Cool2

Sure would be fun to watch...

Nice report!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #287
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
So you bought somewhere to ride? Well now ya can't just say that and not at least PM me and tell me where. After all it will be good to have a seasoned tech on site now won't it?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #288
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Completed rebuilding a 510cc motor with IT490 crank.
Details?
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #289
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
So you bought somewhere to ride? Well now ya can't just say that and not at least PM me and tell me where. After all it will be good to have a seasoned tech on site now won't it?
It is in Northern Baltimore Country in a place called Upperco, about 1/2hr from where we live now.

And yes, a seasoned tech would be nice but if your saw the house up close I think you would agree that what I really need is team of carpenters and/or a psychiatrists .

Here is the old farm house and horse barn. I snapped this picture today.

Another part of property

The property is pretty but I have a serious project on my hands. Our plans for this are still hatching!

Kevin

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #290
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
Completed rebuilding a 510cc motor with IT490 crank.
Details?
This one is based on an IT490 motor. It has a 2mm oversize Wiseco piston which results in ~510cc's.

I built this one from a parts motor I had sitting around. I really like the power characteristic of my IT490 and thought it might be due to the heaver crank (compared to the 465). The 490 seems to have more low end grunt too, it really hooks up off idle.

My plan is to try this motor into one of the yz465's. I will report the results back once I have it running!
Kevin

Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #291
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A Husqvarna story...

And now for something completely different.

I bought this 1980 Husky CR250 from a guy in Pennsylvania this past August. Even though I had been looking for a 79/80 Suzuki RM250/400 (like one I used to race) I couldn't resist when showed up on ebay with a BIN price of $500 (stuck motor).

I always thought they were neat looking even if behind the times a bit. And its a twin shocker like my old RM so I thought I would give it a go.

Anyway, here's where it gets interesting. The guy I bought it from purchased it new and still had the original paperwork from the dealer. That was neat but the real surprise came when he told me he raced the Unadilla MX-Rewind event this summer.

Not only that but he was in my very race. In fact, he got the hole shot in moto 1!

How cool is that?

Also neat was that he turned up in a lot of photos my wife took . You can only imagine how shocked and pleased he (Mike) was to get these.

So how about a couple of photos?

Here it is arriving home. Wife is still at work .

Ohlin shocks too. But they leak so I will have to learn how to rebuild them.

And here is one of the photos of Mike (#6, the former Husky owner) on his CR480!

More to come!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #292
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
And now for something completely different.

I bought this 1980 Husky CR250 from a guy in Pennsylvania this past August. Even though I had been looking for a 79/80 Suzuki RM250/400 (like one I used to race) I couldn't resist when showed up on ebay with a BIN price of $500 (stuck motor).

I always thought they were neat looking even if behind the times a bit. And its a twin shocker like my old RM so I thought I would give it a go.

Anyway, here's where it gets interesting. The guy I bought it from purchased it new and still had the original paperwork from the dealer. That was neat but the real surprise came when he told me he raced the Unadilla MX-Rewind event this summer.

Not only that but he was in my very race. In fact, he got the hole shot in moto 1!

How cool is that?

Also neat was that he turned up in a lot of photos my wife took . You can only imagine how shocked and pleased he (Mike) was to get these.

So how about a couple of photos?

Here it is arriving home. Wife is still at work .

Ohlin shocks too. But they leak so I will have to learn how to rebuild them.

And here is one of the photos of Mike (#6, the former Husky owner) on his CR480!

More to come!
Hello, The Husqvarna's used Magnesium Cases and if the Motor is stuck You might have the dreaded Gut Rot. The first thing to do is have a look at the under side of the Engine below the Crank. If the seam between the Cases looks corroded then for sure You have issues. If its OK that doesn't mean all is well You will have to remove the Top end and look below the Crank with a Flash Light. The Husqvarnas looked behind the times in this era but they were not. The 250's were down on top end power to the Asian Bikes but they had better low end. Just what is perfect for Vintage today. One of the best features of owning one today is the wealth of info that Café Husky has on there Vintage side.
GreatestGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #293
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Parts Parts Parts

OK so I'm new to the sight. I'm building what I call a Greatest Generation collection of MX Bikes. What I mean by this is early 80's Open Class. Soon after this era the open Class would end. At this Point in time all the manufactures were producing there best ideas and each and ever Bike had its own look. For those of Us who were in this era we could never imagine the Cookie Cutter Bikes of today were its just a matter of picking your favorite color. I have restored a 82 Husqvarna 430, and just finished my 81 Maico 490. Last Night I picked up a very sad looking 465G. Its lived an abused life, and it would be shameful to even snap a picture of it in its current condition. On the good side is that it is suppose to run, the frame rails aren't smashed in, the Engine cases and Fins aren't cracked, and it was cheap.
This Thread has been a good one to say the least. The other Two Bikes have had a flavor of there own and different sources for parts. Some were better than others, 1/2 the battle is finding the right guy to buy from. As I'm new to Vintage Yamaha I'm a bit lost on where to go. Somebody must of scanned a Micro Fish and has a Parts list on the Web ? Who besides Dc has Plastics including a Tank? Where are we getting whats left of the OEM Parts? Where are we finding reproduction Parts? Thanx a bunch in advance.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #294
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Probably not the most original idea but I am considering building my 465G into a Marty Moates re-creation. I have watched the 1980 USGP Movie countless times. Google is not producing a whole lot of info other than some Pictures. I see the bike sold at Auction and that Duback rode it to honor Marty Moates. Other than the Simmons Forks I don't see a lot of change from a stock YZ. Even the Pipe looks to be stamped and not a Cone Pipe. Anybody have a source for more info ? How about some LOP Decals ?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #295
RKM50
n00b

Oddometer: 7
For OEM parts try Bike Bandit, Cheap cycle parts and Rocky Mountain ATV. I have used all three with great success for yamaha parts. Just Gas Tanks sells clarke brand replacement tanks for the older yz's and IT's. DC plastic is your best bet for body work, sometimes original stuff comes up on e-bay.
I have restored an 83 yz125, an 84 yz250 and now have an 83 yz490 I'm working on. I think the yamaha's are the easiest to find original parts for.
RKM50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #296
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestGeneration View Post
OK so I'm new to the sight. I'm building what I call a Greatest Generation collection of MX Bikes. What I mean by this is early 80's Open Class. ......snip...

I have restored a 82 Husqvarna 430, and just finished my 81 Maico 490. Last Night I picked up a very sad looking 465G.
---- snip---

Who besides Dc has Plastics including a Tank? Where are we getting whats left of the OEM Parts? Where are we finding reproduction Parts? Thanx a bunch in advance.

Greatest,

You have great taste in dirt bikes. I have a beat up '81 430 in the shop too.

I know clark manufacturing sells a replica tank but think it is closer to a 250 tank than a 465. they sell the same tank to fit both models.

You can still buy the '82 yz490 from Yamaha. It fits the 465, is yellow and is cheaper than other suppliers if you buy from boats.net (they have the microfish online, search for yz465g, or yz490j).

Kevin

Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #297
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestGeneration View Post
Probably not the most original idea but I am considering building my 465G into a Marty Moates re-creation. I have watched the 1980 USGP Movie countless times. Google is not producing a whole lot of info other than some Pictures. I see the bike sold at Auction and that Duback rode it to honor Marty Moates. Other than the Simmons Forks I don't see a lot of change from a stock YZ. Even the Pipe looks to be stamped and not a Cone Pipe. Anybody have a source for more info ? How about some LOP Decals ?

There was an old Cycle News article on the LOP Yamaha that Moates raced. If I recall correctly it was bored larger than 465 and also had Boyesen ports cut into the cylinder.

LOP decals can be found from FastGuyStuff.com

http://www.fastguystuff.com/SearchRe...rch=lop&Submit=

FastGuyStuff sells on ebay too. I bought KYB fork decals and other stuff from them, always happy.

And I have the 1980 USGP Movie too. It's great! I hope you will post progress on your moates replica!
Kevin

Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #298
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Being the attentive husband that I am, I took a break from tinkering with the vintage bikes this afternoon to give my wife some help with seasonal decorations around the house.

On left is her autumn pumpkin display... on right is my version .

Turns out she really didn't much help from me after all .

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #299
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Being the attentive husband that I am, I took a break from tinkering with the vintage bikes this afternoon to give my wife some help with seasonal decorations around the house.

On left is her autumn pumpkin display... on right is my version .

Turns out she really didn't much help from me after all .

Love the Husky tanks.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #300
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,531
Quote:
Here is a photo looking over the edge of gravity cavity. It looks even more challenging in real life!

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote