User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
BCC OP
I know better

Oddometer: 7,510
Volt

I sat in a Volt today. Thinking of one for the SO. She's got a 15 mile commute, with the occasional 800 mile trip to visit family. Most other trips in the car would likely be in the 20 mile range. We'd use my car or bikes for everything else.

I didn't drive it, but I was impressed by the fit, finish, interior and console. Very high tech. List was $44-ish on the one I looked at, before discounts and federal subsidies.

Anyone actually have one or used one?

I'm not a greenie, but I'm not totally unaware. The house is having solar panels installed in a month, the car is a deisel, I built a huge garden for veggies and the boat is powered by sails. She's somewhat enviromental, but not nutty about it.

I wouldn't be trying to make a point buying this car.

Anyway, because of the solar panels, charging the Volt would essentially be free. I figure the net price premium over something else she'd be happy with is about 5 grand.

It's my job to find her a car she'd like.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,336
Should we just skip a step and move this to CS&M right now?

(.....sorry to be a jokester, but if the fit and finish is anything like the Cruze, it should be a nice car)

EsconDeasy screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 01:44 PM
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,401
Of all the hybrids and pure electric cars I think the Volt is the one that makes the most sense .
Now for the CSM , the bailout does bother me a little.
If Ford made the same car it would be a best seller.

Sent from my crappy PC
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,586
15 mile commute? You have free electricity at home to charge up with?

Fuck the Volt. Get a totally electric car like a Nissan Leaf.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
15 mile commute? You have free electricity at home to charge up with?

Fuck the Volt. Get a totally electric car like a Nissan Leaf.
Throw a 3 KW honda generator in the back for backup power and yer good to go!

Unless there is some reason she can't use the diesel on the longer trip to parents, I sort of have to agree that all-electric sounds nearly perfect for you guys. Granted you give up emergency range, but you have backups.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,637
My wife works for a chevy dealership and we got to demo one for a night. It is a comfortable and quiet car to ride in and we were both surprised with the power from the motor. I know she liked it for sure. I basically drove it a total of 30 mins(to the Hockey arena and back) so I can't really give an in depth review.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Phlemdog
The Nuclear Option

Oddometer: 968
I was infatuated with the volt, and tried to lease one. For the price though, it doesn't really make sense, and they really don't deal at all on those.

Chevy cruze eco would be my vote. I'll use the extra 20k for gas.

If it's gotta be electric, then the leaf would be a better choice. But then you would have to swap vehicles for the longer drives.
Phlemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,547
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I might be able to help you out.

Let's all just keep this a nice shiny thing conversation. We'll all agree to keep all the politicing down in the basement, OK? I can try to explain the tax thing, but lets not debate it.

If you haven't yet seen a Volt on the road:

Not a great pic, but you can see my 'mileage'. Mine isn't as great as some, but I'm not afraid to use it as a gas car, and I'm also coming off winter, which will sap your battery mileage, mainly due to heater usage and reduced efficiency of batteries at lower temperatures.

I suffer no delusions of me single handedly saving the planet, I am not a greenie-weenie member of the Sierra Club and PETA, and I find the Hybrid episode of South Park utterly hilarious. I believe Prii are not a car (they're a transportation appliance) and ugly, and the Leaf is beyond Ugly, and utterly impractical for someone not living in a southern metropolitan area- but buy what you want- your needs may be different. I don't believe you should buy a Volt, Leaf, Tesla, Prius etc because we together can make the world a better place- all that rainbows and unicorns crap. I watch nascar occasionally, think the Detroit 16V71 was a good idea and Cat D8K bulldozers are the coolest way to push dirt around. I like internal combustion engines. I like the way they sound. I like the way they smell. I have smelled burning castor oil on a Sunday morning. But there may be better ways to push cars around in some instances.

It's a car. It's only a car. Its what I believe a really cool, great car. But, it may, or may not be for you.

Let's talk Volt.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,806
^ Thanks for the input, I find the the Volt to be intriguing. I drive low miles and have some of the highest electric rates in the country, so it isn't in the cards for me. But, it's nice to hear from an actual owner!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I sat in a Volt today. Thinking of one for the SO. She's got a 15 mile commute, with the occasional 800 mile trip to visit family. Most other trips in the car would likely be in the 20 mile range. We'd use my car or bikes for everything else.

I didn't drive it, but I was impressed by the fit, finish, interior and console. Very high tech. List was $44-ish on the one I looked at, before discounts and federal subsidies.

Anyone actually have one or used one?

I'm not a greenie, but I'm not totally unaware. The house is having solar panels installed in a month, the car is a deisel, I built a huge garden for veggies and the boat is powered by sails. She's somewhat enviromental, but not nutty about it.

I wouldn't be trying to make a point buying this car.

Anyway, because of the solar panels, charging the Volt would essentially be free. I figure the net price premium over something else she'd be happy with is about 5 grand.

It's my job to find her a car she'd like.

I'd say you're a good candidate for a Volt.

The commute is within reason, and you should be able to come close to 100% electric on it, except for the cold winter days. Depending on how much after work running you do, a 240v charger may be good for after work trips- but they're not cheap. You need to look at your electric rate, and if any special deals are available from your utility, like time of use metering. (I get nothing, darn it) I don't know how that works with your solar panels- if you have batteries, or just feed to utility and get credit. There's a guy in Arizona that basically drives for free and powers his house.

You get used to just how smooth and quiet they drive. There are cars that cost more that aren't this nice of a driving experience.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian View Post
^ Thanks for the input, I find the the Volt to be intriguing. I drive low miles and have some of the highest electric rates in the country, so it isn't in the cards for me. But, it's nice to hear from an actual owner!
Yes, Brian, my opinion would be that most of the time, based on your location, you would enjoy the 80% efficient heating provided by the gasoline internal combustion engine. Fermented dinosaur poop can be a handy thing.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,302
I personally like to Volt concept, but at $44k... no thanks.. In my book, they should get these carts to high teens, or... just buy a used Chevy Cruz with 1.4L Turbo motor...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Volt

Volt sales have been so bad, that Chevy stopped production this week. Not certain if it's temporary or permanent. The numbers were terrible.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,302
It's the price.... its ridiculous... Price killed electric hybrid!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Seal View Post
Volt sales have been so bad, that Chevy stopped production this week. Not certain if it's temporary or permanent. The numbers were terrible.

It is a 5 week stop in production.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: