Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #301
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
Lets see, where was I… OK, yes, the call!

Well, it was not a call but rather a message on my cell phone.

My Unadilla teammate was out, injured after falling off his mountain bike. Bad enough so as there was no way he could hang onto a 465 around Unadilla.

The disappointment in his voice came through clearly in his message so I decided not to give him a hard time about it (I coulda killed em ), ah well.

My problem now was that I was on my own. I was concerned about this in case I should fall off and hurt myself. The plan for us to camp at the track was also out the window. I was looking forward to that too given Unadilla's rep as the Woodstock ( see photo from ~1977) of MX, what a bummer.

my god what a time warp. if you can pick out a Maverick in there it might be the one who's trunk I slept in cringing that the crazies who were screaming and burning would suddenly come look for people sleeping in trunks.

what I always enjoy talking most about Unadilla's night life is that nobody knows that the crazy behavior wasn't anything new or unique for the 70's upstate crowd, they just happened to do it at Unadilla that weekend. One can rest assured they did the same things the previous and following weekend.

it's so strange to look at the camping field now from the east side of RT8 it looks SO much smaller now. back then at night it seemed like it was an entire planet. I went every year from 71 -81 and then had a gap until 2009. been every year since. this year I did VMX, PRO QUAD MX, Pro National MX, and the GNCC and I got the shirts to prove it. Actually this years Unadilla shirt for the VMX was one of my pictures from 2012.

nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #302
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I was thinking of doing a 510cc to my 465. I have been looking a cylinder to buy.

What is the port differences between the IT490 and The YZ490.

Thanks
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #303
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Progress

Well I don't have much to show right now but I got a lot started and going on. I Fabed up a replacement Seat Hoop that was missing from the Frame and had it Blasted its now in for Powder Coating along with the Wheel Hubs and Brakes. NW Maico CZ has Maier Plastics Headed my way. The Bottom end and Clutch look to be in very good condition, as if somebody had recently rebuilt it using new Main Cases and Clutch Basket. The Weisco Piston was Toast and I just got the Barrel back from NW Sleeve with a new Woosner Piston. I have a new set of Excel Rims from Buchmanns ready to lace when I get the Hubs back. Tomorrow I'm headed to go look at a set of Simons Forks that are supposed to be ready to go. Now that I may have a set of Simons I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake with the Excel Rims and not the correct DID ones. The Front is still available, the rear is not, unless some body has a source I don't know about.
18 x 2.50. I'm also in need of a Pipe, I want a Stamped one the newer PFR and DG are Stamped, as is the Stock. That's whats happening.....
GreatestGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #304
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

I was told that some acetone would remove the Excel off the side of the Rims how ever it readily takes off most of it but not all. The Paint stains the Anodizing. So I took the Rims to my Anodizer and he striped them and re plated them silver in about 20 minutes and they are good to go.
I ended up picking up a set of Simons Forks, I have found Thor Larsons sight and he is a very good Vintage supplier. I was missing the Axel Nut ( which is 1/2" 16 thread, yes 16 ) and he made one for me for $20. It was going to cost me $70 for the tap to make my own. I used his recommendation of painting the Forks Safety Yellow, which has now been changed to OSHA Yellow.
I couldn't find anybody who had a PFR Pipe I stock and I have a history of slow or no delivery from them for my Maico stuff I went with the DG Pipe. I think it might look more like the Pipe Marty Moates was using that day anyway. I'm going to remove the DG and paint it black.
The last of the Parts I have yet to order are the Decals. I would prefer Tank Decals that are the lousy OEM style ones with out the Slits or Holes in them that nobody wants today cause they peel off with gas vapor. Despite looking at many pictures of the #23 Bike there are a number of Sponcer Decals I'm un sure of. Klotz- Simons- Halman-LOP are pretty clear but from there on I'm un sure of the rest. If any of You reconise them let me know. I see that the builders of other reproduction bikes that have been posted on the web have had had the same issue, as they have different decals in different places.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #305
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Quote:
Sniper X: Nice photos... yes that is Rick Burgetts OW41

Those photos reminded me to pass along these two books that I have been really enjoying. You will find plenty of good information on the OW Yamahas in these. Both include lots of great photographs and comments, even some from the riders who rode these machines. I found it very interesting to compare various aspects of our production bikes with what was done on the factory rides.

VMX magazine is another great resource. They have run several features on the Yamaha factory racers as well as articles covering restoration of the production bikes. Many of the back issues are still available.

Then there are the period magazine reviews. I found some of these in the Yahoo YZ490 group and others in the IT Enduro Club ( http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/ ) . Even more YZ tests can be found here ( http://www.simnet.is/skulitho/YZ_stuff/ )

Now, turning back (yuk yuk ) to the rear wheel discussion...

I wanted to point out a difference between the OEM Yamaha spokes and the Buchanan stainless spokes. The OEM spokes are butted (thicker diameter) at the end. The Buchanan stainless spokes are straight guage.

I am wondering if someone can comment on the general durability of the stainless spokes. Are they more or less reliable than the OEM's. They certainly look great, how do they hold up?

These photos should show the difference in spokes and the differences in the brake plate/spacer setup.

Here is the yz490 with butted spokes at the bend. There is no space between the plate and the swing arm, only the dust cover for the brake plate bushing.

Now, here is the '81 yz465 wheel with Buchanan stainless spokes. You can see there is no change in diameter at the bends. On the '81, the spacer is welded to the chain adjuster (I've rotated the brake plate to get a better view).

BTW, the 490 has the nice aluminum brake arm. Much nicer than this ugly stamped steel thing I found on my 465.

Finally, here are a couple of tools that have come in handy through the years.
On the left is a cheap tire bead breaker. I guess I wouldn't want to bring it on the ISDT but does make tire changing around the garage much easier. I can do motorcycle and car tires with this and a big set of spoons I have.

On the right is a wheel truing stand my father made in around 1970. As a kid, I remember him cutting threads for it on the lathe. Then he had me hold a piece or 2 in place while he laid down some tack welds.

And before anyone asks, this is not my wifes living room....oh, no,no,no.
This is the finished upstairs of my moto barn.

So how about it "anotherguy" you like those "fancy dan" stainless spokes? Breaking any?

And for Riceless950...

#23 Marty Moates on his 1980 LOP YZ465 showing em how its done!

Anybody know who's Sprocket is in the above Picture ? I have both of the JT China made ones the Steel one looks right but its Steel. And the Aluminum one has a modern CNC pattern and doesn't look at all like the one Marty Moates was using that day.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #306
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestGeneration View Post
Anybody know who's Sprocket is in the above Picture ? I have both of the JT China made ones the Steel one looks right but its Steel. And the Aluminum one has a modern CNC pattern and doesn't look at all like the one Marty Moates was using that day.

I believe that wheel has a stock Yamaha sprocket.

Here are the article on the Moates bike...

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #307
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Quote:

The stock bike used a Slotted Style Sprocket. I'm not sure if the bike in this article is even the same bike as the one Marty rode that day. If so its got different Decals, different Cylinder, different Pipe, different Number and who knows what else.

The Stock sprocket is a slotted style one.
I'm not sure if the Bike in the article is even the same bike Marty rode that day. IF it is it has different Decals, Cylinder, Head, Pipe, Number and who knows what else....
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #308
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Mud Gaurd

Anybody have a Mud Guard that goes between the Rear Fender and the Airbox? It was missing on my Abused Bike when I bought it. I now have most all the parts to finish the final assembly of the bike, and just now realized that I'm missing something. E-bay, New and Aftermarket are not producing any that I have found. Dose the 1980 use one of its own ? I have adapted a 81 Airbox since my original had had some major reconstruction, and I couldn't find a 80. Do we knopw if the 1980 has one of its own, or are they the same for a couple of years ? e-bay has some on either side of 1980, just not in the middle.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #309
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestGeneration View Post
Anybody have a Mud Guard that goes between the Rear Fender and the Airbox? It was missing on my Abused Bike when I bought it. I now have most all the parts to finish the final assembly of the bike, and just now realized that I'm missing something. E-bay, New and Aftermarket are not producing any that I have found. Dose the 1980 use one of its own ? I have adapted a 81 Airbox since my original had had some major reconstruction, and I couldn't find a 80. Do we knopw if the 1980 has one of its own, or are they the same for a couple of years ? e-bay has some on either side of 1980, just not in the middle.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/1

Select front/rear fender. Is #10, P/N 3R4-21629-00-00 GUARD, MUD what you are looking for?

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas

wfopete screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 12:39 PM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #310
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:

206 pounds and probably 50+ horsepower. How bout dem apples Rear tire must have been made of solid concrete.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #311
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/1

Select front/rear fender. Is #10, P/N 3R4-21629-00-00 GUARD, MUD what you are looking for?

Yes #10, which is no longer available. The above Part Number is good for the 1980 465, and the 1981 250 and 465. wile we are at it I need the bracket and the Flap as well.

Yes #10. The above part number is good for the 1980 465 as well as the 1981 250 and 465. Wile we are at it I need 13 and 15 to.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #312
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
206 pounds and probably 50+ horsepower. How bout dem apples Rear tire must have been made of solid concrete.
The Sprocket in these Pictures have round Holes and the Stock ones had the Slotted style holes. I just installed my Steel JT Sprocket which looks very close to the #25 Bike in the Picture, which may or may not be the Bike Marty Rode that day. If this is the same bike, a fair amount of evolution had transpired, The Carlsbad #23 Bike had more holes in the Sprocket, which I can do if I could find an Aluminum one that has these style holes, or no holes at all.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #313
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

What did LOP do to get it so light ?

Anybody know what was done to the bike to get it as light as its supposed to be? We know it had Yamaha Works Magnisium Hubs, rumors has it the Frame was lightened, but the stock one is so light it couldn't be much. The Shock reservoir is bigger so it must weigh more. Lets throw in some Ti axels and lets pull a gear or two out of the Trans that wasn't used. The Pipe is just a Stamped Steel one, The Cylinder Fins are not Drilled, the Forks Sliders have not been turned down and don't even have the Brake Stay Mounts that are not used machined off. The Rims were supposed to be Stock DID ( at least the #25 bike). So where did all the fat come off?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #314
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
If you have a good parts guy at the Yamaha dealer he can find you one of the mud guards,if there's one to be had. I can check Tuesday when I get to the shop if I remember. It is Christmas Eve so we'll be busy with drunken tire kickers. I'll make a phone call later and post up.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #315
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Maybe the #25 photo is at Carlsbad ( I see California plate on the Chevy box van In the photo) where the article says they removed to get up to minimum weight for FIM.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote