Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
The Toecutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
More gratuitous debauchery needed please!
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,673
In

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
D-Pow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hope it helped you recover from your loss.
D-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #34
dharmasister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260

It’s not an adventure until someone says ‘WTF are we doing here??'
dharmasister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #35
Texastater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm so in.....more mermaids please
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Timba
Luckiest Man Alive

Oddometer: 242

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed." M. Gandhi. (1869-1948)

TnA's travels
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #37
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
sorry about the delay...

I was retrieving a Dakar from Reno...

Next chapter soon...

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know. It's my own damn fault.

'06 Dakar
JayhooRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhooRay View Post
I was retrieving a Dakar from Reno...

Next chapter soon...
Well, that's a pretty good excuse. Now, on with the story...

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
burning man has really turned into something with tickets and such - when I was in college at UCSD in the late 80's I drove my then 4 speed sportster out into the desert to what was an early burning man thing which at that time was basically a bonfire in the desert with patchouli oil scented shoeless folks - we went out looked around and kept going

now if there had been "mermaids" we probably would have stayed, now on with the report
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 641
delay

JayhooRay,

I hope you ride faster than you drive!
Did you take Charley and Ewan's long way round?
Snap, snap!
JUST KIDDING, well not really!
Looking forward to SRING BRAKE!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #41
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh Chapter Two: Give them the Bird

Chapter 2: The Surly Bird

And we're back.
Recognize the Mermaid?

..pushing through some heavy heartedness and lingering lack of sleep from the recent Reno Dakar Retrieval and Attempt to Forget the Heart Break Mini-Spring Break Road Trip...oh boohoo

Very short RR pending.

Ok…maybe a bit short on boobies in this chapter…but I figure at least a few folks are actually interested in mutant vehicle part.

Alright then, let's get started. So we go back to the good old days of 2003. When I bought an old Dodge Forest Service hay truck for about $800.

[IMG]dodge 5[1][/IMG]

Add some steel bar stock and a bored guy with welding skills and some underemployed artsy folks with spray paint and power tools

[IMG]003_0A[/IMG]

And some spray glue for inspiration…

[IMG]hannah glue[/IMG]

We had a mutant vehicle.
(side note, that woman, Hannah Banana went buck wild her first year on the playa. disappeared all day and came back at sunset buck naked with palindromes written all over her body in sharpie marker. my favorite of course was one beautiful butt cheek that said "live" and the other that said "evil." wri

[IMG]014_11A[/IMG]
[IMG]012_9A[/IMG]

For its day it was pretty sweet although the sound system was a little primitive compared to what we run today…standards were lower.

[IMG]024_21A[/IMG]

Some other vehicles that were outstanding for the day…

Dracca.

[IMG]004_1A[/IMG]

A multi-section dragon with plate steel welded scales and a big huge kerosene flame thrower on the front. Haven’t seen that one around in a long long time.

Or the Contessa:

[IMG]021_18A[/IMG]

She was an old school bus with a full wooden ship built around her. I went on board one day and the smell of gasoline and the stifling heat inside were scary. Contessa was pretty sweet looking but super dangerous when moving. She had a reputation for traveling way too fast and yielding to no craft smaller than her…which was no one. Apparently she pissed enough people off that she was torched in the desert one year since she was too big to go anywhere off season and had to be left somewhere in the brush…

But I digress.

So the next year the Bird becomes. Red.

[IMG]P1060939[/IMG]

A new truck is cut up and put under the party decking...twice...both running on bio-diesel. A second rear axle gets welded on. A little DJ booth goes in...blah blah blah bike rack on the back...various configurations of shade on top... And the “branding” starts to take shape. Add more sound, more lights and she eventually becomes what we see here with the “bot” becoming part of the vehicle.

Why is it called the Surly Bird? I don’t know if anyone knows anymore. But strangely, the camp salute might look familiar to some readers…

[IMG]022_19A[/IMG]
He is the guy, Angry Hatey Cat, who came up with Surly as a camp name back when all we had was bikes and coolers and a fucked up dome. He was kind of sick of the peace love and yoga stuff...

Some more Bird pics for fun.

[IMG]P1040667[/IMG]
[IMG]P1040691[/IMG]
[IMG]P1060995[/IMG]
[IMG]P1060946[/IMG]
[IMG]P1040690[/IMG]

Did you need eye candy?

Here is an early Sparkle Pony from 2003.

[IMG]007_4A[/IMG]

Now wouldn’t you go back next year?

Coming up next...Art and Sparkle Ponies! Oh yes...you will like this one...because like the art cars...the sparkle ponies got better over the years...

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know. It's my own damn fault.

'06 Dakar

JayhooRay screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 10:50 PM Reason: trying to follow the rules...really.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #42
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Ok…maybe a bit short on boobies in this chapter…but I figure at least a few folks are actually interested in mutant vehicle part.
For an excellent writer and otherwise intelligent guy, you clearly have no clue about your audience.

Quote:
Coming up next...Art and Sparkle Ponies! Oh yes...you will like this one...because like the art cars...the sparkle ponies got better over the years...
See, now you're back on track.

gfloyd2002 screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 04:47 AM
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #43
fredster
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Chapter 2: The Surly Bird

[IMG][/IMG]

the sparkle ponies got better over the years...

[/IMG]

Ummm, not really sure my heart can take BETTER sparkle ponies. This one is pretty freakin' amazing.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #44
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 641
Hooray he's back!

Push through the pain!

"..pushing through some heavy heartedness and lingering lack of sleep from the recent Reno Dakar Retrieval and Attempt to Forget the Heart Break Mini-Spring Break Road Trip...oh boohoo"

Going through a divorce right now, empathy abounds! go through the whole process and then focus on the good things in life!
Focus!

BTW thanks for the small update!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #45
JayhooRay OP
Adventurer

Wicked Chapter 3: Art and Sparkle Ponies and the Burn...

Chapter 3: Art and Sparkle Ponies and the Burn...

Ah yes, now we get to the good stuff right? Sparkle Ponies.

The Sparkle Pony is an elusive creature unless you are aware of their preferred habitats and gathering times. The are essentially synonymous with Playa Poodles, although the latter are strictly furred whereas the Sparkle Pony is often quite hairless and decorated with shiny or sparkly things. One of the world’s largest gathering of Sparkle Ponies is Burning Man. Honestly, its about 30% of why I go.

[IMG]319273_10150373925047915_563012914_9764179_1389938  471_n[/IMG]

Flashback to 2009. I’ve just arrived home rough and sick from a trip to India. I’m about 30 pounds underweight…seriously. I just make it to the burn thanks to a last minute House worthy diagnosis of an autoimmune disorder caused by malnutrition and acute gastrointestinal illness first documented in German prisoner of war camps in WWI. Really. Diagnosed by my ophthalmologist. Treated with steroids. “The make it hard for you to sleep and may make you very amped up.” Sweet, can I take extra for a few days? So I spent a lot of time chillin’ that year in the front seat of the Bird reading a book and smoking cigarettes and drinking various things. Other guys from camp would come hang out. We are usually camped on a corner so there is lots of random stuff going by to gawk at. Little motorized cupcakes with people in them…topless women on bicycles…the usual. Usually about twice a day some absolutely beautiful woman would come by is some state of fancy hardly dressed…followed by a few more…followed by a few more with spectacular bare breasts letting their full Sparkle Pony selves turned up to a reasonable mid-day 8. They stop and chat about the Bird…when are we going out? They live in the neighborhood and partied with us last night/year whatever…ok cool…see ya later! One guy says to another…I love this place.

Wait, what was I talking about? Oh yeah… So what was mysterious until last year, because bare breasts are distracting and cause thought impairments, is what do Sparkly Ponies do? Well. They eat your food if it is fruit cups, bacon, ice cream, or ticktacks. They drink your drinks, especially if they are fruity boozy dranks or champagne. They sit around under the shade structure in your camp every now and then and look like they just might want to have sex with you some day maybe…if you have more champagne. And they will gladly do all your drugs before they traipse off in a little posse giggling, squeeking, chattering, prancing, tossing their pretty manes, and breaking necks and causing bike crashes. Basically, they are DJ’s girlfriends…almost to a one. If not, they were last week or will be next week. They don’t seem to have jobs much unless it involves a stage and a brass pole or a lot of time in Mexico on a beach. Well, they might teach hoola hooping.

Off Season Sparkle Ponies:

[IMG]OS SP 1[/IMG]

Bet money that guy is a DJ.

Usually it is just fun to stare at Sparkly Ponies from behind your mirrored shades and make jokes about them as if you really would kick one out of camp…for whatever reason it is you are bitching about. Then one day it occurred to me that on the playa I am in danger of becoming the very rare male heterosexual Sparkle Pony…more on that later. And I realized that my camp is full of hot chicks…and a few Sparkle Ponies. Would you like to see some? Oh! Ok!

[IMG]P1030099[/IMG]

Yep, her again...

[IMG]P1030315[/IMG]

oops...that's a Mermaid.

[IMG]P1030233[/IMG]
[IMG]P1030216[/IMG]

You gotta be careful around them though. They lull you in with cuteness and when you pass out trying to keep up with them they tag up your face...

[IMG]P1030244[/IMG]

Or steal you bike...look there's a bike in this picture...its mine...see the bike? Hello?

[IMG]P1030226[/IMG]

Aren't they pretty?

Ok…now…deep breath…let’s redeem ourselves now shall we? Art…well…funny but I stopped photographing that years ago because other people do it way better. But here is my favorite piece from last year.

Funny…it’s a giant naked woman…

How big?

This big….

[IMG]P1060988[/IMG]
[IMG]P1060969[/IMG]

hey...how'd that super hot artsy chick from Europe get in there?

Zoom out!

[IMG]P1060958[/IMG]

Here's some Art Cars and stuff...

This one follows the Bird around a lot...their sorta neighbor friends folks kinda in our camp. Check out the Temple in the background...more on that later too...

[IMG]DSCF4072[/IMG]
[IMG]DSCF4073[/IMG]

Yeah...its all red faux fur inside with a little sound system...its like a Sparkly Pony nest in there...you have to chase them out all the time...if you only need a few...

[IMG]P1070041[/IMG]

Yep...those are kids...

[IMG]P1030078[/IMG]

WTF is wrong with that guy!?! Seriously, its hot out there. Makes your brain soft, your judgement questionable, and may lead to changing underwear with British tourists.

[IMG]287680_10150294933568503_503253502_7673853_2467334  _o[/IMG]

Yeah...but check out that party...a regatta...like a thousand plus people dancing and a dozen or so boat style art cars...

[IMG]P1040706[/IMG]

[IMG]P1040703[/IMG]

That's a giant flame thrower mounted in that thing. Big Flames...Like 30ft +

Ok...some inmate, av_mech, just invited himself over to my house to crash on my couch so I'm gonna get him some whiskey and food...

Next post we'll go for a little bike ride, visit the temple, have some cocktails in the middle of nowhere, go to a wedding, burn the temple down and pack up...shew.

How do you know this is not a Sparkle Pony?

[IMG]P1030348[/IMG]

She's working....

'06 Dakar

JayhooRay screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 10:59 PM Reason: I really am trying to follow the rules while also writing about Burning Man....