ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #496
SUPERRIDE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Slavens head mod

I run a Slavens high compression head on my 250sx and have not had to use any race gas in Moab. I think we are good untill we get below about 3,000 ft. If you like the power at Left Hand, you will LOVE the power when in Moab. The lower you go the more power you will have. You will be able to idle up hills when in Moab!!!!
SUPERRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #497
thump_co OP
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERRIDE View Post
I run a Slavens high compression head on my 250sx and have not had to use any race gas in Moab. I think we are good untill we get below about 3,000 ft. If you like the power at Left Hand, you will LOVE the power when in Moab. The lower you go the more power you will have. You will be able to idle up hills when in Moab!!!!
That's scary. Definitely going to be gearing up some. Maybe even give the green PV a shot. Thanks.

Btw.. don't you guys have a RR you should be posting up?

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #498
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
I'm itching to try out my new SXS head. Rampart or Divide on 4/27? Springs was sunny today while we were getting dumped on.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #499
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm itching to try out my new SXS head. Rampart or Divide on 4/27? Springs was sunny today while we were getting dumped on.
How about GJ on Sunday?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #500
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm in! Let me know when and where! Carpooling would be a plus!
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #501
thump_co OP
..ouch

Jetting - RF, Tom?

So.. the GJ enduro looks like it's all around 4800-5200 and forecast at 70. Anyone with have some jetting suggestions for me with the Slavens head?

The JD sheet says Blue needle clip #2 + 162 main. When I was down in NM (still stock head) I ran touch leaner with Red needle clip #3 + 162 main and it seemed great (and it was colder). Already swapped to the 162.. trying to decide between blue vs red....

Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #502
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,426
165 and bump the needle one clip pos richer. I think the blue (not sure of the position) is the next richer needle needle position, it jumps back and forth between the 2 depending on the clip position, I don't have the chart handy though and I'm headed out to work, sorry. Good luck and don't forget the taller gearing
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #503
thump_co OP
..ouch

Thanks. I ended up going with the JD recommended (blue #2, 162 main) + doing 50/50 pump & VP110 gas.

Found out I don't have the 50t rear sitting around that I thought I did. Just going to see if I can round up a 14t to swap on the front tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #504
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Thanks. I ended up going with the JD recommended (blue #2, 162 main) + doing 50/50 pump & VP110 gas.

Found out I don't have the 50t rear sitting around that I thought I did. Just going to see if I can round up a 14t to swap on the front tomorrow.
I think it helps to bump the main slightly with that head but I'm runnin "casual" gas.

Race gas should more than make up for it though.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #505
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I think it helps to bump the main slightly with that head but I'm runnin "casual" gas.

Race gas should more than make up for it though.
Interesting.. Jeff S was telling me I could go leaner (higher comp = more complete burn), but I'm not that brave.. especially given that we could find some deep sand in places.

Fingers crossed.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #506
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,170
First time on a trail with the 300. Quite a different throttle response than the XR400 I have a root in the trail I rode that I have come to call the wheelie root, I look forward to it, on the XR I stand up and compress the suspension, as it releases I crack the throttle and whip out a cool little wheelie. I'm so glad I was alone, on the 300 I stood up and compressed the suspension, cracked the throttle and rode an uncontrolled wheelie into the timber straight off the trail until in a desperate act of self defense I flung myself from the bike. My index and middle fingers on my left hand look like little swollen black bananas, this bike has a Rekluse, is that coincidence

Going to take a little time but I think we will learn to get along just fine.

PS - First tracks of the year on that trail - gotta love that.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #507
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Awesome!

IMO the throttle response at the bottom-end takes some learning, coming from a 4 stroke. I still haven't mastered the perfect amount of 'blip', but I'm getting there.

Congrats on the new 300! First tracks on the trail is great too!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #508
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Awesome!

IMO the throttle response at the bottom-end takes some learning, coming from a 4 stroke. I still haven't mastered the perfect amount of 'blip', but I'm getting there.

Congrats on the new 300! First tracks on the trail is great too!
Going to take me a little time to master that perfect amount of 'blip' for sure
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #509
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 31
What I was told to do by a more experienced two stroke rider, was to cover the clutch; fan the clutch to control when/how much power gets to the rear wheel is just as important if not more so, than turning the throttle. This technique is hard to learn coming from a 4 stroke where you just ham fist the throttle to speed up and slow down (engine braking). Short bursts, fanning, blipping, rear brake, brap brap, cut, stand the bike up and power out of corners. Ya gots to ride more aggressive, maybe that's why it's more fun, plus the sound. Braaap Braaap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
Going to take me a little time to master that perfect amount of 'blip' for sure
1stgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #510
grub
Requires Supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
What I was told to do by a more experienced two stroke rider, was to cover the clutch; fan the clutch to control when/how much power gets to the rear wheel is just as important if not more so, than turning the throttle. This technique is hard to learn coming from a 4 stroke where you just ham fist the throttle to speed up and slow down (engine braking). Short bursts, fanning, blipping, rear brake, brap brap, cut, stand the bike up and power out of corners. Ya gots to ride more aggressive, maybe that's why it's more fun, plus the sound. Braaap Braaap.
All good points, I told myself how it was going to be different but my muscle memory just took over when I got on the trail, I chopped the throttle going into a downhill turn and expected the bike to slow down A few more hours on this thing and I think I'm going to love it, can't wait.