty cool little side bet that the Mayor of Seattle and Atlanta had.

http://seattletimes.com/html/edcetera/index.html

Falcons flag flew over Seattle yesterday.
The saving grace is that it is so foggy no one can see it
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #1282
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Are we talking players or coaches? Coaches at the college level can make mega-millions. Players just have to hide their money better.
The players, you see them with this sob story child hood with no money then dressed to the T in designer clothes while not working a job. The top head coaches make serious bank, I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #1283
bobobob
badbadbad
 
bobobob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: On a hill
Oddometer: 5,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
The cost of a free education?

And maybe a couple of a thousand buck gift cards at Gamestop, Subway and the drugstore.
__________________
.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1284
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
The players, you see them with this sob story child hood with no money then dressed to the T in designer clothes while not working a job. The top head coaches make serious bank, I kinda think the players should get a cut since they are the schools cash cow.
I agree. Those players should be paid. I don't have a clue how much; I haven't thought about it that much

I played football in college and the NCAA rules were insane on what you could or could not do. Don't get me wrong: the scholarship was fantastic, but that scholarship was for academics, not football. Getting paid for football would have been nice.

Then again, I do see the other side of the coin: big schools will be able to pay more, thus attracting the best players. I guess there's a huge opportunity for outright bribery. But isn't it already this way?
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1285
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I agree. Those players should be paid. I don't have a clue how much; I haven't thought about it that much

I played football in college and the NCAA rules were insane on what you could or could not do. Don't get me wrong: the scholarship was fantastic, but that scholarship was for academics, not football. Getting paid for football would have been nice.

Then again, I do see the other side of the coin: big schools will be able to pay more, thus attracting the best players. I guess there's a huge opportunity for outright bribery. But isn't it already this way?
Maybe set a cap of like 50 grand per player and schools can only pay so much....So when a player gets hurt who pays for all the surgeries and medical visits?
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #1286
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Maybe set a cap of like 50 grand per player and schools can only pay so much....So when a player gets hurt who pays for all the surgeries and medical visits?
Two concussions, one separated shoulder, one broken collar bone, one blown ACL, one hyper-extended elbow, one strained ankle... I never paid a dime. The university took care of everything. All the medical stuff was handled by the university department of medicine. Those were all separate instances, by the way, over three and a half years. Oh, and I got some dirt in my eye once, and that really stung.

But I'm with you... I like the salary cap idea.
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1287
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: green bay, wi
Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Two concussions, one separated shoulder, one broken collar bone, one blown ACL, one hyper-extended elbow, one strained ankle... I never paid a dime. The university took care of everything. All the medical stuff was handled by the university department of medicine. Those were all separate instances, by the way, over three and a half years. Oh, and I got some dirt in my eye once, and that really stung.

But I'm with you... I like the salary cap idea.
Its just you see some of these guys really mess themselves up and not make the NFL and have absolutely no way of making a living. I always wondered who paid all the medical bills and such...

I also think that athletes should have to do at least 2 years in college before being able to be drafted, and have a marketable degree.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #1288
Hodag OP
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
I heard the cheatriots just signed lance armstrong as the new strength and condiotioning coach...
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #1289
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
Its just you see some of these guys really mess themselves up and not make the NFL and have absolutely no way of making a living. I always wondered who paid all the medical bills and such...

I also think that athletes should have to do at least 2 years in college before being able to be drafted, and have a marketable degree.
I've been really lucky... no long term physical problems, although I sure can't run a 4-minute mile. Not that I ever could. As for those concussions.... uh, what was I talking about? Anyway, I'm 44 now and no serious mental issues. So far. We'll see.

And I like to think I was smart because I did finish my degree,and even go on to get a master's. So football really paid for my education, and even though I had a tryout with the Houston Oilers (remember them?) and never made the NFL, I still came out okay.

But if I had long-term mental or physical problems now... all those medical bills would be on me. For some guys, it's do-or-die and playing college football could really screw them up for life. I think the NCAA does quite a lot to get these kids to get a degree, but you can lead a horse to water, but....
__________________
If there is no one in sight in FRONT of you, and a line of assorted vehicles BEHIND you, it is NOT because they always wanted to be in a parade. Florida Lime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #1290
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
I heard the cheatriots just signed lance armstrong as the new strength and condiotioning coach...
Would that be similar to a conditioning coach?
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014