Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
The problem is that I don't see the 2012 bikes being much of an upgrade from any of the 1200s. I mean, they made little changes along the way, tweaked the steering a little, changed the brakes, but the difference between an 08 and a 12 is really minor.
Minor Ummm, they fitted double overhead cams to the 2010 model onwards, that's a little above a minor upgrade in my book!!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
denny
Stay Go

Oddometer: 13
2013 will be the same as 2012

Just left dealer today, she pulled 2013 invoice on new allocation and same bike as 2012. No new model, maybe mid-year but she seemed to think march. New model intro in March she feel that's when they will see it. I have 2012 gsa and really think this is by far best boxer. Buy now and enjoy!
denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Buy

I bought a new GSA last fall, wish I would of bought one a lot sooner. Life is short don't wait to buy get one now. That means even more to me today as I found out a friend has cancer and chances are very slim he will live another couple weeks. He retired last year, more than enough reason to do what you want while you can.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
cratliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Just bought the 2012 GSA...I pondered on the same question also... was told by a dealer that the first water-cooled boxers will be GS's, possibly as early as March 2013...GSA's will come along later...I really love my GSA... glad that I made this choice....don't think I will regret later....we'll see
cratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #35
JayhawkGSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I would wait. After riding the Tiger Explorer a few weeks ago I mentioned to thje salesman that BMW was going to have to do something because that bike was awesome. He agreed and said they were. The biggest thing is having cruise control. That is huge for me and worth waiting.

The GSAs won't be water cooled in 2013 so maybe you will luck out and they will offer the cruise option with the old motor so less first year worries.
JayhawkGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #36
Oggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
forgot about this thread I started... Got my '12 GSA delivered in June
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #37
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 120
So what colour, what options?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
Northsquad
Ready Let's Go

Oddometer: 14
With a water cooled boxer around the corner I think it's a no brainer, hold off if you have something to ride for now. Water Cooled boxer is supposed to have 130hp a huge jump, shadowing anything like cruise control. As an added bonus you can actually sit through the traffic jams on the way to and from good rides without worrying about overheating.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Northsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #39
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad View Post
With a water cooled boxer around the corner I think it's a no brainer,
I'm sure the specs will be quite impressive on the new wasserboxer when it's finally announced, but there's no way in hell I'd buy a first-year bike. I'm quite happy to ride my new '12 GSA for 4-5 years while they sort out the new bike's quirks.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #40
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #41
NZ Adventure
Another Fricken Newbie!!!

Oddometer: 42
Great topic

I am just contemplating the exact same dilemma...I have a 2012 Triple Black (Fully spec'd) on offer and unsure whether or not to hang off. I agree with the comments re waiting for the new model but then again the new Water Cooled GSA will follow (possibly) up to 1 year later, so in theory that could be mid 2014 and in biking years with no ride that's a long way away (like doggy years but longer).

And lets be honest even the R1150GSA is still an amazing bike and holding it's value so surely the R1200GSA with all the fruit will do the same. Like you I have no patience and impulsive so I thought about buying a Super Tenere (Currently own a new XT660Z but it is so under powered and constantly working the gears) or the new Triumph Explorer but that's not a true adventure bike...although looks very very nice but IMO competes more with the GS than the GSA.

My problem in NZ is nobody seems to sell their GSA's once they buy them...must prove we do have the best roads in the world to ride on. But this means options are limited and leaves you new bikes or the competitors to consider.
NZ Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #42
cascade63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I'm going in on 2012 Triple Black to replace my '09 write off GS Adv. Even if I could wait I wouldn't for the first round of H2O GS's.
Let them get trialled in the 'real' world for a year or so first to sort out mounting issues, cracked radiators, additional thermo fans, farkles to be made and improved....the list goes on.
Maybe by round 3 I might be interested.
cascade63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Maybe hold off on first wet heads at least till spare parts system kicks in
Lots of 1600 riders angry over BMW
Lack of first year parts supply
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #44
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I went through the same dilemma and then another round of the "Triumph or BMW" game. I am picking up the Molten Hot Magma Adventure tomorrow night! (WOOOOHOOO!!!)

I concluded that its been 10 years since I first noticed a GS and thought about how cool they were - did I really want to wait for the wethead? Not really. Owning one of the greatest machines built is going to be very rewarding...I plan on quite a few years with it...

Should after 3 years or so I get bored or really desire the new wethead, it will at least be fairly well sorted out by then. I don't usually get bored with bikes and willy-nill them away as some people can tend to do, so I am truly planning on several years of touring and adventures.

I say jump in now - the GSA is at its pinnacle, own the last of one of the greatest motorcycles ever made.

Good luck in your decision!
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
TCSVN
...Stays in Vegas...

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Then I gott pay taxes unless it is used, as the BMW has thehe military program like volvo etc.., but since I have always wanted a GSA, now is the best time for me to get one.
Glad you got it. Hopefully getting it delivered in CONUS is easier for you than it was for me. A little dance between TMO and the tax assessor/collector was involved.