Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #46
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,149
Not much to report today. Finished skid plate mount and tore bike down for paint.

Spent a couple of hours chasing down hoses and fittings for oil cooler. Had to weld on some fittings to the oil cooler because I could not find the banjo fittings I wanted. I had some help with the welding on the oil cooler, my friend Danny is a much better welder than I am, so the cooler turned out well. I will post up some pics once I get it together and working.

Looks like we might have some hats for sale if anyone is interested. Should have some pics of them next day or so.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #47
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
Those are left over from my order to MotoCapelinni. I couldn't use them on my roadracer with the Jemco pipe. Look on their website to check them out.
Thanks for the heads up on motocappelinni, went to their website today and there are lots of cool bits for the old twins. If I just had an extra 20K I could build my dream bike; a 250 lb, 50 hp nickle framed SL350 motocross bike, then we'd show those AHRMA guys a thing or two! Looking forward to visiting with you when we get to Mexico.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #48
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
Not much to report today. Finished skid plate mount and tore bike down for paint.

Spent a couple of hours chasing down hoses and fittings for oil cooler. Had to weld on some fittings to the oil cooler because I could not find the banjo fittings I wanted. I had some help with the welding on the oil cooler, my friend Danny is a much better welder than I am, so the cooler turned out well. I will post up some pics once I get it together and working.

Looks like we might have some hats for sale if anyone is interested. Should have some pics of them next day or so.

-John
Sitting here 800 miles from the bike I have been doing the only thing I can which is riding as much as possible. I got the chance to ride a friend of a friend's excellent private track yesterday for about 4 hours and it was fantastic. We got a bit of rain on Saturday and the track was freshly groomed hero dirt. It felt good to sit in the saddle even if it wasn't Baja goodness. I have also been doing an hour of cardio every day just to get my lungs in shape.

Oh and John sent me a spy shot of the bike with the newly reconstructed seat before he tore it back down for paint...... looks pretty retro rad (but not pretty yet) to me.... Can't wait to see this vintage machine come together, it really will be a sight once she is completed.

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #49
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:

-John

Check your pm's
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #50
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
Sitting here 800 miles from the bike I have been doing the only thing I can which is riding as much as possible. I got the chance to ride a friend of a friend's excellent private track yesterday for about 4 hours and it was fantastic. We got a bit of rain on Saturday and the track was freshly groomed hero dirt. It felt good to sit in the saddle even if it wasn't Baja goodness. I have also been doing an hour of cardio every day just to get my lungs in shape.

Oh and John sent me a spy shot of the bike with the newly reconstructed seat before he tore it back down for paint...... looks pretty retro rad (but not pretty yet) to me.... Can't wait to see this vintage machine come together, it really will be a sight once she is completed.

Wow! That's one tall Mamba Jamba!! Sweet.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #51
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post

Right on guys! Keepin up to date when i hit wifi here and there. So many sweet bikes in spain that my drool factor is up but definitely missing my steads. Good luck with the tear down and paint john. Cant wait to see her. Sweet exhaust and skid plate fabs.

-matt
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #52
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Hey Matt.

Talked to Owen today, the guy helping me with the bike, and he said the bike should be together and running next week. I will be able to get some pics of it then.

i have been working on our chase rig as well

This is what I started with, pics when I get it out of the garage.

-John

Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #53
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Made some progress on the chase rig.

Will have some pics of bike next week.

-John

Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #54
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:

-John
Hell ya John. Does she have a cng tank?
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #55
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:

-John
Now if you could get that fifth wheel in the background hooked up to that bad boy, we could really do it up right and proper!!!

Maybe a mobile concession stand or T-bar

Nice job!!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #56
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
The 'Burban looks great!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #57
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
Baja Legends

Got back Sunday night from Tulare, Ca where they had to cancel the AVDRA national mx race because of rain & flooding. Kind of a bummer to drive 600 miles one way for nothing. One thing though that was kind of cool. Gene Fetty & Bill Silverthorn showed up & we got to meet & talk to them. Gene & Bill won the 1970 Baja 500 on a Husky & then won it again in 1972 on a Honda XL250. Bill said they blew up a lot of engines before they got it right. He said they wound up with a 340. Only way I know to do that is to use an 80 mm piston with a stroker crank. I asked Gene if they were pretty beat up after the race from those short travel bikes. He said when you win, you don't feel a thing. Great guys. At Tulare,their bikes were Huskies that looked like they had come out of a museum. One had a titanium frame. They were outlawed in the '70s but just as well since they were brittle & would crack & break. These guys are in their early 70's & race 50+ expert class. Told them about John Jr.'s bike & upcoming race. They didn't say much. Probably figured he was crazy!!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #58
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
Gene Fetty & Bill Silverthorn showed up & we got to meet & talk to them. Gene & Bill won the 1970 Baja 500 on a Husky & then won it again in 1972 on a Honda XL250.....I asked Gene if they were pretty beat up after the race from those short travel bikes. He said when you win, you don't feel a thing.
We had the great privilege of meeting them both last summer at the AHRMA Classic at the farm in Chehalis. I was running the SL350 in the trials competition and they did think we were crazy! But they still signed the gas tank....

Then Gene went to his truck to show us the some photos of that XL250 that they ran in Baja..

Trick Lights!!

Great guys indeed!!

Now about that Suburban...that is one sweet chase vehicle!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #59
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,695
Hey OC what are you doing admiring their chase vehicle, you have TWO sweet chase vehichles following your bike. OK maybe they aren't as cool but we make up for it with personality. Now get back to your own thread and give us an up date on the D100.

Hey, LAMEco Racing how's your bike coming along? Isn't it time for some more of those spy camera pictures?
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #60
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Laced up an excell rim up front and an xl 250 aluminum rim on the rear. Chain and sprockets showed up yesterday. Should have chain stuff sorted soon and hope to have it running by end of week.

-John