Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #271
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
MRI results are in:

1. Nearly complete tear of the supraspinatus.

2. Dislocated bicep tendon.

3. Tiny Peripheral cyst (where, what I don't know).

I understand that 1 and 2 often go hand in hand.

Dang Kevin, I was going to suggest we try to make Unadilla next year and race in the same class. But between our bikes and our bodies all we may able to do is play spectator.

Wow Pete,

That sounds like a pretty serious set of injuries. I hope they can fix all that for you and that the recovery wont be too bad.

I'm still hoping that Unadilla will be in the cards next year. Had my knee surgery Monday. It seemed to go well but I am more sore than the 1st time. I guess it should be expected as they had more work to do. I go back to see doc tomorrow. Told me some details after the procedure but I was too groggy to catch all of it. Still, I think I will be in OK shape once the swelling goes down.

Good luck with your stuff!

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #272
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
I loved this thread in the build process, now its even better that you're racing and getting results
I really like the indepth engineering stuff swapping between the 490 and 465 to get the ultimate bike.

I only owed the 490 in my youth so never got to ride the sweeter handling 465, its great to see you swapping between bikes during the races.

I remember racing my mates around the local tracks back when i was 15 or 16 with this bad ass firebreathing yam, there's nothing more entertaining than a small fast bike in the corners and a big fast bike on the straights.. it's the basis of all epic motor races.

I remember mum bought me a book called Yamaha Dirtbikes for xmas around that time the author was Colin Mackeller, an absolute must read for any fans of that era.

keep up the good work and ride safe.

rich
Richard,

Glad you like the thread and appreciate the kind note. The 465 and 490's are both fine bikes I think. That MacKeller book is tough to find now. I have a section from it covering the enduro models (very good as you say) but have never seen a copy anywhere. I bet you have plenty of great memories from racing in your youth, a great experience I'm sure!

And now so many years later, still lots of fun. All the guys I've met at the races are always very friendly, more than happy to help when they can. What a bunch of nice guys I've met.

There is a lot more to come so stay tuned. It takes a while for me to pull all the photos together. There is more on Unadilla plus I am building another hot rod 490 motor plus all kinds of other stuff I hope folks will find interesting.

No real master plan here other than to have lots of fun !

Kevin

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #273
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Over the Rewind weekend I had to take close to 300 pictures with my canon 20d. Something happened with my memory card as the pictures won't upload to my or anyone else's computer. When I put the card back in the camera the word "error" shows on the little LCD. I know they are still in that memory card somewhere. Does anyone have a solution to getting my pictures? I'm not just upset that I can't get the pics off, but I'm bothered that I carried that stupid camera around and watched motos through a 200mm lense rather than sitting back and enjoying watching the old bikes do thier thing.

I am going to be riding next year as many classes as they will let me race ,(judging by how many motos Cody Kessler rode, they at least let you ride 15 classes) . I'd also like to do Fridays hare scramble.,
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #274
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I've been enjoying this thread and hope one of you 465 gurus can help me out. I'm hoping to put an aluminum swingarm on my 1980 XT 250 in the future to replace the stock steel one and hopefully (with a shock swap) get some more travel in the process too. It seems like one from a 465 might be a good option. I'm wondering if one of you has one kicking around and could take a few basic measurements for me? Looking for the length of each of the three sides of the triangle as well as the widths (overall, center and each side) at the swingarm pivot. Thanks, appreciate any help or advice on this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #275
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Unadilla Moto2

Well I finally got a moment to continue on here. These doctor visits and issues surrounding my knee have keep me busier than expected.

One of my main issues is that I have no ACL and so my knee is not as stable as a normal knee. I have been investigating knee braces as a means of avoiding a repeat of this injury and another surgery. The good news is I found something that looks promising. I wound up getting measured and fitted last week and now have a brace on order. I'll provide some details on this in a later post in case someone else is dealing with a similar issue.

Anyway, turning back to Unadilla, we first recall the surprise 3rd place finish in moto 1 while riding the IT490 of all things.

Not only did it surprise me but it surprised plenty of other guys in my class. And they let me know it in the staging area for moto 2.

You see in the 1st moto, riders were called to the gate according to sign up order. I signed up late so was called late. Showing up with an enduro bike I hardly drew any attention. OK, perhaps a snicker or two but that's about it.

However, for moto 2 they called the riders according to finishing position in moto 1. Being the 3rd guy called out I was getting plenty of attention, mostly in the form of steely stares as I rolled up with that big blue IT! And I got plenty of ribbing too.

One guy said it was very unfair how I was blinding everyone behind me with my turn signals and brake light and and that was reason he couldn't keep up . Another was poking fun at my tool bags and asked if I had my lunch back there . Yeah, these guys were quite funny.

OK, so I was teased a bit but one nice thing about being called early was that I could clearly see and size up the two riders that had beaten me. And I could choose a place on the line where I could keep my eye on them!

I also had another secret weapon to draw inspiration from that I have not discussed until now. Although I was unable to refresh my skills at an MX school, I was able to get my hands on this...

That's right. The Technique of Motocross by the great Swedish Grand Prix star Ake Jonsson. I had lost my original copy from 1974 but my wife miraculously found a copy in a Louisiana library and had it shipped in just in time for me to re-read and study before MX Rewind. And study it I did!

With Ake's advice in mind, I carefully and confidently selected a starting position with a straight line groove leading out of the gate for maximum traction.

I paid particular attention to this as I knew the period immediately after the start would be vital. How did I know? It's all right here on page 183...

Let's now turn to the photos to tell the rest of the story.

Here we are, all lined up for moto 2. Directly on my left is #77, winner of moto 1. On my right is 53 (4th place) and #7 (2nd place) on the red Maico. You can see this is all very serious business. Everyone has their eye on everyone else. And I've made up my mind that there is no way that old f'er on #77 is running away from me!

But darn if I didn't get another so-so start.

Around we go and these guys are getting away from me!

Through the 1st corner I'm back in fifth position already .

And then, from Ake's book, I remember "Do not wait to pass, do it right away!".

So I did.

The first time out of gravity cavity I've moved into 4th and right behind that crafty #7 in 3rd. But I'm not looking at him, I'm looking at #77 in 1st.

I out drag and out brake the Maico into the turn for 3rd just like Ake said to do !

And now #77 is caught up in the grooves and in my sights !

But no, #79 slows more than I expect and I run into his back wheel !

This was a big mistake on my part. Will I fall down or will I stay up ???

Can't blame Ake for this either as he warned me about this situation right here on page 191 !

Somehow I did not fall but while I am regaining my composure, #77 is hooked up and on the gas !

Not only that but crafty #7 takes advantage of my misfortune and re-passes me .

With #77 and #7 off and running I regroup in 3rd position and give chase !

By the end of lap 1 #7 is within sight again

============

Oh my! What's next? How will it end?

Stay tuned! More to come....

Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #276
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
You're killin' me! The suspense is too much!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #277
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Dang you Kevin! I'm on the edge of my seat here! Seriously!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #278
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Over the Rewind weekend I had to take close to 300 pictures with my canon 20d. Something happened with my memory card as the pictures won't upload to my or anyone else's computer. When I put the card back in the camera the word "error" shows on the little LCD. I know they are still in that memory card somewhere. Does anyone have a solution to getting my pictures? I'm not just upset that I can't get the pics off, but I'm bothered that I carried that stupid camera around and watched motos through a 200mm lense rather than sitting back and enjoying watching the old bikes do thier thing.

I am going to be riding next year as many classes as they will let me race ,(judging by how many motos Cody Kessler rode, they at least let you ride 15 classes) . I'd also like to do Fridays hare scramble.,
The camera may be full?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #279
mxscot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wicked

Hi Kevin, great to see the race pics and reports!

Now that my big adventure to the Farleigh Castle "Field of Dreams" has come and gone I've got a bit of time on my hands to update the story of my own rebuild as promised.

The frame was repaired then grit blasted and powder coated. The front forks were in a bit of a state but a good clean out and new seals and bushes and a cosmetic grit blast sorted them out.
The rear shock was sent off to Pro-Action for a re-valve job to suit me and some modern internals added. I also added a heavier progressive spring.

The cylinder bore was well worn so a re-bore was done and a new Wiseco piston went in.
The bottom end was in good nick, the gearbox and clutch were like new so I left well alone.
A full new PFR exhaust system was obtained and fitted.....along with a whole heap of new cables, plastics and bits and pieces.

I prefer the white euro style so the old yellow was binned. Even though it is a YZ465H 4V4 I always preferred the older style Yamaha speed block decals so I got the 1980 tank stickers.

Last job was getting the carburation sorted out and the bike run in ready for the Farleigh Castle Vets MXdN run over the 13 -15 September.
mxscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #280
mxscot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Farleigh Castle Vets MXdN

So off we went to the south of England for the big event.

After scrutineering and sign on there is the official photo shoot:

Racing was on the Saturday and Sunday. First Timed Practice for gate pick. then two 5 lap races each day round the historic circuit.

Ready for practice:

Racing:

Results? well I didn't set the heather on fire but was 32nd overall in the over 50's class. A class incidently won by Jim Anderson from the USA who shipped his bikes over for the event! Well done Jim!

As a souvenir of fulfilling the dream I got a few signatures ( Chuck Sun, Roger Harvey #7. Jan Geboers, Johan Boonen #3) on my race shirt

On reflection a bit of familiarisation would have been a good thing before getting into the action but time was a bit tight in the end. I need to learn how to get this thing to turn. Also half way into the races I started hearing this strange noise which I hadn't come across before on a motocrosser - knocking, pinging, detonation. So I'll have to get that sorted out.

mxscot screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 11:40 AM
mxscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #281
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxscot View Post
So off we went to the south of England for the big event.

MXSCOT,

Thanks for posting this great race report from Farleigh Castle and for keeping this thread going in my absence. This is a super photo and shows you in terrific form I think... honestly, I thought I was looking at the great Hekki Mikkola himself!

Nice job on the restoration too. I am glad you were able to complete it in time for the event. I recently acquired a copy of the 1982 500 GP at Farleigh Castle on DVD. It looks like a great track, wish I was there with you!

Apparently there are now videos on youtube according to other posts I have seen. I am looking forward to watching them.

Thanks again for posting, please continue to share what you learn as you continue to fine tune your bike.

Kevin

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #282
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
You're killin' me! The suspense is too much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Dang you Kevin! I'm on the edge of my seat here! Seriously!

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging. There has been so much drama going on here I hardly know where to begin.

So what's been keeping me busy?

Here is the short list with details to follow,
- Recovered from knee surgery
- Fancy knee brace received and it works
- My daughter was attacked by a pit bull while at college. This was extremely serious and very frightening. Her injuries were severe enough to require surgery . I mention this as a warning to others who have kids or grandkids that could possibly come into contact with these dogs. Fortunately she is a tough kid, has recovered well and has now returned to classes. This was very upsetting.
- Completed rebuilding a 510cc motor with IT490 crank
- Husqvarna's (Interesting to compare approaches but the Husky's fall well short of the 465/490 in my view)
- Competed in a cross country race
- And finally, it appears my wife and I have bought a rather broken down 18 acre horse farm further out in the country. Moving to a quieter area is something we have been thinking about for a long time, but truth be told, I wanted a place where I could ride my dirt bikes. Jeeze, who knew that this YZ465 restoration project would lead to this ?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #283
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Unadilla moto 2 wrapup!

With all these life events going on I never completed the Unadilla Moto 2 results. So let's see if we can finish that up before moving on.

We last left off at the end on Moto 2 - lap 1, with that big blue IT490 doing it's best to chase down that pesky Maico.

Lets pick up the action with some more photos by

Here we are once again rounding turn 1 for the start of lap 2. Maico guy in 2nd place leads me through,

Out of the Gravity Cavity I am doing my best to close down the gap!

You can see 4th and 5th place are not far behind and have not given up!

Finally, I have pulled back up to Maico guy and cant help to admire those fancy Ohlins piggy back shocks he has back there.

This time through I follow Ake's advice and choose a alternate line rather than "follow the leader" so as not to run into anybody.

I really though I had him here as I cut to the inside but he still beat me to the next corner.

I tried to pass again in the back section but nearly got bucked off through some whoop-de-doos. This allowed Maico man to pull a nice gap on me as seen in next photo... rats!

I should have stiffened the rear suspension between motos. I had a nice lunch instead.

Although it was looking bad, I was still not done. Two more turns and we where into the "Sky Shot" section. I caught him again and out braked him on the following down hill where I then block passed him in the corner.

This next one is not a great shot but it is the first one where I am leading him!

Starting the final lap, roles are reversed and it is Maico man that gives chase!

Now, here we are dropping into the caviity!

And out for the final time!

We are flying ever higher and I remember thinking "what the heck am I doing???".

You can really see the IT suspension really compress here. Throttle is WFO!

Even though all looks OK here, I am worried about next few sections after almost being bucked off on previous lap!
How about those grooves?

Sure enough, I slow down too much and crafty Maico guys repasses me for 2nd place!!!
Same place as where I had problems before and with only 1/4 lap to go!

This shot shows the 1st place rider as he comes through for the win on a '79 YZ400. No catching him!

Meanwhile I try to close the gap to 2nd but am quickly running out of time!

Still trying, still trying....

But too late!

Out pops the checkered flag, you can see Maico man just ahead. It was a good dice we had going and announcers gave us plenty of air time.

And right after this photo was snapped he turned and gave me a very hearty wave... a great display of sportsmanship!

So he got 2-2 for 2nd overall and I got 3-3 for 3rd overall. And yes, this result far exceeded my expectations!

More to come...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #284
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, so what did this 3rd place get me?

How about this cool Unadilla plaque (and of course this nice picture with the trophy girl, also know as )?

And if that is not enough, take a closer look at the plaque.

That #6 is Brad Lackey wearing a Camel Challenge bib just like me. And Number 27? That's Ake Jonnson from the Technique of Motocross book I had been reading prior to the event.

Kind of spooky don't you think !

More to come...

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #285
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
First off, sorry about your daughter Kevin--very glad she's okay.

A big thumbs up for everything else though!! So you bought the farm, did ya? Happy for you, man.

Excellent race between you and Maico Man--wish I was there to see it. Great job!