ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #4756
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by macorell24 View Post
Congrats Dave! Would like to give an acceptance speech?
I want to thank all of those who laugh right along with me when I do foolish things....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #4757
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,601
So Philygal and I headed over to Mechanicsville today to test ride the Can-Am Spyders. She's looking at those as a possible bike to ride with me from time to time.

I found my fingers looking for the imaginary front brake lever and clutch a couple times...they have pretty smooth power and handle easily at slow speeds. In order to go on the street ride you had to prove you could control it on the cone course.

Karen did pretty well with it, but said the throttle was a bit touchy...almost 1,000 CCs and an electronic throttle...yep responsive.

We rode two up for the road ride portion. For me, the steering was touchy. any handlebar movement was instantly felt by the machine. Engine and shifting was smooth, but the lateral G's when taking turns requires different riding techniques. Karen was comfortable, but said she had to hang on to the passenger handles almost all the time. I found pressing the inside leg against the tank worked better then leaning way into the turns.

Overall, because of the lateral G's, it is likely not a good fit for the youngest to ride pillon with...
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #4758
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,560
Pine Barrens Adventure Camp Riding School

In case you were interested in the training class that Dorito and I are going to this weekend up in Jersey. I wanted to take it to get some of my rusty skills back and also get more sand training. Pine Barrens may be a fun place to go riding besides doing the annual Pine Barren 300 ride. Taking the HP2 and Dorito is taking the 798.

Quote:
Here is some information on the Pine Barrens Adventure Camp Riding School’s next class.

We will be having a school on Saturday 4/27 and Sunday 4/28/13 in Nesco, NJ.
Both days we will have donuts and bananas available for breakfast. If you stay at the Howard
Johnson's (newly known as the Hammonton Inn) they have a nice breakfast. Then we cover your lunch
and dinner Saturday. We have a nice dinner out at a local restaurant Saturday night to talk about
the lessons and riding in general. We have our continental breakfast again on Sunday and cover your
lunch for that day. Drinks available all day long Saturday from our coolers, and you can grab a
couple waters for Sunday, it is important to stay hydrated, even when it is cool out and you don't
feel thirsty. Any costs for lodging is the responsibility of the rider.

The school will be a two day course starting at 09:30 on Saturday on a private training field,
going over basic skills. We will break for lunch and continue training, and then go on an
approximate 20 mile ride after the class. Saturday usually finishes up around 16:30. Sunday we
cover skills from the class out in the field on dirt roads and trails and usually finish up about
14:00.

This is a beginner course on how to ride a big dual sport or adventure bike in the sand and other
local terrain. We can accommodate beginner to intermediate skill levels in this class and will
adjust accordingly as we go.

It covers basics starting with bike setup and adjusting all your controls. We will help everyone
adjust things and we have tools, but please have tools that fit various nuts and bolts on your
bike, most importantly your handle bar clamps, levers if separate, back brake pedal if appropriate,
mirrors, turn signals, shield, after market lights, and those kinds of things in case we don’t have
the right wrench. We won’t do a complete service on your bike, we just sometimes remove or move
some things in case of falls.

Knobby tires are a must. Not having the proper tires can make the ride a lot more like work. With
knobbies you will save a lot of energy and enjoy the ride a lot more and prevent injuries. A couple
common tires are the TKC80 and something like the Pirelli MT21. If you have any question about this
requirement please call or email.

Boots are also a must. They don’t have to be full racing / mx boots but you should have enough
protective gear to handle a fall or flop over. MX style boots are commonly worn by most riders for
rides like the Pine Barrens 300. If the bike lands on your foot, it needs to be a hard boot and
cover the ankle. Knee and shin protection is also required. In everyday riding, not just this
course, Always plan for the fall whether you are on street or dirt. Talk to one of us and we can
give you some common types of good protective light duty MX/ Adventure boots. We also may have
offers from some of our sponsors.

We cover basic balance, cornering, acceleration, braking, sliding, up and down hills and bumps,
ruts, puddles, and sand. On the ride we usually cover the basics and practice what you learned and
possibly some more advanced riding tips depending on whatever we encounter with the varying
terrain.

For this class there are probably a few other choices for where to stay, but most usually stay at
the Howard Johnson/Hammonton Inn in Hammonton, NJ, which is the Pine Barren 300 start location when
that event is going on, or camp at the Wading Pines Camp Ground. Accommodations are optional, and
you can ride or trailer into the training area in Nesco.

Meeting time at the school grounds is 09:30am Saturday.
Thanks very much for your interest in our school.
Michael Bradway: cel 856-297-1981 mike.bradway@bradwaytrucking.com
Jack O'Connor: cel 732-714-8874, or jack-bsm@comcast.net

blaster11 screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 05:32 PM
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #4759
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Looks like you guys had fun today Dave!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #4760
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
I want to thank all of those who laugh right along with me when I do foolish things....
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #4761
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Heck I do foolish things everyday of my life though the most foolish thing I've ever seen was gastone trying the Jeb Stewart water crossing....we should nominate that posthumously.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4762
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Bruce and Dana: have fun at the Pine Barrens! I look forward to the RR!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4763
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,967
RR Linky for this weekend in Day Trippin'
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4764
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Heck I do foolish things everyday of my life though the most foolish thing I've ever seen was gastone trying the Jeb Stewart water crossing....we should nominate that posthumously.
I second that motion!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4765
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Me? I never do foolish things.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #4766
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,967
So, I guess we are going to need a bigger box to immortalize our misdoings?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #4767
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
RR Linky for this weekend in Day Trippin'
SPOT will be cookin starting tomorrow if you want to follow along, post # 2. Going to stop by Revzilla as well...maybe they will have some Klim pants in the showroom since everyone seems to be out of the black/gray.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4768
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Since gastone and I are planning on riding Dunkle and Long run this weekend I suspect there will be plenty of stupid/foolish things happening... I was hoping to borrow a friend's GoPro for just this sort of thing but he and his wife took it to Florida for some reason. I'll just have to catch the aftermath with the standard point and shot.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #4769
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Since gastone and I are planning on riding Dunkle and Long run this weekend I suspect there will be plenty of stupid/foolish things happening... I was hoping to borrow a friend's GoPro for just this sort of thing but he and his wife took it to Florida for some reason. I'll just have to catch the aftermath with the standard point and shot.
Start a ride report in day trippin.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #4770
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Will do.