User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
RedRabbit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
RD250 Rebuild

This is the first bike I've ever owned AND the first rebuild I've ever done. Theres not as many pictures as I would have wanted so I have to apologize for the lack of detail

My dad gave me this bike which he got from trading some work. The kid that had it before started working on it and the poor thing got left out in the rain. So we had to replace the engine with a different, non-rusty one which he had already gotten before he gave it to us.

Again... wishing I got more before pictures.

Engine pulled... (all done in a dress might I add...)

When I got down to the frame it ended up being in worse shape then I thought so I had to sand blast it and paint it. I wasn't so sure about painting(rather then powder coating), but I found an amazing chassis paint that worked excellent.

The only reason I was really hesitant on sandblasting it was the sticker with all the credentials but I took a picture of it down to a local sign/sticker shop and they made me a nice new (even reflective) one. It was only about 3 bucks. I definitely recommend doing that even if your not sandblasting. Looks way better.

Put the wheels and forks on next ...after LOTS of cleaning...

After putting the headlight, spedomiter, handlbars togethier it stayed like this for a long time.

The reason being, I was not looking forward to this....

But thank the lord, some smart, beautiful man had a blog that had the wiring harness installation in excellent detail. http://schmidtcds.com/2014/03/rd250-...rness-removal/

I would still be scratching my head in confusion if not for him.

After that things got sailing along pretty good for a while.
Cylinders before:

After:

Painted them with a high heat paint and then my dad used a dremel to make the edges look all sexy.

Then everything came to a compete halt cause we couldn't for the life of us find any piston rings the special size we needed. We finally found these little a-holes after weeks of searching.
These suckers... these little tiny suckers, were the most expensive parts I bought for this entire bike. I can say I was more happy to get the piston rings put on then any other part.

The engine all put together...

Engine installed...

Me being anxious and setting the tank and seat on for a picture and got the exhaust pipes installed...

Took a few weeks for all the little tweaking, new tires, installing the fuel and oil tank and installing the carbs. Didn't get any pics of that part
But here's a finished pic...

The first real test ride went fairly well. There were some problems with the carb floats sticking, but an easy fix. She runs perfect and is WAY faster then I thought
I actually cried over this bike a couple times, but I learned SO much. I have my dad, brother and youtube to thank entirely or I would have no clue what I was doing (mostly my dad).

It will always be my first love

May or may not paint it. Any votes? Thinking I should, but I kinda like how the sun fade looks, as weird as that might sound.
RedRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 612
Here's my take on the repainting thing.

I've restored a lot of machines over the years, starting with a 1946 Ariel in the late 70s, then a few 1960s Nortons and Hondas during the 80s, and on and on and on since; maybe 25 or 30 in all.

I used to restore to "better than new", and still would with an absolute toilet of a bike, but these days I like mine to show their history. So both my OSSAs, my RD400, my CB400/4 and my MZ all have their original paint but were mechanically rebuilt.

I think that if you repaint, you destroy the history.

If I had your machine, I'd just polish what's there. The fading is a usual thing that happens with the aircooled RDs.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
rkover1
doc

Oddometer: 181
Thanks for sharing!

Mahalo!

I have an R5C from 1972 that I'll be restoring soon. I noticed the engine stand that you used. Is that a DIY or did you find that somewhere? I'd like something like that when I start tearing into the engine.

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

doc
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
G54B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'd leave it, it looks great as is.
Nice work
'79 Suzuki GS550 shed ornament/future daily ride
G54B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
RedRabbit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
Here's my take on the repainting thing.

I've restored a lot of machines over the years, starting with a 1946 Ariel in the late 70s, then a few 1960s Nortons and Hondas during the 80s, and on and on and on since; maybe 25 or 30 in all.

I used to restore to "better than new", and still would with an absolute toilet of a bike, but these days I like mine to show their history. So both my OSSAs, my RD400, my CB400/4 and my MZ all have their original paint but were mechanically rebuilt.

I think that if you repaint, you destroy the history.

If I had your machine, I'd just polish what's there. The fading is a usual thing that happens with the aircooled RDs.
It defiantly gives it more character. Never thought about destroying the history of it though. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
RedRabbit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkover1 View Post
Mahalo!

I have an R5C from 1972 that I'll be restoring soon. I noticed the engine stand that you used. Is that a DIY or did you find that somewhere? I'd like something like that when I start tearing into the engine.

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

doc
The guy that traded us the bike had made it for another RD he has. It was so handy! Even had a cup holder on the other side Not sure how he built it though.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Deftone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Love it. Nice work.
'03 XR650L (ADV?)
Deftone1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
] May or may not paint it. Any votes? Thinking I should, but I kinda like how the sun fade looks, as weird as that might sound.
For me, it depends on my intentions. If it's a bike I plan to keep a while, I go for the re-paint, as I'll be making my own history instead of forever wondering how it got that ding in the tank. If it's something I fixed up to ride around a while, I save the effort and the decision for the next guy.