ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
roadracer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Rough guide for Boston -> Deal's Gap?

Hello,
I'm riding down to NC/TN and back next week and I'm hoping someone can illuminate an approximate non-slab route for me. I'm on no particular timetable, except I have to be back in 7-9 days. I'm really just trying to give my new bike and gear a work out before I go x-country and back in july. Anyhow, if anyone knows some interesting roads I should see along the way, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
get over to WV and run 219 or 220 or 28 or 20

which part of TN are you going to?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
RBikerT
Ride the Weird

Oddometer: 221
Roads

You might want to wander by the Georgia Mountain Rally in Hiawassee Georgia next weekend. From there you could hook up with others to get to some of the better roads.

If you've got a GPS send me a PM and I'll send you a .gdb file with some roads in the area.

Roads to look for:

211 from Sperryville, VA to New Market, VA (or just to the top of the mountain where you can pick up Skyline Drive).

Skyline Drive is a nice road, but somewhat repetitive, and leads directly into the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you haven't done it before it's worth doing. By the way, there's a great Hostel I stay at near Galax, VA (on the southern VA border) that's right on the Blue Ridge Parkway (you need to call first or you will never find it, Blue Ridge Hostel).

Look for Rt. 151 near the southern end of the BRP. It's only two miles, but really fun.

Cherohalo Skyway (Rt.143 to 165)
Deal Gap (Highway 28) It's a blast, but ride within your skills or it will get you.
US 441
Smokey Mountains Highway
Little River Rd. off 321 is fun but narrow and has some local traffic.
US 129 Wolfpen Gap Rd. from Blairsville to Turners Corner

Just a partial list.

Also check out Motorcycleroads.com and Motorcycleroads.us
Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
RedWarrior
dumbfounded dipshit

Oddometer: 59
rr,

I've ridden down a few times from western mass. I slabbed it across 84 to scranton where I picked up 81 which brought me into VA where I took skyline dr. to the brp. I'd take these roads again for sure. The variety of scenery/terrain on the parkway is amazing.

I've also iron butted it literally from the top of the gap to my house 1067 miles in 17 hours.

I'd recommend the former, it's a bit more enjoyable.

Red

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Ben Franklin

Rescind the (un) Patriot Act!

RedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #5
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,136
Even better, head east as quick as you can through the adirondacks and head southeast toward the corning/Sayre area. Head south through PA on any road between US 220 adn US 15 (220 isn't bad either) then keep on 220, or any similar road toward West By God VA and then off you go, nothing but good roads from there. BRP is OK, back into VA on the west side of 81 there are great roads as well, VA 42, 311, 16 and all the back roads down in to NC. Whatever you do, don't get on NC 209, if you do, you will not be all that impressed with Deals Gap

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote