Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I like the new Bonnevilles a lot. Have had a couple long test rides, just can't bring myself to buy (yet).

I think I'd get the SE because I can't see choosing tubes when I can have tubeless with no downside. Otherwise I would prefer the T100 for looks and size. The SE seat is awfully thin. Nothing aftermarket won't cure.

I like the looks of the Scrambler too, but I'd never ride it off-road (V-Strom cured me of wanting to ride a 500 lb street bike offroad), and that high pipe makes luggage a challenge.

I wonder about these "high speed wobbles". Are these common? All on spoked wheels, or all on alloys? Or same issue regardless of wheels?

Is the issue present in Scramblers and Thruxtons too, or just Bonnies?

Do they need a steering damper?
i think its a bit bogus, never felt any of these things on my buddies bikes. they were very stable.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I rode an 11 bonnie se last summer and loved it. perfect ergonomics, smooth, looks like a motorcycle should look. My brain tells me to buy a vstrom 650 my heart says get the bonneville.
Wow, that is exactly how I feel. Vstrom or Versys are perfect for me but I always turn around and look back at the Bonnie.

I want one!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Wow, that is exactly how I feel. Vstrom or Versys are perfect for me but I always turn around and look back at the Bonnie.

I want one!!!
Follow your heart. I did the V-strom thing. Fine all-round bike, but we just didn't connect.

I keep coming back to the Triumphs too.

Forgive the thread-jack, but I am also hoping we get the W800 - choice is nice!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750

i love mine,handles just fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
BobM55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I have a 2005 Bonnie Black and love it. It's not a fire breathing racer, but rather a very stable bike. Never had any front end wobble past the ton, although the wind will deffinitly try to pull you off the seat. As stated the stock seat leaves a lot to be desired, bought a 68 Solo seat, world of difference, I have a few extra pounds on me so I swapped out the stock rear shocks for Progessive 440 Heavy Duty, and swapped out the front springs for a set of Progressive's, pulled the peashooters and put on a set of Dunstall's. Minor changes compared to alot of riders, but a world of difference. What I like about the Bonnie is it is not the kind of bike that will let you get in to trouble with being able to pull yourself out, unless you ride like its a Sport Racer. It's the bike you want to ride for communting, couple hundred mile trips, winding back roads where you want to actually see whats going on around you. In short an enjoyable ride, not a speed trial. If tou want Speed and white knuckles get a Speed Triple or a Street Triple.
BobM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #21
alan29
Alan29

Oddometer: 1
I've got a 2005 T100. Perfect. Bought it when I retired and passed my test a couple of years ago.
Love the way that people want to talk about it at lights and car parks - happened yesterday.
Keep thinking a 6th gear would be good. So would a bit more weather protection. And a bit more height.
But I would sooner eat my own leg than get rid of her.
Planning on a 2000 mile 5 day trip to the Vosges in France in June with a tent on the back. Luckily my fat old ass doesn't need padded seats etc.
alan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Old thread, but felt like posting this somewhere...

Just installed some new IKON 7610-1648 rear shocks on my wife's 2009 Bonneville. Did a quick test drive and it's a whole new bike. Night and day difference for the better. She may have to share more.

Recently did a Progressive upgrade on my Road King's rear shocks and the difference is subtle by comparison. Probably because the stock Road King shocks are better than Triumph's. Should be for the cost difference.
Robert OK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
Devin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I rode an 11 bonnie se last summer and loved it. perfect ergonomics, smooth, looks like a motorcycle should look. My brain tells me to buy a vstrom 650 my heart says get the bonneville.
Same.

I bought the Bonnie. I bought it from a fellow ADV rider, and he had it tricked out with very slightly knobby tires, a small windscreen, King & Queen seat and hard cases. I commute two-up to work daily and with the tires can do non-paved roads. It can only do non-paved roads, where the VStrom could do fire roads. I am happy with my decision froma rider aspect, and it looks exactly how I want a bike to look. I get happy everytime I see it.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
2007 Bonneville

This bike I'm not selling, and in the modern world that's because it is a true all round ride. It does everything well, and is superlative at nothing. It embodies the spirit of motorcycles that used to be many riders' only machine and they did with it what they needed to do. To commute, for fun, to farkle, to ride on gentle dirt and gravel, to tour, the Bonneville can do all of it. The only drag racing i care to do is to get away from cages and zero to 60mph in 4.9 seconds is plenty for me. Cruising the freeway at 80mph is likewise plenty.
I test rode my bike for five minutes and was sold, because being easy to ride is no bad thing and in my 40 years of riding I have ridden enough pigs with "character.".

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Follow your heart. I did the V-strom thing. Fine all-round bike, but we just didn't connect.

I keep coming back to the Triumphs too.

Forgive the thread-jack, but I am also hoping we get the W800 - choice is nice!

Sweet
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Sweet
Bit of a hijack. The 800 does a very good impersonation of my old BSA Thunderbolt. They ride and feel a lot "older" than the current Triumphs and are also about the same physical size as an old Brit twin; quite a bit smaller than the new Bonnies. Great bike.

Mine:

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally posted by welder:

I followed my heart ('09 Bonny SE) and my head ('06 Wee) and alternate riding them... the best of both worlds.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 609
Had a Bonnie, sold it, got a Street Tripple, love it, missed the Bonnie, bought another, ride the Bonnie more that all the other bike combined. Simply feels right.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #29
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,257
Ill jump in

Had an 01 Bonnie in 07 (after selling the Wee strom) Loved the look and style but sold it as I thouhgt I wanted more "adventure" style...
Well 4 bikes have come and gone and Im right back at a Bonnie.. Actually doing it up as close to my old one as I can..
Does everything well and puts a smile on my face everytime I look at it... Just like the old one..
That 01 I had has just turned 98000 kilometers with the new owner. Just runs!
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 201
Currently I have my two favourite bikes of the 25+ I have owned over the years. The RT is the most comfortable regardless of weather, but the Triumph is the most fun. I had misgivings about buying one in the first place because the specs on paper aren't too impressive. Several years later I can say it punches way above its weight. You can't go wrong with any of the Bonneville variants.

Really comfortable riding position, good power and handling. While the engine is incredibly smooth for a parallel twin, it still feels like a real motorcycle. Suspension is basic but a good set of shocks can be had for not a lot of money and transform the ride. I took a 6500 km trip around the Trans-Labrador highway on my Scrambler a few years ago and the trip was remarkable in that I didn't once feel uncomfortable due to the bike.

It's a treat to ride and looks so damn good I can't imagine parting with it.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote