Calgary to Kelowna

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Beema Killa, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Anyone do this trip but not via the Trans Canada? planning 2 weeks in August including riding around the Okanogan and trail riding. Cheers
  2. istephens

istephens FJR Pilot

Oddometer:
    Try the Crowsnest Pass route - go south to Highway 3, then west. You could head north at Castlegar and take the Needles/Fauquier ferry to Vernon/Kelowna or keep going west to the highway 33 junction and take it north.

Far less construction, the highway hasn't had all the fun engineered out of it yet and the riding north of Castlegar offers some of the best roads in BC for motorcycling.

Enjoy!

Ian
  3. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Thanks man. I'll giv'er a look see.
  4. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Any idea how many Kms that is?
  5. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forestry trunk road from Cataract Creek to highway 3? I know there are some cool trails across but I haven't taken any of them. Pavement, highway 22 to 3 to Fernie is super scenic. There are nice ways on the north side but you need to take 1 through Banff and it's slow......
  6. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a route I took last summer:

Down #22 south until highway #3. Go west to Sparwood, Fernie to Cranbrook. Carry on on #3 to Creston, Kootenay Pass, and to Castlegar. Again keep going on #3 to Grand Forks and to Osoyoos. At Osoyoos, go north on #97 to Penticton, Kelowna, and to Vernon.

Take #6 from Vernon to Cherryville, to Needles (short ferry) to Fauquier and up to Nakusp. From Nakusp go south on #6 to New Denver, Nelson, and on to Balfour. Take a ferry to Crawford Bay, and then #3A to Creston.

From Creston #3 to Cranbrook, carrying on to #93 going north to Radium Hot Springs. #93 to the Trans Canada, onto Banff, Canmore and #1A back to Calgary.

I did this route in 5 days and covered 2040 kms. Its all very sceanic. Highway #6 is just a great motorcycle ride.
  7. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Nice. Thanks for the deets.