Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #376
PoppaBear1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very nice present from an outstanding guy. Good work Bob (to a very deserving recipient).

I've been following this thread with interest. (Almost ready to post my Yamaha project work...)
PoppaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #377
mungus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Building a 1981 Yamaha YZ465 Factory Replica...

Works parts from the Hurricane! What next? That's amazing, I would be keeping that hand addressed box too!

I really enjoyed watching his Massacre at Saddleback DVD. The man is into everything I like; country life, dirt bikes, bush planes and even WW2 fighters. A pity god didn't give me his mx talent along with the shared interests! :-)

Very nice that he still takes time out to help out us mere mortals. Bob was one of my heros in my MX heydays in the 1980's. A racer with a personality rather than the spoilt paddock brats he was often up against.

We are blessed that he's still so involved and wants to give back to the sport.

Sent from my iPad

mungus screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 02:23 AM
mungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #378
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
It's been quite awhile since I have made any updates here.

Sorry to say that I haven't gotten much riding in this year. Work has been tough and recently I got the word that my office will be closing and if I don't move out of state, then I will be out of a job!

Well, I ain't movin!

Finding another position is a time consuming prospect and this has been chewing up time I would have liked to have spent on racing activities.

The good news is that while I have not landed anything quite yet, I do appear to have some good leads. And for that I am very grateful!

Then there is this farm my wife and I purchased last year. This was part of a long term plan to move further out to the country after retirement... still some years away.

That plan is a bit up in the air at the moment and I am no longer 100% sure we will keep it even thought that is still what I would like to do.

Even so, I have been enjoying working on the place. But the rough winter has meant that I have burned more 2-stroke mix in the chain saw than in the dirt bikes!

And with all that is going on it looks like this years plans for Unadilla will have to be set aside as well.

There is some good news however. In addition to cutting up all the downed limbs and trees, I have managed to cut some trails. And I have begun to lay out a bit of an MX track also. My thinking is I might as well try to enjoy the property while we have it!

So this has been my ride for most of the spring,

It's a ~1940 Ford 9N. It actually runs pretty good. It starts right up so long as the 6 V battery has a good charge. The brakes don't work though so I have to think well ahead so as not to put it through a fence !

Since we don't have any horses (excluding the 465/490's of course) it's up to me to trim the fields from time to time. Truth be told, I kind of like doing it .

And as I said, with the fields and this winter's debris mostly titied up I have started on the trails and mx track. Here is a grassy trail section.

There are some pretty good slopes to make use of too. Here is one key section!

I thought I might actually fit in a ride this past weekend but I just couldn't get all the chores done in time. Next weekend looks pretty good though.

So what about the bikes? I did pull the 465 out late Sunday. And it started 2nd kick! There is nothing like the sound of a fire breathing two-stroke to lift the spirits !

More to come...

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #379
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Kevin,

Good to see some post in your YZ thread. Looks like you have a beautiful place! Keep that 9N’s battery charged and fresh fuel in it. I remember whacking the side of the float bowl with a hammer of our old 9N tractor every now and then to keep her running. The more I know about you the more similarities I find. I too have been job searching for the past year and I too have encountered squashed Unadilla aspirations. Last year I also have added acreage to my country “Estate” down here in Arkansas. Although after moving here from Michigan decades ago I have found that my Arkansas acreage (read rocky, hilly & wooded) is about a 3 to1 ratio in ride time. What it would take me 5 minutes to ride in Michigan takes me 15 minutes here. The hardest part is “Opening Up” the tight woods enough to get a bike in 3rd or 4th gear, but that is exactly what I’ve been trying to do. Don’t give up the farm, you need to run them hosses!

Last Sunday I went to the AHRMA 2-day qualifier down here at Combs, AR. I was hoping to ride my ’73 Penton Jackpiner but it didn’t work out. They had an awesome grass track/MX section that would make Dick Mann proud!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #380
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your note. So you have a 9N too... haha, great! Maybe we will see a 9N thread one day.

I hope mine holds together for a while yet, don't think I could handle another rebuild project!

The farm really is a nice setting. But I would say the best view of the place is from the porch. This is because it places the house behind you and well out of sight!

So I didn't know you had a Penton too. I am really looking forward to seeing the John Penton Documentary when it comes out. Maybe you have some pics of your bike & the event to post up for us?

So is your farm income producing? If so, what do you raise there?

I have been considering ways to have the place cover some of the over head as I would like to hang on to it. Another thought was to simply mothball the house for awhile so I can postpone the renovation work.

Time will tell I guess!

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 07:38 PM
Old 05-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #381
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The difference a few days makes...

There has been some good news on the job front... so good it put me in the mood to get out this evening on the YZ.

This is the 1st time I have taken it down to the farm. Once again it started 2nd kick!

Here are a couple of photos once off the truck.

It will be sometime before I have a proper "long" course laid out but I was able to put a loop together for this evenings ride.

My wife met me out there after work and she took a few snaps of the fun. One thing you'll notice is all the grass... like Unadilla in the old days!

It was a bit slick though as it had rained in the morning.

The bike ran pretty well but I think I may need to raise the needle one notch. And up the hill we go, hooking up nicely!

Another grassy turn before a downhill

Here I am planning a course change (see, I am old!). I could really use some course marking ribbon.

Peace sign wheelie like we did them in the '70's

After taking a few photos my wife suggested that I try riding the course backwards.

So I did.

Haha, I taught myself to ride a motorcycle backwards when I was 12 and after seeing a photo of Floyd Clymer riding backwards in and old motorcycle book I found in the local library.

It has been quite awhile since I have done this. I guess some things you never forget .

So having ridden the IT490 not too long ago I can honestly say that the 490 has significantly more low end and mid-range power. The 465 is fast, no doubt, but the 490 has a broader power band and is noticeably stronger.

I think the IT is more controllable and easier to ride fast.

I have suspected this for awhile but it is clear to me now that I have ridden both within a reasonable timeframe.

So what does this mean?

It means I am going to complete that IT490 based 510cc motor that is still on the bench but nearly finished. And then I am going to swap it into the 465 and give it a whirl.

Stay tuned...

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #382
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Get those elbowz up!!!!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #383
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Thumb Ford 9n?

My first real job was to drive the 9n. Working on a farm. We had 2 9ns. Cutting the hay, mowing the grass, pulling the hay rake, were all jobs i did with my 9n.
My pay was one dollor per hour!!! My boss always knew how much to pay me. 40 hours = $40.00 bucks a week.
Wish i could go back to that time.
Hope you get your job soon. Love your 465YZ!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #384
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Get those elbowz up!!!!

Yeah, your right.

This is a bad habit I think I picked up from many years of road cycling. When riding on the drops the idea was to keep your elbows down and tucked in for aerodynamics.

I am going to ride more tomorrow so will try to pay attention to form.

BTW, still cant find that darn shock spring! Driving me nuts!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #385
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
My first real job was to drive the 9n. Working on a farm. We had 2 9ns. Cutting the hay, mowing the grass, pulling the hay rake, were all jobs i did with my 9n.
My pay was one dollor per hour!!! My boss always knew how much to pay me. 40 hours = $40.00 bucks a week.
Wish i could go back to that time.
Hope you get your job soon. Love your 465YZ!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
Thanks Ed. Looks like I am about to land something, got the verbal offer, waiting for formal offer from HR.

This is 1st time for me being in a situation like this, not fun! I have sensed this was coming for a look time so was pretty well prepared. Even so, it still affects you and is difficult for anyone who goes through it as too many of us know.

BTW, I think my 1st job paid $3 an hour. 1st raise was 25 cents for 3.25 an hour! Tough supporting a dirt bike racing program on that!

The weather is looking good for tomorrow so I am going to take the two 465's and the It490 out. Raised the needle one notch on yz # 1 so want to see how that works out. Yz # 2 still needs some check out after rebuilding the motor last year. And the IT490 is coming out for comparison purposes.

Plus I have worked on the course a little more today. I am out of shape but it should still be fun.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #386
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I have my 510cc IT490 motor is just about ready to go now.

The plan was to try this in my YZ465 but now I am rethinking that.

One reason is that I recently came across this tank from an '83 YZ 490 .

And a check of the parts inventory says I have a good deal of whats needed to put one of these together, except for a frame.

But now I found one of those too .

Now this is not a project I would start right away but given how much I like the IT490 (and I do like that linked rear suspension) I can't help to wonder how the YZ version would be.

Here is a photo of an '83 found on the web. Kind of cool I think.

So this is what I have,

- Motor
- Pipe
- Frame
- Tank
- Wheels/brakes/torque arm
- Fenders
- Fork
- Fork boots
- Brake/clutch lever assemblies
- Most cables

This is what I think I am missing,
- Airbox
- Seat
- Tires/tubes
- Rear brake lever
- Shift lever
- Bars
- rear shock (although I do have an IT490 shock)

Again, this would be a winter project and not something to start on right away. I have already gotten a late start on the season and so want to get in some more riding time before starting something new .

Of course, I have a shop full of stuff as it is. Surely something will have to go if I go ahead with this!

On another subject, I just found out the John Penton movie will be playing near me. Have to say I am really excited about seeing this and have reserved two tickets.

Apparently, 86 folks must reserve for this to show. But it is already showing 73 reservations with 24 days to go so I'd say it is just about a sure thing at this point.

Here is the link for those in the Maryland and surrounding area. Maybe I will see you there!

https://gathr.us/screening/8335

Kevin

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #387
mudmantra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I like the idea of a 510cc IT/YZ bike. I like the 83YZ490 chassis, It's 10 lbs. lighter than my 82YZ490. I like the looks of both the 82 and 83 YZ490's. It would be nice to have a 5 speed too. I've been riding my YZ465 through the woods in second gear, to get some idea how the YZ490 well be in the tight stuff.
mudmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #388
athomerecords25
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 99
Wink

Great that you are doing the 1983 Yamaha YZ490, it is one of my favorite bikes. This is the reason why my 1980 Yamaha YZ465 Marty Moates Replica project has stalled:
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member...Mixon848,25684

Picture taken before the addition of:
New Honda CR125 Throttle
New Front Brake Perch and Lever
New Chain Slider
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #389
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Here's the 1980 USGP bike that Moates rode~
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #390
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Here's a close up of an "OW" carb...

Norty01 screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 10:41 PM Reason: dammit!
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote