Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #241
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,173
Bob and I flew back today from Los Cabos to Phoenix today. John Jr. and Sr. are driving the Suburban back to AZ, Alan and his dad Gary are on the road in their way to San Jose.

Thank you so much Gary, Shela, Paul and Steve for all your help!

Rick
CrashDBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #242
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
John, it was great talking to you and your dad at the finish and awards ceremony. Congratulations to both of you. What a great father and son race effort. Hope to see you guys at the finish next year.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #243
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
What an expereience! Thanks for letting me be a part of it. I even made a new friend!

Can you guys see Russia from there?

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #244
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Team Lameco; it was good to meet you guys, really glad we were able to share a cold cerveza after the heat of battle! You set the bar high and made us work that much harder, well done on a bike barely completed in time for the race!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #245
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Team Lameco; it was good to meet you guys, really glad we were able to share a cold cerveza after the heat of battle! You set the bar high and made us work that much harder, well done on a bike barely completed in time for the race!
Congratulations to all of OSR for a race well prepped and executed!
CrashDBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #246
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Made it home

Finally made it home. Many pictures to post. Wow! Where to start. Crashed Bad & Pdfskipper meet Sarah Palin, Robby Gordon comes over, sits on our bike & shoots the breeeze, end of 1st stage Malcolm S. comes over & tells us how well we're doing, we might be in a new Baja movie, "The Baja Social club", etc. etc. Despite all our problems, we finish. The Blue Rhino makes it all the way to Cabo & back. More to come.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #247
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
Finally made it home. Many pictures to post. Wow! Where to start. Crashed Bad & Pdfskipper meet Sarah Palin, Robby Gordon comes over, sits on our bike & shoots the breeeze, end of 1st stage Malcolm S. comes over & tells us how well we're doing, we might be in a new Baja movie, "The Baja Social club", etc. etc. Despite all our problems, we finish. The Blue Rhino makes it all the way to Cabo & back. More to come.
Glad you all made it home safe...still waiting for some of our team to make the trek back

To echo Rick's remarks, you guys put an amazing bike together is a really short time!! Not to mention that John also turned that Suburban into a now-proven Baja chase truck, while also working on the SL! Kudos to your whole team for a job well done!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #248
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136
Thanks for the kind words Paul. It was great meeting you guys. I had an awesome time.

I am still a little groggy from the drive up in the sub with no sway bar, thing is terrifying on those narrow mexican roads. It definitely likes dirt roads more than the pavement.

Hopefully everyone will post up some of their pics soon.

So many stories need time to sort them out.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #249
pass12me
honda350

Oddometer: 13
Good Job John

Here is a link with all Johns times
http://norra.com/results_2012.php?page=overall

I'm glad John did better than me ,I made a attempt to ride the 2004 ISDE in Poland which ended on the 1st day when I crashed out and hurt my shoulder
pass12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #250
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Well I am finally getting back to normal, well normal for me anyway.

I figured I would post up some pics and a little narrative.

On the way home we stopped by to see Coco. Showed him the trophy and he said' "you ride all that way, spend all that money and all you got was that pinche chingala, esta loco" or something to that effect.

So now I will go back to the start. We arrived in Mexicali on Friday. Host hotel was jumping with all kinds of things. We got checked in and did some last minute prep on the bike. Allan's fiance did us the honor of stenciling honzilla on the seat for us.

The end result.

Shela also helped get the road book set up for us too.

We had a few margaritas and met some cool people. Someone told me this guy was famous or something. Notice the hat....

I ended up talking to the Joe Hauler inventor for awhile, great guy. Introduced myself to cvestal, another great guy. The Texas guys were a hoot too. I don't think that I met one person in this race that was not cool( not counting the local that pointed me down the wrong road on day 4). Even the outta site guys were cool. Here is a pic of one of my roomates for the first night.

We overfilled the damn gas tank the next night and had to park her outside the day before the race. Some joker pulled the right plug wire off that night causing me a little early morning anxiety the day of the race. I got her all figured out and suited up and headed out to the bullring at 0dark thirty. My bike was almost as loud as the snortin nortin car. I don't think the folks from the wedding the night before were very happy about the early morning wake up call.

Well here is where I would post up the pic I was planning on but it seems that it did not make it to smugmug I will edit this tomorrow and add some pics.

Here are a few that did make it and some of Allan's.

Thia one is from tech but thought it was cool.

Another from tech, this girls boyfriend is building a vintage bike to race too, they drove down from Tecate to see the race.

So anyway we head out to the lakebed for the start. We had planned on having the chase truck fuel me at the start of the stage. That didn't happen glad we had the big tank. So I get the 3 2 1 go and I head out. I get to the first turn look down to check the roadbook and realize that I forgot to reset the odometer. I tried fixing it but turns out that is hard to do when you are riding in sand. I follow the tracks till I spy a guy on a hill waving at me. I head up the hill thinking I might see something up there any way, get to the top and see the lakebed and the dust. I hit the lake bed and open her up. I try matching the roadbook up to the odometer with no luck. I try to zoom out the gps and lose the map screen... Here is where I wish I had played with the gps a little more. I follow the tracks and am thinking I don't see anyone I somehow screwed up and I have blown it. I finally get the map back up on the gps and decide to speed up a little. I still don't see anyone, after a little bit I see two bikes stopped up in the distance. I pull up and it is Andy Grider and Alex Smith. I ask if they are ok they say yeah and I keep going. I really start pushing the bike now thinking any minute I will at least catch some dust. I never saw another bike till I got to the finish. Got a big thumbs up from LC garage ( another great guy).

Sorry if this is a little scattered It was all a little crazy and I am still remembering little things here and there. Kinda like a car wreck.

I will post up some more tomorrow. Hopefully some of my teamates will post up some stuff.

-John

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #251
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,582
Great stuff dude. Keep it coming.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #252
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Nice to see you are starting to post about your time at the M1K. I have a handful of pics of Team LAMEco I'll post once I get through them. It's taking a while to sort through everything and Outta Sight Racing comes first.

It was nice meeting all of you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #253
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Here you are at the start

and at the first check point

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #254
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Nice shots Al. I always seem to slow down when I see people beside the course.

-John

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #255
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Thought I would add another photo.