ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #196
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
I have two. Love um and always keep them out in the elements (with touratech case) here are some places
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #197
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Gps

I had my Garmin 660 swiped last fall, they broke the mount and pulled it out at a truck stop gas station. I have been reluctant to get a new one and have been using a modified setup running my cell phone/GPS. I was looking at the NUVI (expendable) but would like a dual purpose, one that does roads and topographical but not with a crap load of stupid stuff.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 11:47 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #198
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
I have two. Love um and always keep them out in the elements (with touratech case)
I also have one of the Nuvi 500 series. I think it is great for general navigation and touring -- i.e. going from point A to point B. The screen is durable and easy to use with gloves. I have used it multiple times in pouring rain. Many of them come with basic topo maps already installed, and with City Navigator North America.

However, I don't think it is great for what Dave might be looking for in offroad navigation. For one, and I am not 100% positive about this, but I don't think you can put tracks (not to be confused with routes) into the Nuvi 500 series. It has a "track back" feature which will take you out of somewhere the way you came, but it won't navigate tracks that have been given to you or that you have prepared in advance.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #199
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
However, I don't think it is great for what Dave might be looking for in offroad navigation.

Eric
Eric is so politically correct. what he is really saying is that Lance is a dirt poser
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #200
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
I have two. Love um and always keep them in a zip lock baggie in my tank bag
fixed
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #201
REAPER_ONE
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
fixed
Bad form Marty

This was my setup with Katie...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #202
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Quote:
Eric is so politically correct. what he is really saying is that Lance is a dirt poser
Not really, but now that you mention it....

Seriously, I bought mine before I even knew what tracks were, and I still use mine 90% of the time that I ride. I suspect that Dave only wants to own one GPS, and that GPS probably needs to be able to handle Tracks well.

Dave, feel free to make me an offer on my 60csx and locking Touratech mount. I'm done with it once I hardwire the Montana mount to my F800.

Eric

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. - Unknown
Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #203
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
...but it won't navigate tracks that have been given to you or that you have prepared in advance.

Eric
yes it will, also will allow download of your track. the problem is just limited capacity.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #204
REAPER_ONE
Done

GPS setup for Chasey while she was sleeping in Labrador.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #205
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
yes it will, also will allow download of your track. the problem is just limited capacity.
You say the GPS will allow you upload Tracks from outside sources and then follow them. Sweet! Could you explain how it is done as I would love to use this feature? Have you actually done it?

I do know how to download the track log from the device, but neither the instruction manual nor the menu system within the GPS mentions tracks anywhere other than (1) the "TracBack" feature, and (2) the ability to clear the Trip Log.

Thanks.

Eric

RFlagg42 screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 04:14 PM
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #206
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
New egg has nuvi550 $258.99
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #207
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
Have you actually done it?
i don't own one, but i sent routes/waypoints i use on my 60csx to one of the guys on the rides, and he uploaded to his 500. he didn't mention any problem, and it displays on the screen the same as the 60csx. i assume he used the USB cable, then the Transfer menu. transfer the same for routes you create in mapsource/basecamp, and he does this routinely also.

if i remember the spec correctly, the 500/550 have only about half the route/track/waypoint capacity of the 60csx, still OK for many uses.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #208
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,527
Eric...you assumptions are spot on

Might have to take you up on that offer....thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #209
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,347
Tonights lesson: Wheelies

This from the Shane Watts class we took last year. He taught us several very important things about wheelies; 1. cover your rear brake because that is the only thing which will save you. 2. Start small and work your way up. 3. Practice 4. Balance point...learn where it is and the only way to find it is to slowly build the size of the wheelie and remember to cover the rear brake. I am no expert but I took the video so I figured I could share....enjoy!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #210
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i don't own one, but i sent routes/waypoints i use on my 60csx to one of the guys on the rides, and he uploaded to his 500. he didn't mention any problem, and it displays on the screen the same as the 60csx. i assume he used the USB cable, then the Transfer menu. transfer the same for routes you create in mapsource/basecamp, and he does this routinely also.

if i remember the spec correctly, the 500/550 have only about half the route/track/waypoint capacity of the 60csx, still OK for many uses.
Thanks, but "tracks" and "routes" are not interchangeable words when having this discussion. I agree that routes and waypoints transfer fine to the Nuvi 500 series. I also agree that the Nuvi 500 can hold half the waypoints that the 60csx can.

While it appears that Tracks physically transfer to the 500 using a USB cable (I can see them on the GPS from my computer), there doesn't appear to be a menu feature anywhere on the device which initiates the following/navigating of a track, other than the TracBack feature which only follows the last Trip Log.

I am still hoping that I'm wrong....