User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
S L O W like really S L O W

They're also really tight in the cab so if you're 6' or better it's going to be real cramped. I think one with a TDI swap would be really cool.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Pop a 1.6TD or a Canadian spec 1.9TD into them and they're right zippy little haulers.
A good friend has one that he put a 1.9 td in, he says it's a riot- fast enough at around town speeds, and that's all he uses it for. Plus 45 mpg on biodiesel ($2/gallon from some friends of his).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
A good friend has one that he put a 1.9 td in, he says it's a riot- fast enough at around town speeds, and that's all he uses it for. Plus 45 mpg on biodiesel ($2/gallon from some friends of his).
IIRC, there are at least a couple of detailed build threads over on www.tdiclub.com on putting modern TDI powertrains in these trucks.

Another approach to building a "modern" one would be converting a late model TDI wagon to a truck with some bodywork. Hmm....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
No one believes me.....this is how it happens. You buy one VW, and then you suddenly decide you need more.
Truth.
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Slow, little tight in the cab, but they are some sweet trucks.

My dad had a gas model and it was peppy enough to keep up with the Sirocco with him driving. He said he still averaged near 40 mpg with it.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
I had one with a gas engine, and it was kinda handy, but cramped. I'm 5'4" tall and I got sick of not being able to recline the seat back far enough. How do normal sized people fit in a VW "truck"?

I finally got sick of working on it and got a Toyota, which ended up breaking all the time, but had a warranty. Go figure.

I had one fun thing happen - some wanker in a shiny red Camaro was tailgating me one night, even though I was going ten mph over the limit. I sped up to 15 over and he stayed glued to my bumper. I looked at my girlfriend and said hang on, we're gonna get in a wreck, and I slammed on the brakes.

The brake pedal went to the floor and uh oh...no brakes. A line had ruptured. I looked in the mirror to see a big cloud enveloping the Camaro. Turns out VW ran the brake line right alongside the muffler to make sure it corroded, so when it split it sprayed the hot muffler with brake fluid.

Sometimes there's justice.
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,243
just thinkin: hyundia could have the world by the tail if they just took the 40mpg elantra and 'vw trucked' it. so long as they keep the price under $12k.

heck i've seen ads for a jetta at $15999. how much cheaper would it be if they didn't have to put an interior in the back half? and a 2012 jetta is a lot wider than a rabbit truck.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
but can you put stacks on it?

Yes, a guy in my town did.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #24
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Hasn't Scion had a unibody pickup concept in the works for a few years now? Has it gotten past the "drawing on a paper stage yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
just thinkin: hyundia could have the world by the tail if they just took the 40mpg elantra and 'vw trucked' it. so long as they keep the price under $12k.

heck i've seen ads for a jetta at $15999. how much cheaper would it be if they didn't have to put an interior in the back half? and a 2012 jetta is a lot wider than a rabbit truck.
There would be a lot of re-engineering to the back half.

What you might save in interior would be lost in the bed work.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
The VW trucks were rare when new; even moreso now 31 years later.

My father had 2 Dasher Diesels (same platform) a 1980 and a 1981 with factory air. He really liked them. He made tools for timing the injection pump, and some other stuff.

If you are a tinkerer, it would be a great mechanical jalopy. If you can find parts.

If you find one; the pull lever on the dash is for advancing the timing (helps with cold weather starts).

The engine is an interference engine with a toothed timing belt. The valves are adjusted using shims.

If you need pistons Mahle made/makes them to 0.040 over size.

Both of my father's cars had head gasket issues. The head bolts are a use once type.

Early models under the right conditions would suck engine oil into the combustion chamber from the rebreather thingy. The engine will rev till destruction; if not in gear with your foot on the brake. Later models had the oil breather modified to separate the oil out of the rebreather air tube thingy.

The electrics on these models are horrible too. For brighter headlights and quicker starts rewire the headlights and glow plugs with a relay to work directly from the battery. The factory wires them thru the main electrical junction for a healthy voltage drop!

He consistently got 55 mpg with either car.

Sorry for the novel.
I had a Dasher diesel. Slower than a KLR towing a GS1200, only puts out 53HP. I had to turn off the A/C going up the little hills around Omaha. The engine is not a true diesel but a re-engineered gas engine. My engine blew up two times due to design flaws. I never got under 50 MPG on mine. Top speed was 75MPH IIRC. Other than the engine the car was well made. If they offered them new I would buy one. For an older P/U get a Toyota.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
What kind of Yotta?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Rabbit Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
topper for stuff

Hey a1fa, where did you get that big truck Topper that holds all that tall stuff? We have an '81 Rabbit pickup and would love to have a topper that tall. Do you know the brand? Do you know where we can get one like that?
Rabbit Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
It's made by TAS for VW Caddy. It's NLA. The factory was destroyed in 1991. Plenty of flea market trucks have 'em in the old country. That's not my ride.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I like 'em.. What's the negative of owning a 81 diesel rabbit truck? No towing duty.. light carry only... garden stuff.. maybe a motorcycle or two.

I just ran into a guy here in town that has dropped the entire drivetrain from a late model Jetta TDI into one of these. He even moved over the gage cluster and power windows and locks. It was dark and rainy, or I'd have gotten some pics of it. He had done a remarkable conversion on it and was very humble about it. Said it was for his sons to drive to college. I offered him 5k on the spot and he politely declined.
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post

Have to be built here, otherwise there's the Chicken Tax to deal with.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: