Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,401
We can chime in here too, we fitted up the 140/80/17 on the back of Hobbit and Chiwi, 2800 miles they were down to the solid wear strip in the middle so thousands left in them, we have had them in all conditions from 35 deg C in Inuvik to snow at Hyder and slippery boggy mud at Fort St James, we love these so far, there is talk of 10000 miles, I will be stoked it we get 7000 miles considering we are loaded with house and contents everywhere and we ride every condition ranging from muddy tracks to 1st world motorway and these tick all the boxes.

With 3600 miles on now they still look bloody good, the Trailwings were basically spent at 3400 so thus far I can see more Heidenaus in the future.

Ouwh and yes the 140 DOES fit in a DR 60 no problem at all, the 140 in the narrowest Heidy with the centre wear bar.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 04:22 PM Reason: Sepellling
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I did 19,000 kms on a front 19" and 13,000 kms on a rear K60 Scout (the one with the center rubber), not down to the wear bars yet on either front or back, but time to change them. They are noisy and squirmy on the high speed corners compared to other more street oriented tires. I got my moneys worth out of them and will buy them again. I did get 2 flats on the rear after coming off the Dempster from sharp bits of shale but were easy to plug. I do a lot of solo gravel, dirt and mud in remote places and these tires give me confidence. If you do mostly street riding there are better options for sure. Most of these miles were on the Super Tenere with 200 lb rider and 150 lbs of gear at high way speeds (75 mph) on both gravel and pavement.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

So I spooned my rear off with 12200 miles on it, would have done another 400 -500 if needed easily.

Found these tires to be mint across the board which is shingle road, moab bed rock, tar, mud and slime.

For reference we are running the 140/80-17 (which doesn't fit according to the books) which has the centre ridge wear strip.

We are running 14 tooth front with 44 tooth rear and std chain with no clearance issues whatsoever, for me 5 stars on the K60 and I have just spooned on a nice new round one

With the strength of the bias ply tire and milage we are getting with house and contents on we won't bother looking over the fence at other brands unless we cannot get Heidenau.

Old and new beside each other, anyone have any queries I will answer them based on our usage.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I have no questions about the tires, but where are ya'll now? I hope the trip is going better than planned.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #35
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I have no questions about the tires, but where are ya'll now? I hope the trip is going better than planned.
Try and keep up......http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...789269&page=20
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

It must be difficult for others to keep up cos we can't sometimes.

It is more than a full time job playing and writing about it.... can't complain tho!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #37
nrg
n00b

Oddometer: 6
That pattern on the K60 reminds me of the old Dunlop Trailmax that came stock with many thumpers of the eighties. back then the Trailmax was all round decent tire that would give 10k km on the road and did a decent job in the dirt.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Laugh Heidenau K60-Scout

I first ran the MEFO Super Explorers on my KTM in Mexico, Central and South America. Tremendous tires.

I've used the Heidenau K60 on several different BMW models here in Alaska. I think this is the best all-round tire I've ridden yet. As Marbee said, there are more aggressive tires if you are strictly off-roading, but for a great all around Dual Sport tire it is hard to beat the K60 Scout.

I ran from Fairbanks to Moab, 2 Days off-roading for the GS Trophy Qualifier and all the way back to Seattle and I've still got about 1500 miles left on the rear.

Bring on Summer... or Spring at least! Let's ride!

-Justin
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,607
The K60 fills the niche between TKC80s and Tourances. Much better in the dirt than a Tourance and much better on the road than a TKC.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
Always good to hear reviews of these tires. Anyone else want to share?

We've got a handful of them in stock and our season order will be arriving in late April, in case you Anchorage folks are interested.

Now they just need to release a 180/55 K60 for my Monster...
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #41
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post
We've got a handful of them in stock and our season order will be arriving in late April, in case you Anchorage folks are interested.
IF history is any indicator, I STRONGLY recommend getting off the pot and ordering NOW!

I'm "forced" to run the Michelin I won at last year's D2D, otherwise another K60 would be getting the spoons.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #42
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

If you can't get the K60, try the Mitas E07. I just put one on my Tiger to try out this year. I ordered the Dakar version and that is one STIFF sidewall. Not trying to hijack, just offering alternative if K60s sell out. I got if for just under $200 shipped from MX1Canada. I don't know off hand, but I think the K60 is cheaper. Unfortunately there is no American distributor for these.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #43
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
IF history is any indicator, I STRONGLY recommend getting off the pot and ordering NOW!

I'm "forced" to run the Michelin I won at last year's D2D, otherwise another K60 would be getting the spoons.
Thanks for the recommendation, order was placed about 2 weeks ago and that's the delivery I was given.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #44
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,883
Will the 140 fit a GS1150 rim okay? I'm looking for a replacement for the sidecar tire that will last 10k miles. The hack tire doesn't see a lot of wear nor weight. The dealer says a 4" wide rim is too much for the 140 - is that their lawyer talking?

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #45
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

You can make lots of things fit that were not intended. I had a 150/70-17 Shinko 705 mounted on my Buell Ulysses in place of a 180/55-17. It looked funny, but rode and handled pretty good. So I would think that you could replace a 150 with a 140 w/o any issues.