Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
VW Rabbit Truck

I like 'em.. What's the negative of owning a 81 diesel rabbit truck? No towing duty.. light carry only... garden stuff.. maybe a motorcycle or two.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,860
Slow beyond belief. The bed just barely fit a Husky 175 diagonally.
I see one in the woods near my house every day and think about fuel mileage. 50ish mpg.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
They also had a tendancy to crack their body right behind the cab where the bed joins it, right where most of the stress was. Like most early VW dsl. head gaskets can be a problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
I know a local farmer with 3. All over 300K one over 500. He says they get almost 60 mpg, probably because he drives slow. The guy is eccentric as hell but mechanical genus. But with all the horsepower of a good riding mower, they are slow. In a rural area, in town, secondary roads, in adv terms speeds appropriate for a Ural, they are fine.

The same guy has 3 JD 720 diesels. Why, because they are one of the most fuel efficient tractors ever made. Ever.

He rebuilds stuff forever, and if they quit selling it he makes the part he needs.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
They would sure make a nice city truck.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
I had a 79 and an 81 rabbit - if I'd had my way, I'd still have the 79, but the rear subframe rusted out and it rolled three times going 130 km/h. the 81 was a 4 door, and not as cool. now the Caddie (what VW-heads call the rabbit truck), was always the coolest shit in my eyes. it's basically half a rabbit, and a truck bed, in that it's still front wheel drive. if you ever get to where there is a traction issue, and you have more than a bag of sand in the back, you're stuck as hell.

Personally, before I put my 16v ottinger in my 79, I would say that the 1.8 SOHC gas is a lot better than the diesel. Fuel injection with no computer - it's not as scary as it sounds, and quite frankly bulletproof. My 81 was diesel, and in my 20 years messing with cars, I've never had a hate on as bad as I did for that diesel. I'm a fan of diesel, but the motor that was in my bunny was so temperamental I'd swear it was bipolar, and it would run great - but only on it's terms.

Short answer - If I saw a Type 4 Caddie for sale today, and the wife wasn't around, I'd spend my mortgage payment getting it. looks to be clean anyway - plus you can sell the cap for $$$ as they only fit one thing, and it will hamper your efforts to put a bike in the back.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
[QUOTE=cabinfevrr;18179201]

Personally, before I put my 16v ottinger in my 79, I would say that the 1.8 SOHC gas is a lot better than the diesel. Fuel injection with no computer - it's not as scary as it sounds, and quite frankly bulletproof.

QUOTE]

Until you got dirt or water in them. CIS was pretty good stuff but but dirt, water, rust.....could easily end up costing very big money to sort out.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,472
but can you put stacks on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
I put many miles on a 1981, vibrates like hell, gutless, but 45mpg city and 55 highway was the norm. Never had any problems and I used it day in and day out but sold it to get something with more leg room. I never had head gasket issues and worked for a VW dealer at the time and it was not as big a problem as some state it to be but when it happened its not a big deal to fix. I use to tell my friends it was the second slowest vehicle on the road, corvettes driven by grey haired old guys were always slower and getting in my way.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I like 'em.. What's the negative of owning a 81 diesel rabbit truck? No towing duty.. light carry only... garden stuff.. maybe a motorcycle or two.

even in southern california i never saw one that wasn't rusty.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
The VW trucks were rare when new; even moreso now 31 years later.

My father had 2 Dasher Diesels (same platform) a 1980 and a 1981 with factory air. He really liked them. He made tools for timing the injection pump, and some other stuff.

If you are a tinkerer, it would be a great mechanical jalopy. If you can find parts.

If you find one; the pull lever on the dash is for advancing the timing (helps with cold weather starts).

The engine is an interference engine with a toothed timing belt. The valves are adjusted using shims.

If you need pistons Mahle made/makes them to 0.040 over size.

Both of my father's cars had head gasket issues. The head bolts are a use once type.

Early models under the right conditions would suck engine oil into the combustion chamber from the rebreather thingy. The engine will rev till destruction; if not in gear with your foot on the brake. Later models had the oil breather modified to separate the oil out of the rebreather air tube thingy.

The electrics on these models are horrible too. For brighter headlights and quicker starts rewire the headlights and glow plugs with a relay to work directly from the battery. The factory wires them thru the main electrical junction for a healthy voltage drop!

He consistently got 55 mpg with either car.

Sorry for the novel.
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,715
Pop a 1.6TD or a Canadian spec 1.9TD into them and they're right zippy little haulers.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,039
No one believes me.....this is how it happens. You buy one VW, and then you suddenly decide you need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post

jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Come here Alfa1 Let me hit you up the side of the head with a 2X4 .. Bring you back to reality...

NAd yes i get it.. why else would i have three mazda 323 gtx's laying around and bidding on a fourth a few weeks back,,,

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,909
I had a '81 diesel Wabbit when I was in high school. At idle the thing vibrated so bad it killed the internals of the Kenwood tape player I put in it. The car was bulletproof though, through creek crossings, mild jeep trails, countless donuts in gravel parking lots, and lots of daily clutch abuse. My parents took it to the Toyo tire dealer wanting to know if they would honor the mileage warranty on a set of tires that were absolutely smoked at 8k miles. The strut mounted real steel bumpers allowed me to hit things (very large trash cans)with it at speed and give my buddies unsolicited "love taps" at stop lights. Many fond illegal memories from that car. Some old man bought it for the motor to put into his Rabbitruck.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: