ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
skerry00 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Sandia Ranger District Trail Ambassador Volunteers

The Sandia Ranger District of the Cibola NF in Tijeras, NM is currently looking for volunteers for a newly created "Trail Ambassador" program. While still in it's infancy, we're moving toward gearing up this season and we're looking for a few interested folks to help us "pilot" the program. The basic idea is to have a select number of "Ambassadors" working with myself and my trails foreman riding the trails in Cedro and Otero to provide information and education to trail users about safe and responsible trail use.

Thanks to a grant from the NM Dept of Game & Fish, we've been able to purchase gear and pay for some required training.

If this is of interest or have any questions, please contact Kerry Wood, Trails Manager at kwood@fs.fed.us.
skerry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Trails

Hey folks the Cedro Peak area has some great trails--and it is really nice to have it in our backyard. I think this is a chance to give back to help improve the area and also to pay it forward to future riders. I'm going to drop him an email--I've talked to him while in the Forest Service office before--I may be a bit out of it after my shoulder surgery at the end of the month but I'm going to try and help out. Anybody else interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
The Sandia Ranger District of the Cibola NF in Tijeras, NM is currently looking for volunteers for a newly created "Trail Ambassador" program. While still in it's infancy, we're moving toward gearing up this season and we're looking for a few interested folks to help us "pilot" the program. The basic idea is to have a select number of "Ambassadors" working with myself and my trails foreman riding the trails in Cedro and Otero to provide information and education to trail users about safe and responsible trail use.

Thanks to a grant from the NM Dept of Game & Fish, we've been able to purchase gear and pay for some required training.

If this is of interest or have any questions, please contact Kerry Wood, Trails Manager at kwood@fs.fed.us.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,580
Man, I was thinking hard about it. I just don't know about the time frames. I may send him an email.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
Hey Skerry - I'd be interested in helping out with this too (wzl from mtbr here).

How's the trail planning coming? Remember the maps I sent you last fall?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
nmdave7
two wheel junkie

Oddometer: 209
I sent him an email earlier today to get more info. I love riding up there during the summer. Wouldn't mind giving back a little to make sure the place gets taken care of and stays open.
nmdave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
ryanco
Dirt Torpedo

Oddometer: 309
I'm In

I live less than a mile from the Tablazon Trailhead, and would be up for both MTB and Moto patrols. It is truly my "backyard" and I would love to help take care of it. I will send an email.

-Ryan
ryanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
Me too. I live about 1 mile due east of the ranger station and can see Cedro Peak from my living room. In fact, if it wasn't snowing right now I could probably see Cedro Peak in the moonlight from where I am typing this. I bought this place specifically for the trail access. It's a 5 minute ride to get onto the Coyote trail from my garage. I began courting Kerry last fall to get on his A-list and as far as I am concerned Kerry is the best thing that has happened to the trails out here in a long, long time. We exchanged ideas and I did a little trail work with him up at Otero. But Cedro is where the work is really needed. There is so much here and if we adopt it and really take care of it, the trails here could be superb!

gregdee screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 06:58 PM
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
ryanco
Dirt Torpedo

Anyone hear back?

Just wanting to make sure my email went through to the appropriate individual. Haven't seen anything since first post from OP.

-Ryan
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Sandia

Yea got an email back from him today with a description of the program--looks real simple and easy to help out. Anyone still interested should get an email to him.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,066
Uh-huh....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
skerry00 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey folks, sorry I wasn't paying attention to the thread and just looking for emails. Anyway, if you have questions contact me at the office - 505-281-3304 or kwood@fs.fed.us

I'm looking for a small group of riders (4-5) to start out and build as the program develops and as money comes available. I may be looking at a Yamaha Access Grant in the future. Anyway, I've recieved about 3 or 4 inquiries but nothing in ink so if you're still thinking about it let me know.

Wzl - Trail planning is still going forward. We'll have a few new reroutes opening this spring/early summer plus we'll be building a new trail on the Tunnel side starting in April. I'll post up when the dates are confirmed, will be a really sweet trail with lots of ledges and a few cliff side riding sections. Good on two wheels!!

Thanks,

Kerry Wood
Trails Manager - Sandia RD
skerry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
ryanco
Dirt Torpedo

Thanks

I got my email reply shortly after posting that I had not heard anything. Sounds like a great program. I have filled out my application and submitted via email.

-Ryan
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,351
E-Mail sent!

Great to meet you at the NMOHVA meeting this morning, Kerry----I'm looking forward to meeting up with you in the morning so you can show me some trails in the Cedro area.

I am interested in volunteering to help with the trail maintenance you mentioned, we'll talk more tomorrow!!

Chris

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
Confusing, thought I was already in for this.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Confusing, thought I was already in for this.
they told me you were the team leader, Chris.....we're following you!
(we'll need HD footage of the whole enchilada.....)

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote