ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #1516
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Humph, I was thinking about a north Africa / Med tour... from Alexander to Casablanca.
know where Casablanca is - where is Alexander?
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #1517
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,656
proly meant Alexandria.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #1518
lakota
Geeser

proly. but since it does not look like a safe ride across the countries of North Africa given the current political situation maybe he knows another route.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #1519
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,657
Outside the US travel

C'mon, do I really want to grow old and die of cancer....I think not! Better to die doing what I love.....
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #1520
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
proly. but since it does not look like a safe ride across the countries of North Africa given the current political situation maybe he knows another route.

Agreed. I wouldn't go there, just not that adventurous. There are plenty of bucket list rides here in NA for me.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #1521
lakota
Geeser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
C'mon, do I really want to grow old and die of cancer....I think not! Better to die doing what I love.....
i am not opposed to out of US travel - been doing it my whole life. was dogging an inmate for not knowing city names (or was learning about a place I had never heard of)
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #1522
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Mexico depends. On one hand, if you stay out of the most contested areas you should be ok. On the other hand, almost every vet I talk with would rather get redeployed to Iraquistan than go to the southern border, Mexico side.

If it helps, I've heard much worse things about the Tohono O'odham Reservation that sits on the AZ / MX border...

Perhaps you can get a sidearm across the border in a market somewhere. Or an M203

(For the record, I'd go if I had time and prepatory funds)
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1523
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Intro-

I've been lurking for a while now, thought I jump up and say "Hi".

I'm Scott, live and work in Annapolis. Been riding a wee-strom for a few months now. Most of my riding is commuting, with some fun rides thrown in. Been enjoying the MD photo tag, but time/distance doesn't always work out...

Hope to meet up with y'all on some rides.

+1 for the Trail rating system. Dunkie Hollow looked fun, but this pic made me nervous, I need more flat land practice first

Quote:
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #1524
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,946
Welcome Scott. We do some rides that are more Off road Beginner friendly from time to time. Just chime in when you have time to ride.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #1525
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,088
Dunkle Hollow = beginner ride. So I've been told. I blame Blooch, Blaster, Dorito and Headshrinker (or JJ or whatever the hell his name is). The good news is that after riding this particular stretch of road, your strom will shed a few pounds. And lord only knows that these big adventure bikes need to shed weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeltwo View Post

I'm Scott, live and work in Annapolis. Been riding a wee-strom for a few months now. Most of my riding is commuting, with some fun rides thrown in. Been enjoying the MD photo tag, but time/distance doesn't always work out...

+1 for the Trail rating system. Dunkie Hollow looked fun, but this pic made me nervous, I need more flat land practice first
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1526
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 233
Quote:

Once you spend 30 minuets dragging your bike on it's side out of a ditch because your D-606 can't get enough traction in the mud to remove itself, it doesn't look so bad.

Speaking of, I have a kitchen pass for an overnight trip either 22nd-23rd or 29th-30th. Anyone interested in a long range weekend excursion? I'm still trying to formulate where I want to go (and am open to suggestions). Suggestions would preferably not include the self torture indicated above...
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #1527
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Great day riding!

So we rode Stone camp today, this was the road that got Dana's oil pan earlier this year, it rode well! The DR200 is working really well for Dana as she is attacking water crossings and other obstacles. It's amazing how the game changes when the bike fits. Leaving early tomorrow for a full day of riding.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #1528
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,054
Quote:
This just in

-----
Sent from the CNN App for iPad
-----

Hey, check this out from CNN: An American who had been imprisoned for nearly two years in Nicaragua left the country Friday, a day after he was set free, and was en route to a reunion with his family, a spokesman for his family told CNN.

Before doing missions... We would get 5 to 10 photos of K&R victims that were secondary objectives. Call me if you get into trouble bro - I'll try to get you some news coverage on CNN
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1529
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Another great day riding!!

Left Kevin's about 0830 an rode some great roads.... When we finished we had done about 150 miles. Dana is really enjoying the DR 200...perfect size and weight.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #1530
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:

Welcome! Dunkle Hollow is not a bad trail, just not a beginner trail. Going down is easier as well because of the one rutted corner and lack of sight of it uphill. A lot of the trails out there are rocky so they don't turn to muck in the rain but you need to pick your line or risk bottoming out. Some of the water crossings have given people grief but that is usually on the entrance and exits.

More trail rating system stuff coming.

Dana and I first thing Friday decided to go ride the tougher stuff which has given us a few problems in the past. With the smaller bikes it was WAY easier and WAY more fun, only one drop all weekend and that was due to a loss of momentum in a heavy rock area...no damage to bike or person. At the end of both days Dana had a huge smile on her face, the DR200 made the riding so much more relaxing and enjoyable for her. I guess I did have a little damage but that was due to the end cap, spark arrestor, and quiet core insert blowing out of my muffler somewhere along the road. I didn't like that FMF pipe anyway...way too loud!

Thanks Kevin (H14) and Rhonda (Campcook) for having the get together and inviting us out...we had a great time and talked to some really nice people!!!!!!!!

blaster11 screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 02:48 PM
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote