ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #4081
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
House Keeping

Added the following to the calendar on post #2.

--March 10 Chessie Beach 1% Ride
--March 23-24 Corner Spin
--March 23 Meet, Greet, Ride and Eat!
--April 20 Tuscarora State Forest MSF DirtBike School

Also on the calendar, I've notice is displays correctly when using Style Chooser=ADV 2.0, and poorly when using "Crash". Or just use the direct link.

PS If there are other events of interest to the group, please let me know and I will drop them on there.

Dorito screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:46 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #4082
Terp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post

PS If there are other events of interest to the group, please let me know and I will drop them on there.
I believe EB is hosting a big 'trail ride' in April?!? I'm trying to be 'long-loop qualified' by then.
Terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #4083
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

28 April and added flyer to calendar!

http://watr.us/docs/2013_WATR_STR_Flyer.pdf
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #4084
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

So, I've amended the top part of the loop since we apparently don't have an appointment! Here's the track for tomorrow.

Click Download, Save File

Ugh. not sure why google drive isn't sharing it? PM me if you need the file. Off to ride!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #4085
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Garmin

Anybody done any Garmin shopping? Best prices?
motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #4086
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomandan View Post
I have always bought my Garmin from pc nation but compare prices on bestbuys.com Not affiliated with best buy.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #4087
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Looking for zumo 350lm?
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #4088
blaster11
Living the dream!

Oddometer: 6,295
Eagle Bay ride

Well first off we forgot the cameras so no pictures. But besides that it was a great day to be in the woods riding! It only had a few slick spots but they started drying out and the trails were getting better by the minute. The change to running the loop in reverse was a bit interesting at first but we were all getting used to it after a half dozen laps. The one small narrow bridge over the ravine is a bit tricky withe the couple mud holes just before it. I finally decided it was best to just go around and through the ditch than to go off the edge. The tougher section of the short loop is interesting to ride in reverse, there is one turn on the up hill which really sucks your speed out but it rode OK otherwise. I was running tire pressures at about 14 lbs which seemed decent for today's conditions. The nice thing was that I tweaked a bit on the compression setting on the forks and actually made things better and far more compliant to the trail today, backed out 8 clicks additional. I did that in two different stops so not all at once. I am pretty sure there is a lot more to be had I just need to take my time and be very systematic the changes. My speeds were coming up as the suspension got better so I am kind of excited about getting back and working it a bit more.

Lance good to see you today and enjoy your trip! J4S...thanks for stopping by today it was good to chat with you as well, I will have cash tomorrow if you show up.

I am considering an Eagle Bay thread so we can discuss rides and conditions as well as a place for the pictures and videos. I will probably check with Donk first to make sure he is OK with it though.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4089
blaster11
Living the dream!

J4S...thanks for the feedback today on my foot, I appreciate it!! Hope to see you tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #4090
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Thumb Fantabulous Day

Alrighty, good to see everyone today. Even our new friend on his way back from Morton's on his nicely accessorized F800!

Anyhow, the riders at Eagle Bay gave me this flyer. So, it's plugged into the calendar

AMA Dirt Days Apr 6-7 New Castle, DE

Also, it looks like the download link for tomorrow's ride is working. However, I have also emailed it to those that requested it.

Quote:
Kickstands up at 0900EDT, Sun 10 Mar

Rondezvous location:
Wawa Food Market
30320 Three Notch Rd, Charlotte Hall, MD
(301) 290-5971

Reminder: Day light savings is Sat night, so make sure you plan correctly!
Scout Crew:
Blaster (auto-in)
Dorito
EOD3MC
Lakota
MotomanDan

Mebbe:
J4S
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #4091
blaster11
Living the dream!

Please let us know if you are coming otherwise when everybody shows that's on the list we will roll. If you want to catch up with us tomorrow just check post #2 for my SPOT link or the direct link.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #4092
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Please let us know if you are coming otherwise when everybody shows that's on the list we will roll. If you want to catch up with us tomorrow just check post #2 for my SPOT link or the direct link.
I'm in.....headed out from home at about 7:30
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #4093
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
A few things to think about:

I had a Zumo 450, before I got the Zumo 660. Although the Zumo 660 doesn't have hard buttons, I sometime think I might be better off with them. BMW makes a cradle for the Zumo660/5, but you must buy the entire unit from BMW as the software is slightly different.

The only reasons I think not to go this route is higher initial procurement costs. Also, it seems that Garmin refurbs their own units for a longer period of time.

There are three things you should absolutely make sure a GPS will do if you intend to lots to exploring. It must be able to load routes, it must be able to load tracks (these are points which don't follow roads), and it should have track back feature.

I will say that I think Garmin really got the track feature correct on the Zumo 660. The 660 will display upto 12 tracks simultaneously on screen (you chose the color of each track). The big advantage to this is you can ride a main track, and see where the start point for alternates are. In the past, I've either missed those turnoffs, or had to be really slick in memorizing where they began.

My only beef is that I haven't figured a way to show points of interests for different tracks (e.g camping spots, gas, etc) on the screen.

Lastly, if you Garmin-foo is really, really good, I would steer you towards a Montana. However, think of the Montana like a droid phone. You have to customize EVERYTHING! And they seem really buggy still. But they display nearly anything you could imaginer up.

However, from what I have seen I believe it is a much more capable unit. However, I don't think 99% of users will really use them for all they can do. It will also set you back big coin, as they are too new to have much of a used market.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #4094
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I am going to try and join mid ride. Given my proven abilities in that regard i will probably end up riding alone.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #4095
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Sorry I missed eb. One of these days...

On the productive side I finally changed the oil and did the plugs on the xc. The old plugs looked fine but I changed them anyway. Didn't get to the valves. Next time. I've also got to wire in my rear turn signals and resistors. For another day.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote