Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #391
athomerecords25
Vintage YZ *****

Oddometer: 100
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post

I may have a clark tank for an '82 yz490 but it is kind of rough and I would need to check to see if it still holds gas. You are welcome to that one.

Kevin

Did anyone take you up on the 1982 Clarke Yamaha YZ490 Tank?
athomerecords25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #392
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
John Penton Movie

So where does the time go? Summer has flown by and the dirt biking action has been a bit thin for me these last couple of months. But we did get to go to the sold out John Penton movie event held here in Maryland a few weeks ago.

And what a nice event it was. Not only did local club members arrange for a BBQ & informal bike show but the big surprise was to learn that John and Jack Penton would be coming in from Ohio to attend in the flesh!

The movie was terrific and turn out was great. Got to sit, chat and eat BBQ with Jack Penton. John was pretty busy signing autographs (tanks and old Penton brochures), chatting it up with the young ladies. Several old Pentons were on display including a Penton trials bike.

Here are a few photos of the event I hope all will enjoy!

The final tally was 270 tickets sold!

Unfortunately, the Gathr Movie Captain, Brett Smith, was injured and could not attend the event. Hearing this, John and Jack Penton drove to the hospital for a personal visit with Brett. Pretty cool I thought especially as they had just drove in from Ohio. Here is a snippet from a facebook page that appeared days later.

The club requested attendees come on motorcycles and wear vintage offroad gear. It was too far to ride over on the IT490 so we took the Italian Husqvarna. Note the Hi-point boots, turns out Penton had a hand in these too.

Jack Penton is a very personable and approachable guy and gave a nice talk at the BBQ before the movie.

Several brought their old Penton Jerseys even if they didn't quite fit anymore :-) .

I believe John Pento is about 89 year old but still pretty spry as Renee found out!

This is long time club member Tommy G (tan shirt). Tommy is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. He now owns the Husqvarna with CZ motor that inmate Scootern built (it's a small world!). Tommy also has Pentons and that is his tank being signed by Mr. Penton.

And now for some of the bikes on display.

Here is Paul Stannard and his wife. They came down from New England for the event.

Paul is the owner of Strickly Hodaka and supplies those super duper Preston Petty fenders I've been using on a couple of my dirt bike restorations.

I really liked his shirt too!

Soon it was time to ride over to the movie theater.

I really enjoyed the movie, not only the motorcycling part of it but also the story of the business and the various dealings that went on. Even Renne liked it.

And I was not aware that Penton also started Hipoint and was responsible for the success of Hipoint boots.

So overall a real good time... delicious BBQ, nice bikes on display and great to have met and talked with John and Jack in person!

Two thumbs up!

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #393
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,353
Cool2

Cool!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #394
GatrorBack
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Best thread I have read in years,two thumbs wayyyyyy up!

GatrorBack screwed with this post 09-22-2014 at 10:09 PM
GatrorBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #395
SwampApe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Awesome thread, really inspiring. Just read the whole thing and you've got me pretty jazzed on getting out on the track. Just picked up a 1979 YZ400 and will be racing it for the first time at Barber this year. If you make it down to the south to race give me a holler!

SwampApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #396
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatrorBack View Post
Best thread I have read in years,two thumbs wayyyyyy up!
Thanks!

And thanks for posting this wonderful photo.

Very cool, some great '70's dirt biking action going on there! Looks hotted up too, what with that trick cone down pipe expansion chamber. Really super!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #397
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampApe View Post
Awesome thread, really inspiring. Just read the whole thing and you've got me pretty jazzed on getting out on the track. Just picked up a 1979 YZ400 and will be racing it for the first time at Barber this year. If you make it down to the south to race give me a holler!

Great to hear. That's a fine bike you have there (looks to be in great shape), I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it!. Feel free to share your barber experience with us, especially any photos you may have.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #398
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Race Report....

So what a hectic year it has been! It seems the months have just flown by and there have just not been that many riding opportunities this year.

With the season almost over, I finally made up my mind to attend the final cross country event of the season in my area, the Johnny B Classic. This event is part of that most grand and very successful cross country racing series put on by our local club, the Potomac Vintage Riders.

The event took place towards the end of October or about 4 or 5 weeks ago. And if you follow this thread then you have heard about the Johnny B before. In fact, this would be my 3rd time attending this event.

It is held in New Winsor, MD, just 24 miles away from my home and on one of those lush green and rolling picturesque farms Maryland is known for. Here is the google view…

Now, aside from the close proximity and the leisurely 1:00pm start time, the main attraction is the course itself.

The parts I like best are the open swoopy sections as these allow a chance to really crack the throttle on that big IT490 I would be riding.

There is also plenty of tight wooded stuff too and I have to admit the 490 is always a handful there. Throttle control would be key, especially through the many switched back rock strewn slopes. I didn't want to wind up flying off the trail and into the creek like last year!

There is lot's more to tell but 1st, how about this Penton?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #399
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Unlike last year, we had a fair amount of rain in the week leading up to the event. So while we didn't have dust or excessive heat to contend with we did have rain gullies and some rutted mud bogs to watch out for.

And then there were a few grass free, crowned hard pack sections that were particularly treacherous as they were covered in a skim coat of very slick mud... more about this later.

Other challenges included the usual assortment of stream crossings, rain downed logs and low hanging branches.

Aside from a nice assortment of very cool vintage race bikes in attendance (still loading up the photos!) there were some other interesting vehicles as well.

Ford Model T anyone?

And I thought these T-bone guys next to me had a nice setup! They had a lot of bikes loaded up in there. I particularly
like the side storage bin for the tool boxes, gas and parts.

The bus also had this very impressive front grill treatment... Haha, how would you like to see that in your mirror ?!!!

Most of these guys rode modern bikes. In fact, the PVR held a class especially for them and it too was very popular.

Still loading pictures so much more to come!

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 11-22-2014 at 08:11 PM
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #400
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, so now that I have some more photos loaded up, lets have a looksee..

Here is another view of that Penton,

And another. I like the leather enduro bag on the rear fender. This one must be a little later too as it has KTM on the motor,

There were a good selection of Husky's too. I believe this fella was riding his brothers bike... above all else he was not to dent the tank!

How about this Husky?

When I asked "how about a picture Malcolm (Smith)", this was the reaction I got! He was a very nice guy and we had a nice chat about his bike.

This is Marty from Pennsylvania. Marty is 60 now but has a very long racing history and really flies in the woods. More often than not, he wins his class.

Husky 4-stroker

There was a strong turnout from the Can-Am camp too.

This SWM is made in Italy but since it uses the same motor as the Can-Am I'll add it here.

Here's the chippie posing with the SWM

This SWM trials bike was pretty cool,

Another view,

More to come!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #401
joewilsonsmate
never too old

Oddometer: 1
unleaded and reeds

thankyou for a marvelous thread ,ive really enjoyed it these past few weeks,been reading a little ata atime to make it last.
ive just bought an 81 4v4 yz 465,complete with 10-20 year 0ld dirt and grime,i washed it and underneath it seems to be all there!,all i need is a kickstarter and a clutch lever,it has compression,the gears select and the brakes work
the fork stanchions are grotty and will be binned,ive stripped the plastics off and got the engine out as the clutch shaft casing has sheared off about an inch under the arm,its a clean break and is not in the wet part. Im going to try to hunt down a local mig welder to build it up hopefully, not having these skills myself.
.i didnt want to split cases,im okaywith outer cases and inspection of clutch basket and kickstart mech etc but that 'dynamic timing set up scares the hell out of me so i dont want to pull the magneto and seperate cranks if i can help it.
ideally id pay somone to completely overhaul the motor but theres no local engineering anymorehere.if somebody knows of anyone in the u.k plse let me know.next year i too am hoping to race in the vet classes and this has really inspired me.
has anybody changed to racing reeds with their motor?and can i run this thing on unleaded fuel?thankyou everybody
joewilsonsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #402
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well finally found a few minutes so how about some more vintage iron from the Johnny B.

The last posting ended with some Italian bikes. So now we start off with some fine Spanish machinery.

This is a before photo of the number 56 Bultaco

And here is the "after" photo of #56 and its' owner/racer. Had a nice chat with this fella. Although he lives relatively close by in PA, he was heading to Maine right after the race as he had just bid and won a couple of Ossa's listed on ebay. Said there was a fairly large collection of bikes being sold off as the owner had passed away earlier this year.

This next one is a 1966 (!!!) Montesa

This Bull looks great in the pictures but was even better in person.

From the far east was this nice Suzuki PE

And there were plenty of Yamaha's on tap.

The white whale!

I'm guessing this is a '79 CR250. I remember lining up against these when new!

And from the USA, this very cool Rokon!

More to come!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #403
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewilsonsmate View Post
thankyou for a marvelous thread ,ive really enjoyed it these past few weeks, been reading a little ata atime to make it last.
ive just bought an 81 4v4 yz 465,complete with 10-20 year 0ld dirt and grime,i washed it and underneath it seems to be all there!,all i need is a kickstarter and a clutch lever,it has compression,the gears select and the brakes work
the fork stanchions are grotty and will be binned,ive stripped the plastics off and got the engine out as the clutch shaft casing has sheared off about an inch under the arm,its a clean break and is not in the wet part. Im going to try to hunt down a local mig welder to build it up hopefully, not having these skills myself.
.i didnt want to split cases,im okaywith outer cases and inspection of clutch basket and kickstart mech etc but that 'dynamic timing set up scares the hell out of me so i dont want to pull the magneto and seperate cranks if i can help it.
ideally id pay somone to completely overhaul the motor but theres no local engineering anymorehere.if somebody knows of anyone in the u.k plse let me know.next year i too am hoping to race in the vet classes and this has really inspired me.
has anybody changed to racing reeds with their motor?and can i run this thing on unleaded fuel?thankyou everybody

============================================

Glad you are enjoying the thread. There are some very knowledgeable folks on ADVRDR and I am sure they will be happy to help you along.

And that is a great bike you have there. The '81 has several improvements over the '80 model.

Regarding,

"the clutch shaft casing has sheared off about an inch under the arm,its a clean break and is not in the wet part. Im going to try to hunt down a local mig welder to build it up hopefully, not having these skills myself."

There is a high probability of fixing this. Remove the needle bearing that the clutch actuating arm goes through from the case. Replace the bearing with a steel socket of the same diameter. The purpose of the socket is to hold the diameter/shape as the case is tig welded around it. The aluminum will not stick to the steel. Avoid hitting the tig arc on the socket so as not to melt the steel. Instead, build up the aluminum around the socket. After the area is built back up with aluminum, pop out the socket and put the needle bearing back in. There may be some shaping to do with a file. I did a repair like this many years ago and it worked fine as there is not much stress on the bearing from the clutch arm (so the bore does not need to be absolutely perfect). This was much easier than re-machining the needle bearing bore as you don't have to split the cases.

If you need to, the flywheel comes off ok so long as you use the correct puller (insert and tighten the puller and give the head of the puller bolt a quick ramp once under tension and it usually pops right off). If your bike has the original flywheel and ignition plate then you may be close enough by aligning the mark on the ignition plate to the timing mark on the engine case.

Yes, you should race the vet class on your 465 and post your experience right here! We want to read about VMX action in the UK. Your bike seems to be very popular in the twin shock series...you will not be the only one... it will be great fun!

Regarding the reeds and fuel, I am running stock reeds but know many others run aftermarket reeds with success. Personally, I run my race bikes on 93 octane unleaded fuel... nothing special at all. I did spend time on getting the jetting dialed in and you may need to also.

Feel free to post some photos. Perhaps you may even what to start a VMX Adventure of your own!

Cheers!
Kevin

Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #404
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 187
Quote:

I'm guessing this is a '79 CR250. I remember lining up against these when new!

Left side kick starter? Not a chance that's a regular CR. That looks to be an RC. It looks like that mill might be an "open class" bike, and Honda didn't sell their open class bikes to anyone, (until later.)
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #405
G54B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Every late 70's CR I've seen has been left side kick, I was under the impression that it wasn't until 80-81 that Honda changed it to right kick

Edit: a quick google search tells me that '84 was the first of the right kick CR250s. My bad.
'79 Suzuki GS550 shed ornament/future daily ride

G54B screwed with this post 12-10-2014 at 11:45 PM
G54B is offline   Reply With Quote