ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
jcbikes1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Colorado temporary 3 year increase on plates, not temporary anymore!

I went to get my plates today for my 2002 WR. They had gone up over the last 3 years from $28 to $67 today. This was a temporary fee imposed by Gov. Ritter(D). Now the way I understood the increases starting 3 years ago, was that they would increase the plates for 3 years (to pay for the roads that needed repaired) and then return back to $28. My 1998 Rav4 also went from $28 to over $70. WELL, today I mentioned to the person at Jeffco when getting my plates, that it will be nice to go back to the lower plate prices next year. She said they decided not to get rid of the increased fee's and keep them at the supposed higher prices. I had a feeling this would happen. I am pissed!
jcbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
co4x4er
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Only thing I can say is it applies across the board. Everybody got screwed the same. Don't like getting screwed, but at least I'm not alone.
JR
co4x4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
I shocked
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
A (D) letting a tax go away?
Get real.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,479
In before the thread gets booted to the basement!
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Just paid $104.67 to renew tags on a 2004 KTM960. 8 years old. Used to be $45 or so. Yup, we're screwed.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 918
1987 Corolla. Purchase price- $100. Plate renewal -$79. At least I don't need emissions this year.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
A (D) letting a tax go away?
Get real.
+1

No such thing as a "temporary" tax increase or regulation or closure...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,047
Yep. "Fees" are now "Taxes"

Ritter, don't get me started. Those "fees" also act this way: say you buy a junked Classic car you want to restore (or bike). Title gets signed over to you, with the date purchased (or Bill of Sale). It takes you 2 years to get it all fixed up, and you're soooo excited to get plates and take her out! You get to the registration, and find out on top of the extra "fees", you also get tapped for another $100 or more for not registering your non-working Classic (or bike) within 3 months of purchase! Imagine all the cars on blocks in lawns across Colorado paying for registration!

I've also heard the reason for the increase is so Colorado can be free of Federal gas-tax money for roads and be self-sufficient. Right. Ever hear of a state refusing Federal funds?
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 551
I used to keep a pile of my bikes on the road back when it was 17 bucks for an older bike.

Now I don't 'cos it's 43 per bike (here in Larimer county) - plus the tags went up on the trailer too.

Pint of beer to whoever can spot them all - case of beer (PBR) to whoever gets all the years right.

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,665
I just divide the $ by 12 and the reaming feels a little better...
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Wudscrasher, I agree that the penalty fee that many states slap on for an untimely registration borders on criminal/illegal. Their contention is that is keeps people from driving unregistered vehicles after a purchase, and that it's not a revenue tool. Well, that might be arguable if the state also provides an option for inoperative, junk, or classic vehicles to have their title transfer, but no sales tax or license registration until the vehicle is actually ready to operate on the street. Why should someone have to pay a decently large fee up front on a vehicle that may never operate on a street? Well, of course the answer is "money". As to people operating recently purchased vehicles without a timely registration, that's what law enforcement is for. Heck, even from a monetary aspect, the community can get an even bigger revenue bump from dummies being cited for driving an unregistered vehicle after a sale. Some states offer such an option for an inoperative vehicle, but most don't...and most don't mainly from a revenue aspect IMO. A small, reasonable, title transfer fee for an inoperative vehicle would be fair and logical. All other fees involving value tax, registration, license plates, and whatever other regulations require can be tacked on if and when the vehicle actually operates on the street. But I realize that trying to incorporate "logical" and "reasonable" into the function of goverment these days is probably an exercise in futility.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Wudscrasher, I agree that the penalty fee that many states slap on for an untimely registration borders on criminal/illegal. Their contention is that is keeps people from driving unregistered vehicles after a purchase, and that it's not a revenue tool. Well, that might be arguable if the state also provides an option for inoperative, junk, or classic vehicles to have their title transfer, but no sales tax or license registration until the vehicle is actually ready to operate on the street.

But I realize that trying to incorporate "logical" and "reasonable" into the function of goverment these days is probably an exercise in futility.
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
It is a pain, but when can "sell" the vehicle to the spouse, child, billy bob you invented and then back to you and there is nothing they can say.

Unless of course this is Boulder County.

My buddy keeps his rig registered out of state for just the BS reason Colorado has imposed. There is nothing the cops can do.

(waiting for Cowboy to chime in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Wudscrasher, I agree that the penalty fee that many states slap on for an untimely registration borders on criminal/illegal. Their contention is that is keeps people from driving unregistered vehicles after a purchase, and that it's not a revenue tool. Well, that might be arguable if the state also provides an option for inoperative, junk, or classic vehicles to have their title transfer, but no sales tax or license registration until the vehicle is actually ready to operate on the street. Why should someone have to pay a decently large fee up front on a vehicle that may never operate on a street? Well, of course the answer is "money". As to people operating recently purchased vehicles without a timely registration, that's what law enforcement is for. Heck, even from a monetary aspect, the community can get an even bigger revenue bump from dummies being cited for driving an unregistered vehicle after a sale. Some states offer such an option for an inoperative vehicle, but most don't...and most don't mainly from a revenue aspect IMO. A small, reasonable, title transfer fee for an inoperative vehicle would be fair and logical. All other fees involving value tax, registration, license plates, and whatever other regulations require can be tacked on if and when the vehicle actually operates on the street. But I realize that trying to incorporate "logical" and "reasonable" into the function of goverment these days is probably an exercise in futility.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny999 View Post
I used to keep a pile of my bikes on the road back when it was 17 bucks for an older bike.

Now I don't 'cos it's 43 per bike (here in Larimer county) - plus the tags went up on the trailer too.

Pint of beer to whoever can spot them all - case of beer (PBR) to whoever gets all the years right.

Right to Left.. I'm just going to pick years out of my arse :
1990 Honda RC30
1992 Yamaha FZR600
1991 Ducati 888 or pre 91 851
1987 Honda CBR1000
1985 Honda Interceptor
1988 Suzuku GSXR
1987 Kawasaki GPZ900
Kawasaki tripple OH1????
1982 Seca 400

Geek screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 11:31 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote