User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #61
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
tiger 800 heat issues???

After reading comments on the Tiger 800 site I decided to buy a 2012 V-strom. I do not want any heat blowing on my old body parts...especially in my crotch.
I had my heart set on the new 1200 adventure but a bit too heavy for me. I sat on the new v-strom and it fitted me...perfectly.
I do "love" the triple motors that Triumph makes. I have a 1050 Tiger...which I am trading in. If you are a dirt rider the Triumph XC is your bike.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #62
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
After reading comments on the Tiger 800 site I decided to buy a 2012 V-strom. I do not want any heat blowing on my old body parts...especially in my crotch.
So, without even really knowing what the "heat issue" is (because it is not a crotch area problem) and without having experienced it or talked to owners to find out if it's a serious problem or just something they notice -- you dismiss the Tiger.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #63
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Heat issue ??? I had a Uly & ST1300 - now THERE are some bonafide heat issues! (ok below 80*) My 800xc has no heat issues by comparison. Appears the wee maybe a good bike for your intended purpose - enjoy.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #64
jphish
Studly Adventurer

AND...Suspension upgrades to the XC ? Not necessary! It already has a quite adequate suspension, provided you are H/W proportional. I gotta chuckle at the glee of the $5000 wee - then go on to list the $5,000 worth of options they added to make it off pavement capable. The wee is a proven, reliable machine - not offering contrary opinion there. But the XC & Wee are 2 entirely different, intended purpose bikes. "no middle ground" ? I dont know what you could offer between the T-800, XC & 1200 tiggers that would close the gap - a 650 vtwin maybe ?? IMHO I think the wee & versys would be a better comparison. Both good, but different than tigers.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #65
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I was the one who mentioned the "middle ground." To clarify I think a Tiger with the Roadie tubeless 19" front tire and the plusher suspension of the XC would be right for my type of use on broken up, bumpy, paved, sometimes debris covered roads.
I also mentioned that a sensible comparison of the Wee to the Tiger would require the Wee suspension upgrade first or else the Wee is not worthy enough to compare. And then there goes much of the price difference so price is then not the main difference.
Cug and I should do a shootout comparison on Zayante Road. Tiger Roadie vs Wee with Ohlins.

Edit: Cug, are you in Sunnyvale? I Think I misread, it's "Sunny California?"

coast range rider screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 12:57 PM
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #66
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Coast Range Rider - I agree that a 19" front (with TKCs) on the XC, would probably be sufficient for 95% of MY riding. However: those OZZIE riders & a quite a few from here, may not find that acceptable, for the terrain THEY traverse. But I'm a 'wuss' on dirt. My riding partner runs around 70+ on dirt roads - I'm more comfortable around 55 - 60 max. I do like the technical stuff - but again - at a slower pace, but just fast enough to power through. At 64, I like to actually "smell the flowers"...& preferably not a bouquet on top of my morgue slab.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #67
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Edit: Cug, are you in Sunnyvale? I Think I misread, it's "Sunny California?"
I'm in Sunnyvale, yes. Never rode Zayante Road but it looks nice enough on Google Maps ... My area is more around Page Mill Road but sometimes I venture South.

But I'm not a "fast" rider by any means. Never did track days or anything. Just spirited riding on small roads, but no kamikaze stuff like some people do. I guess a really fast rider on a Ninja 250 would leave me for dead on tight roads - I'm left with chasing sport bike riders on Page Mill and Alpine Road ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #68
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
. I do not want any heat blowing on my old body parts...especially in my crotch.
Seems to me like that might be a bonus.

I've actually pretty much narrowed my next bike to either a new wee or a Tiger 800 streetie (I have a KLR to throw on the ground off the pavement). I'm going to try something radical and ride each of them before I make a decision.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #69
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
Seems to me like that might be a bonus.

I've actually pretty much narrowed my next bike to either a new wee or a Tiger 800 streetie (I have a KLR to throw on the ground off the pavement). I'm going to try something radical and ride each of them before I make a decision.
As I did, and if the 2012 DL hadn't turned up I'd have an S10 or a Tiger by now.

I'm not saying the DL is the better bike, but the DL a far better bike than I am a rider :). Anything faster would be wasted on me.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #70
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
@ Don T

Don't make the mistake of assuming a Tiger cant handle bumpy roads. That's what sold me on the bike, It remains very composed on the dirt and washboard roads. I was very impressed. It was a test ride of the 'vanilla' Tiger that sold me, although I did end up with an XC in the end.

Never road a wee, so I am not making any comparisons here. Just saying the Tiger is a sure footed beast.
Sure the Tiger can handle bumpy roads - and the riding position makes it better at it than most other street bikes. But the V-Strom does it significantly better due to its softer suspension setup.

Last year I had narrowed my next bike to either a Tiger, a Tiger XC or a S10 - after a good test ride on all 3 bikes I ruled out the Tiger as I found the suspension setup to firm for rough road/gravel road riding (for my liking anyway) - that left the XC and the S10.
Then the 2012 V-Strom turned up.

At first I didn't give it much considerations - it sure looked better than the old version, but it was still "just" a V-Strom.
My girlfriend have been riding a 650 V-Strom since 2006, and on the occasions when I've taken it for a spin it has left me less than impressed - It's a bullet proof do-it-all bike, but its odd looks, miserable seat, a lot of buffeting from the wind screen, the soft suspension with poor dampning and the mediocre build quality/finish was a turn off for me.

In November on a trip to Italy I got the chance to see the new V-Strom in the flesh and take it for a test ride.
My first impression was that it looked even better live than in pictures, and that build quality was much improved and on par with both the XC and the S10 - but it was the test ride that really impressed me.
Suzuki has payed attension to all the old V-Stroms week points. The seat was surperb, no more buffeting and the suspension setup was way better - it's much firmer without compromising the comfort.
Even the engine and gearbox that was some of the old V-Stroms strong points has been noticeable improved.

The result was that the V-strom moved to the top of my next bike list - for me it's the perfect compromice between the XC and the S10 - it's light and agile, very comfortable, run 19"/17" tubeless tires, have a reasonable fuel range and I just love the gem of a V2 that is the heart of the bike.

NB. My girlfriend are going to replace her V-Strom with a Tiger XC sometime in the near future, as she thinks that it's a much cooler bike than the new V-Strom

Don T screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 11:52 AM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #71
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
as to the $4000... in three years the '12 Wee and the '12 XC will be the same price. anyone want to wager?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #72
VMO
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
Back to the original question.....

The answer is "No". I have a 800 XC Tigger and no way is it worth $4k more than a Wee. While the Tigger may be a nice bike, it is definitely not the "best bang for the buck". My wife says it is a glorified dirt bike. Although some may think those are disparaging remarks, it's pretty much true. My 07 V strom that I purchased new in '08 for $7.5k was one of the best deals ever. I still like that bike. And I have no brand loyalty. I have a Triumph, Suzuki, Buell, and HD. Ride about 75% highway - 25% forest roads. Flame away everyone.
VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #73
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
This is still going? Didn't this guy already buy the wee?
internalcombust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #74
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
This is still going? Didn't this guy already buy the wee?
Yeah, but we're trying to convince him to sell it and buy an F650GS, which is the best bike for him.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #75
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
I think once you have ridden triples it's hard to like anything else. A few years ago I was looking at a Wee to replace my totaled Sprint. Took it for a test ride and I liked it, it felt ok, it was a good deal, but it didn't excite me at all. A great deal came up on an 07 Tiger 1050 and I snatched it up. I got the Tiger for about the same price the Wee was going for (same years and equally equipped luggage). That was a no brainer for me and I love the 1050 Tiger. That being said this past summer I added a DR650 to the stable. That DR makes me smile almost as much as the Tiger, just a more crooked smile. I find that I'm riding the DR more than the Tiger. I'm taking the DR on a 2 week trip soon and leaving the Tiger at home. I might regret this decision after a few days on the road but the DR is better suited to this particular trip. The 800 is a great bike, I loved the test ride I took last spring, but not enough to justify the cost when I had a perfectly good 1050 in the garage. I rode a 800GS right after my 800XC test ride and the Tiger won that contest for me, but I love triples. The Wee didn't come close in comparison. Great bike for the money but there's just nothing exciting about it. My DR is more exciting than the Wee. I will say the new model Wee looks a whole lot better but I doubt I'll ever bother test riding one.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote