Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Jason KLR OP
Mostly Slab

Oddometer: 8
RD350 oil pump

Hey Guys

I picked up a '74 RD350 a few weeks ago and can't seem to stop riding it. Particularly impressive when my garage also houses an r1200gs lc, panigale and SXV 550!

Anyways as a belt and suspenders kinda guy the oil pump worries me. If it goes mid ride I won't know until the engine seizes (I'm assuming). I read about owners adding 10ml of two stroke oil per liter of gas directly in addition to the oil pump doing its thing. Is this ok? It's nice insurance if so and I don't mind the hassle.

Anything else I need to know? I'm new to strokers and vintage bikes in general. For some reason my browser won't let me register w 2strokeworld.
Jason KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
TOsborn
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Howdy, I have a RD350 that I ride the poop out of commuting to work in LA. I did a full rebuild 2 years back, and while rebuilding the engine I took off my (working) oil pump, I prefer the peace of mind and simplicity of premix.

But, after going over my oil pump after I took it off the bike I would not be worried about it failing, it's a solid design. I wouldn't add 2 stroke oil to the tank if you have a pump, or else you'll just be mucking up the engine with excess oil.

Post some photos!
TOsborn is online now   Reply With Quote