Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #61
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Where is that?

Used to be Road Atlanta's signature section. Now it's Turn 10A/B at the end of the back straight.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #62
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,149
Quote:
Where is that?
It used to be at the end of Road Atlanta's back straight. Now the left-right chicane thing.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #63
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
Thanks Tim. I never knew the supercars raced Road Atlanta.

I should go down there and see that place for myself. I'd like to see a 'Gravity Cavity'...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #64
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,995
Quote:
Thanks Tim. I never knew the supercars raced Road Atlanta.

I should go down there and see that place for myself. I'd like to see a 'Gravity Cavity'...
There is no longer a "Gravity Cavity" it is now a chicane. If you scroll down on this site it shows the new and old track map http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...adAtlanta.html
Old 03-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #65
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
i have actually been lucky enuf to see some great racing,trans-ama at livermore and sears point,as well as the thrill of watching top-fuel
there really is nothing like top-fuel and funny cars, you can't explain it untill you have seen and felt it !!!
also i have seen mamola and roberts and crew doing shifter wheelie races at laguna
freddie spencers nr500 oval pistoned gp bike had an unforgetable sound !!!
seeing lawson win at laguna in 88,watcing kocinski win on the cagiva
shaking bubba shoberts hand a few minutes after he won the sacremento mile was a thrill
world of outlaws at silver dollar speedway in chico is a big ass grin
myself geting a top ten finish,overall, at the rattlesnake ama national enduro,klamath ca,redwood scramblers, was pretty cool

xtop20A screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 04:57 PM
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #66
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A View Post
i have actually been lucky enuf to see some great racing,trans-ama at livermore and sears point,as well as the thrill of watching top-fuel
there really is nothing like top-fuel and funny cars, you can't explain it untill you have seen and felt it !!!
also i have seen mamola and roberts and crew doing shifter wheelie races at laguna
freddie spencers nr500 oval pistoned gp bike had an unforgetable sound !!!
seeing lawson win at laguna in 88,watcing kocinski win on the cagiva
shaking bubba shoberts hand a few minutes after he won the sacremento mile was a thrill
world of outlaws at silver dollar speedway in chico is a big ass grin
myself geting a top ten finish,overall, at the rattlesnake ama national enduro,klamath ca,redwood scramblers, was pretty cool
Gee; you brought up some more fan memories. I grew up just down the road from Fremont Drag Strip. I did Friday night grudge racing quite a bit. But like you said, it's quite an experience to see the Top Fuelers and Funny Cars of the day. Garlits, Prudhomme, Hemi-Under-Glass etc. But my favorite was Art Arfons with his jet powered contraption. I think it was called the Green Monster, but maybe I'm getting that mixed up with Fenway Park here in town...

Anyways, when Art powered it up like a fighter jet getting ready to launch, the sound was incredible! People scattered from behind the fence at the rear of the strip, and then the fence burst into flames as he let her roll. It was spectacular!!!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #67
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
Dirt track at Pomona with with my step-dad and about 15 other family and friends.

Maybe 92 or 93?? Don't remember who won, just all of us there having a great time.

Or the last Outlaws race at Ascot with the same group.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #68
Makr
I make my own rules

Oddometer: 33
1992 Roberto Guerrero takes the pole with a Buick v-6 with parts I had built for it. I showed up at the airport and treated like a prince. Got to meet Smokey Yunick that weekend (personal hero). Epic weekend.
Makr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #69
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,188
Another great memory I have is watching the Can-Am cars racing at Mosport, many years ago. The visuals were memorable, but the sounds were unforgettable.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #70
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 873
Attending my first Moto GP race in '05 at Laguna Seca, and getting the opportunity to thank Wayne Rainey for being such an integral part of that race happening.

Also watching RC lap the field at Millville in nasty conditions, one of the greatest displays of riding talent I've ever seen.
SGrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #71
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
I'm guessing that we all have seen numerous pro races in person; what moment do you recall? Might've been in the pits, too!

Dirt track, motocross, road racing, etc.
I saw Doug Domokos wheelie the entire track at Unadilla including the screw you downhill which is basically a steep downhill with a U turn at the bottom and right back up it and I mean steep. and we were right there. lets see todays stunt riders do that.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #72
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I saw Doug Domokos wheelie the entire track at Unadilla including the screw you downhill which is basically a steep downhill with a U turn at the bottom and right back up it and I mean steep. and we were right there. lets see todays stunt riders do that.
I was there too!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #73
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,955
Me and a few friends drinkin a YUENGLING with BOB HANNA after a race at UNIDILLA!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #74
rep
Badass Vegan Capitalist

Oddometer: 156
Here's how some dude at Pelican Parts tells it:

A Riverside story. The 1980 Can-Am (the single seat version). On the first lap of the race Keke Rosberg pulled even with pole sitter Geoff Brabham cresting the hill into 7A. Geoffy turned in trying to take the line and Keke soundly punted him into the dirt on drivers right. This let Al Holbert through to the lead but Keke took off after having the right front bodywork torn up on his car. As the race went on the bodywork on Rosberg's car started breaking up and eventually almost the entire right side came off in pieces. But he was a man on a mission and would not give up. Now these were full ground effect cars with sliding skirts and sprung like a bus bench. So here's Rosberg hammering this car, half the bodywork gone, some downforce on the left, none on the right. It had to be like flying a plane with half of one wing missing. I was standing at the flag station on the inside of 7B and he would come through there in the most lurid power slides onto the back straight. It was absolutely, bloody marvelous. As hard as he fought he slipped from second to third and then to fourth. On the cool down lap we stood at the edge of the track applauding the drivers as they idled by. As Rosberg came around we all started jumping up and down, clapping, waving, trying to show appreciation for what had to be a herculean effort. Rosberg spotted us and his head cocked a little to one side, kind of a "huh, what?" gesture. Then, simultaneously, his right hand came up in a wave and he mashed the throttle and threw the car sideways, then held the slide for a good 50 yards onto the back straight. It was bloody marvelous and I was a confirmed Rosberg fan from then on. The single seat Can-Am doesn't get much respect but those cars were damn fast! Brabhams pole time in 1980 was only 8/10s of a second slower than Donohue was in the 917 in '73.

I saw the same power slide all the way around turn 6 from the grandstand.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #75
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
Kent Howerton
I heard he is not well.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote