User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
fireguard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
RT to GSA

I love my 95 GS and have enjoyed 174k mi on her. Added an 07 RT to the stable about 6 mo ago and love this bike as well. However, too often I seem to take the GS and many times on the RT, I'm wishing for the GS due to wanting to go exploring.
I've been admiring the new GSA for several years and think the time to get one is fast approaching.
I'm looking at a new 2011 with everything except for ESA, which I don't want. Price is $20,190 and their giving $1000 worth of accessories. I also get $400 rebate for public service employee. They will give $9500 approx for the RT. not too bad as I paid $10,700 plus I can sell my Remus full exhaust system as they want it stock.
I don't think I can have them take $1k off the price rather than the accessories. The 3 hard bags are around $1800, but I could get Givi mounts for around $300 and I already have several bags.
What are your opinions on the adv bags? How far do they stick out and is it easy to split lanes?
The top seems like it could be wider. I can put 2 helmets in my RT top case, are any of the adv bags able to hold a helmet?
I do prefer top loading as its awkward to use the side opening.
I think I'll offer my bike for $9500 and have them include all 3 bags and mounts. So I'm paying$19,800 for a loaded GSA (w/o ESA) with all three bags. He said would work with me on price as it is a year old model.
How much discount should one assume for a year older model? They have a few 2012s
I don't want a 2013 liquid cooled GS.
Thanks.
Anyone traded RT for GSA and regretted it?
fireguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Have a look here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40203

and a lot more reading here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255886
Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I went from a GSA to an RT and regret it. I totalled the GSA and when I went to replace it, I decided that since I never go off road, the RT made more sense. I also thought the style of the RT might help remind me that I am not a racer and to slow the hell down.

So what is wrong with the RT that the GSA does better? The first thing is the luggage. I commute and must carry a laptop case. I miss the top loading side bags for this. Yes, the top box on the RT holds it but the side box was just easier and kept the weight lower on the bike.

The next thing is the handling. I just swear that the RT can't take a corner with the confidence the GSA could. In that regard, I guess the RT does force a slower and more sane pace but there are times when I want the street cornering prowess of that GSA.

The last thing is almost crazy. The GSA just had personality. Its a weird bike. To the uninitiated, it looks like a Max Max bike. I enjoyed the WTF looks that came with the bike. I liked knowing I could take off across the median if I wanted to even if I never did. The GSA just had character.

Its not the the RT is a bad bike. It actually does everything I need quite well. It just isn't as fun as the GSA. If I could afford to trade, I would.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,435
Bags don't really stick out any wider than the bars,so you are safe to split as long as you know the bars will go thru.

The BMW bags are not bad,but there are plenty of bag options at or under that $1800,you might want to look around at bag threads here.
I like the Micatech system
Jesse Luggage and Happy Trails Panniers make bags that will fit the stock GS Adv sideracks.
All have bigger topboxes that will hold two helmets plus.

Look in the vendor section here,there may be ADVRider discounts or deals for some of these luggage suppliers.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 08:17 PM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
But for sheer will power do I not have one of each.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguard View Post
Anyone traded RT for GSA and regretted it?
NO

I traded an '08 RT for an '11 GSA and love it and will not look back, I have a buddy with an RT that may want to trade bikes for a bit of a ride so he can get a feel for it but I may make him buy lunch or something for the priveledge.

The GSA is more roomy if you are a big guy, near equal wind protection and rides 110% better and is capable of heading down a dirt road with ease. Much more universal for riding and touring, tractor like power, carry lots of stuff (if necessary) with ease and is an easy and fun to ride.

A buddy with a Gold Wing 1800 first comment is that is an easy bike to ride. I should have made him buy me lunch cuz I had to ride his hippopotomus in running shoes about 10 miles.

I bought mine without bags or anything and got a full set of Jesse's for the same as BMW boxes. Then you can set it up and make it fit you the way you want and not how they sell it to you.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
The GSA is more roomy if you are a big guy, near equal wind protection and rides 110% better and is capable of heading down a dirt road with ease. Much more universal for riding and touring, tractor like power, carry lots of stuff (if necessary) with ease and is an easy and fun to ride.
Ok, so I've been curious about this for awhile. I have an '07 GS that I've put an AeroFlow and ADV winglets on and that has really helped with the wind blast. Probably sufficient. But does the GSA have, what y'all would consider, "near equal wind protection" to the RT? Always keeping these tidbits in the back of my mind for the next bike.
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridestrong View Post
Ok, so I've been curious about this for awhile. I have an '07 GS that I've put an AeroFlow and ADV winglets on and that has really helped with the wind blast. Probably sufficient. But does the GSA have, what y'all would consider, "near equal wind protection" to the RT? Always keeping these tidbits in the back of my mind for the next bike.
Yes. The GSA does have "nearly the wind protection" of the RT. In some respects, its actually a little better as the wide fuel tank acts as a fairing and does a great job of deflecting wind around your legs. The stock wind screen will not go as high as the highest position on the RT but when tipped forward all the way, it really is pretty good. Tipped back and you get better air flow than the RT. The GSA hand guards accomplish the same thing as the mirrors on the RT.

Speaking of mirrors... that's another advantage of the GSA. The RT mirrors suck, especially if you put the top box on or worse yet, have a pillion.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Yes. The GSA does have "nearly the wind protection" of the RT. In some respects, its actually a little better as the wide fuel tank acts as a fairing and does a great job of deflecting wind around your legs. The stock wind screen will not go as high as the highest position on the RT but when tipped forward all the way, it really is pretty good. Tipped back and you get better air flow than the RT. The GSA hand guards accomplish the same thing as the mirrors on the RT.

Speaking of mirrors... that's another advantage of the GSA. The RT mirrors suck, especially if you put the top box on or worse yet, have a pillion.
+1
Plus I added the V-Stream 2418 (I hated the stock GSA screen) and just got a standard GS height Sargeant saddle to lower the torso an inch/drop me down in the saddle. It's all good
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridestrong View Post
I never had a RT, but other bikers who stop riding in the cold can't believe I still ride to work when the weather was in the 30's. I honestly never felt cold because the big GSA tank and winglets block it all. I do see it's going to be a problem, though in the summer when it hits 120 degrees and theres no air movement. I joke about being able to lit a cigarette while riding and I bet you could going 35-40mph.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
I never had a RT, but other bikers who stop riding in the cold can't believe I still ride to work when the weather was in the 30's. I honestly never felt cold because the big GSA tank and winglets block it all. I do see it's going to be a problem, though in the summer when it hits 120 degrees and theres no air movement. I joke about being able to lit a cigarette while riding and I bet you could going 35-40mph.
This is the 1200 and not the 1150 right? I get plenty of wind on my 1150 GSA...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
This is the 1200 and not the 1150 right? I get plenty of wind on my 1150 GSA...
Yes, 2011 R1200 GSA.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
fireguard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks for all the replies.
They sold the new 11 GSA so that deal is off. I think I will wait and sell my RT first rather than trade.
Local dealer seems like they will deal more than I though. About $2k off new GSA.
I'll keep putting the miles on th 95 GS until I find my ADV.
fireguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguard View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
They sold the new 11 GSA so that deal is off. I think I will wait and sell my RT first rather than trade.
Local dealer seems like they will deal more than I though. About $2k off new GSA.
I'll keep putting the miles on th 95 GS until I find my ADV.
sounds like a plan, you will come out ahead. I went from a 96 R1100gs to an 08 r1200 gsa, bought it in february 09, they knocked off $1k. if you can get $2k off and the options are what you want, great!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I went from a 07 GS to a 08 RT and now 09 GSA. I only had the RT for about 6 months and did only one road trip. I missed the long travel suspension of the GS and the GS-GSA are more nimble in the corners. The RT reminded of my Goldwing I had a few years back but Im most confortable on the GSA now. Although I confess the RT is more nicer to look at.....
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote