User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #316
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Final X country race for 2013

I have really been up to my neck in this goofy farm purchase deal (very stressful, ha, more about that later...maybe!) but did want to report on what was for me the final race of the season.

This was the Johnny B Classic held in mid-October. I did this one last year, it is a cross country race that runs about an hour long and held on a private farm outside of Westminster, MD.

It was a great course, a little more "open" than last year. I really like the setting and the farm owners are real enthusiasts and super nice folks.

This event itself is organized by the Potomac Vintage Riders. A real group of gentleman... well, at least until the helmets go on !

There was a good turnout and lot's of neat old race bikes. So let's have a look shall we?

I always liked these PE250's

And another

And a single shocker even! Don't see many of these!

More canned ham!

Got milk?

More racers pulling in...

How about this nice red and well setup Maico?

Some very sporting gentleman racers!

A well strapped down Husky!

I brought the evil twins !

More to come!

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #317
GreatestGeneration
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Any Body Eagle Eyed

Can anybody make out the small Decal that is on the top of the front number plate on the right side of the bike. Its green and looks to have gold letters in an upside down U shape. Don't feel bad, I can't make it out and none of the reproduction bike Pics I have seen have it either so were not the only ones. Wile we are at it, there might be a small decal at the top of the plate itself, between the 2 and 3. I have another Picture that shows all this a little better but for the life of me I can't up load it here.
GreatestGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #318
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I hope someone here can point me in the right direction . I took probably 200+ pics in June at Unadilla. I'm sure not as kick ass as the pics I see posted here, but I still carried my Canon and watched the races through a view finder than sitting back enjoying the old bikes going around the track and when I put the Card in the computer it said It could not download them.
Now I can't see the pics back on the cameras screen as it comes up error.
Where can I send this card to get the pics off of it?
I know I'd they got pics off of Jody Aries camera that was washed to convict her of murder, it's possible to get a weekend of VMX pics off my flash card
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #319
Kevin K
Adventurer

FJ Kevin, have you ever thought of mounting a 80/81 YZ250 tank? It's less bulky than the 465 tank.
After my current project I may pursue an 81 250. I had one back in the day. I always liked the look do that bike.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #320
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
FJ Kevin, have you ever thought of mounting a 80/81 YZ250 tank? It's less bulky than the 465 tank.
After my current project I may pursue an 81 250. I had one back in the day. I always liked the look do that bike.
Hi Kev,

The other 465 I have came with a 250 tank already on it. And you are right in that the 250 tank is quite a bit slimmer.

The moto's these days are not so long so I don't think running out of gas is an issue.

I noticed the sides of the 250 tank is flatter too. So it should be easier to get those '80 style decals to go on there without wrinkling like they did on my 465 tank.

Here is a side by side snap of the two bikes. The left bike has the '81 250 tank... it does feel smaller while riding it.

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 05:57 PM
Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #321
Kevin K
Adventurer

while dirt bikes are not drugs, at times I find a similarity in addictions . I can't help but scheme and plan how I'm going to find the money to get a 81 YZ250 when I'm currently out of work and not even done with the project I have going on. Your 465s are have such clean lines to me. Every time I return to this thread I start to get fired up inside again.
Someone needs to make an aluminum tank for your bike.
Do you plan on Unadilla this season? I want to ride as many classes as Dakota did last year. Plus the hare scramble.
Do you have a Boost Bottle on your bike? I remember in 81 every bike that was on the line had one. I'm actually surprised there weren't 10 bikes seized on side of the tracks every moto from air leaks fom cheesy intake hookups. In 81 when I was a parts man some kid came in to buy boost to go in his boost bottle . I should have sold him some.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #322
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,172
and a powerband.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #323
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Kevin K;23095989]

-Someone needs to make an aluminum tank for your bike.
-Do you plan on Unadilla this season? I want to ride as many classes as Dakota did last year. Plus the hare scramble.
-Do you have a Boost Bottle on your bike?

QUOTE]

Hi Kev,
In response to your comments...
-Someone needs to make an aluminum tank for your bike.
Agreed! This is something I have been wanting to do myself. There is a nice thread here on ADVR of someone making an aluminum tank and also a few videos on youtube. I do have a tig welder but am not sure it I am enough of a craftsman to do an acceptable job. Maybe one day I will give it a try.

-Do you plan on Unadilla this season?
I am thinking about it. I really need to get in better shape though. If the motos had been longer I would have been in real trouble!

Have you raced this event? it would be cool to see another ADVR guy lining up!

-Do you have a Boost Bottle on your bike?
Not on the 465's. The IT490 came with one stock. All the hoses on the IT are in good shape and so I have never experienced a problem with it.

I have this 510cc IT490 motor on the bench that I am going to swap into my 465. I will probably stick with all the 465 intake components and not run a boost bottle, at least initially.

Kevin

Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #324
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Johnny B race continued...

Well, I was lucky again to have my along and it was who snapped all the action pictures that follow. And now that I have more of them uploaded we can continue on a bit with the report.

As is usually the case at events like this, the riders are given a sight lap to check out the course.

It is a "follow the leader" type affair that helps calm the nerves and allows everyone a chance to see the "tricky" sections at less than race speeds.

Here is snap where we are funneling past the scorers table. They put in this little zig-zag section to slow riders down. Coming in hot and sliding into the volunteers is highly frowned upon and will definitely get you DQ'ed!

You can see from the photo that a good start is very important, even in in x-country, as you can lose a lot of time to the leaders if caught in the back of a long line like this.

Speaking of the start, it was another one of those dead engine deals. You know, flag is on the ground and all engines are off. When the starter lifts the flag you start kicking! These can be tough on old guys like me trying to start an open bike. I had my concerns.

They placed us in about 4 or 5 lines with each line being waved off in about 30 sec intervals. The first line was experts and modern bikes if memory serves me. They were followed by the various vintage and post vintage classes.

I signed up for what was called 50+ intermediate, post vintage. They mixed us in with a line of young bucks riding 200cc intermediate for some reason.

Here are some photos of the various lines forming up as the riders return from the sight lap and refueling.

The guy in yellow, in the photo below and all the way to the left, is the race starter and the one who would wave us off.

Here I am wondering if I'm in the right line and worrying about this dead engine start business!

The decision to ride this event was a last minute one as it had only been about 8 weeks or so since my knee surgery. The recovery had been going kind of slow and I had a lot of swelling which prevented my knee from bending enough to ride comfortably.

I wasn't able to ride my bicycle either so my conditioning was falling off pretty quickly from what it was in the summer time.

I was also waiting for my new CTI knee brace to arrive. It came in just the week before.

I have a completely torn ACL (like skier Lindsey Vonn as it turns out) but this brace seems to return a lot of stabilty. It is custom fitted to one's leg. The surgeon wrote me a prescription for it. I then went to a medical prosthetics company to be measured and fitted.

It went pretty smoothly except for trying to find out the cost of the brace and my ultimate co-pay before going ahead with it. The brace manufacture, Ossur, would not give me this information over the phone. And the fitting company gave me different co-pay figures whenever I talked to them. In the end, my insurance company appears to have paid the entire negotiated price for the darn thing. I'm still not sure what they paid for it!

In any case, it does seem to do the job. I hardly notice it while riding and am happy with it overall, especially as the last thing I want is another knee surgery.

Here is a photo of the brace placed over my jeans. Normally I would wear this under my riding pants. The lower part of the brace tucks in under my riding boot without problems.

My wasn't to keen on the idea of me doing this race so soon but I told I would just take it easy and ride for fun.

And I meant it too. But then I got this crazy good start. The big 490 lit up first kick and off I was in 3rd position quickly chasing down these two pesky youngsters!

The kid on the red bike was dispensed with right after this turn. The kid in green was home from college, he was tougher... apparently he won the intermediate class at this event last year .

The 1st part of the course was fairly open and the 490 could rip this section. But then it headed into the tight woods where the size and weight of the big 490 can sometimes work against you, especially if you are in less than top form .

So I knew I needed to move forward before getting to the tight stuff and I had to do it quickly.

First I tried to take him on the inside here...

Then I tried setting him up here,

I couldn't quite get him. Instead, we went over that small jump pretty much side by side and then drag raced it to the next turn which we both overshot !.

Never the less, I was able to get back on course before him and so beat him into the woods.

As the saying goes... age before beauty !

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 03:43 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #325
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Johnny B continued...

Now although I had the edge in the open sections, I have to concede that he was a bit faster in the tight stuff. Even so, I was able to ride just fast enough to keep him at bay through most of it.

At one point though, he tried to duck under me in a left hander that turned up a loose hill. He got a bit squirrelly and we banged bars some . And then I think he stalled his motor.

Usually I come up short in these incidents but this time I was able to steer around him and blast on down the trail .

Yeah, respect thy elders young man !

When I came into the scoring area there were no pesky youngsters in sight .

At this point I was still feelling pretty good and thought I was on top of things.

Back in the favored open sections I was grabbing big handfulls of 490 throttle. Talk about fun!

And I was thinking, "these young momma's boys, they got nothin on me!"

More to come...

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 03:44 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #326
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Johnny B continued

But it was hot that day and I was starting to feel it.

I figured I better back off in the tight woods to conserve my energy. I would instead have to draw on vast experience and cunning to carry me home.

It was working and I was recovering a bit... until I stalled the motor in one of those blasted tight sections. It started OK but the heat really hit me with all that gear on . There was no breeze in those thick woods.

I got going again and was still leading and riding sort of OK but the speed was clearly coming down !

"Watch it boys, very tired ADVR oldtimer coming through!"

At about the 20 minute mark I was really hurting. Still in front and OK in the open but getting real sloppy in the tight.

Then it happened...

That young buck in green caught up to me in the woods . Not only that but he had the audacity to hollar at me to move over !

So I moved over. Not conceding anything but to let him run. Like a great fisherman, I would let him run and then I would get to the open and reel him back in ! Then I would teach him some manners!

But it was hot and dusty... and I was now eating his dust .

Damn, he had me on the ropes. I was in a weakened state and now blinded too !

I hung on to him for awhile but then my front wheel slipped over a berm and down a ravine I went. It was too tough to turn around so I had to continue down until I dropped into a creek bed. I rode the creek until I could find a place to ride out. After picking up the trail again, I stopped and took my helmet off to cool myself down. I was toast!

So that's the way it went. I think I lasted about 30 minutes. Not too bad except for the fact that the race was 1 hour long! Still, I had a great time, didnt get hurt and I enjoyed chatting it up with the other old timers. And I always enjoy seeing the old bikes.

The wife had a good time too!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #327
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,344
Thumb

Cool!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #328
mungus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thumb Thanks so much!

Really man thanks allot for this thread. I couldn't believe my luck when I found it as I am about to start on doing the same sort of thing.

My US spec YZ465G (I'm in OZ and its an import), will be a Marty Moates / Rick Burgett "tribute" bike. It will be a very similar theme to yours (43mm forks, YZ490 alloy brake levers, translucent panels, wet blasted barrel etc, and a few custom Billet parts).
Mine came with a new DG pipe fitted so I'll live with that and try your jetting specs. I cant justify buying another new pipe with that on there! Besides I had already bought a matching DG muffler before I read your pipes vs. jetting posts. Ah well, the DG pipe does at least look a bit like an OW41's pipe.

On the subject of really faithful "replicas", I recently saw a guy selling a claimed genuine NOS OW41 works carb and also some OW41 triple clamps on eBay recently ($1,500 USD each) and I found a guy who can make a fabulous replica aluminium OW41 gas tank too (stateside). Add those 3 bits and you really could say you damn near have a true replica. However I won't be buying those parts. Like yours mine will be a rider, not a museum piece, and I think I would be worried about dinging the tank every time I rode it! Plus I imagine that 40mm works carb could make anything other than wide open a bit sad.

This is such a good restoration and upgrade guide I've already PDF'd the whole thing. I also see that like me, an IT buff as well. So here's a link to my recent IT200 restoration on the IT forum. Enjoy!

http://www.yamahait.com.au/forum/ind...c,16702.0.html
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #329
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Not mine but just saw it for sale:

1981 YZ 465 all original. Runs great. Original owner with title. $1,900 obo

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4269042100.html
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #330
D.T.
One wheel wonder...