ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #5761
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,227
Eric.....thanks for the information because as I watched and I wondered why sometimes you did the things you did. Marty explained the PA turnpike to us on Sunday as I was wondering if you were tired and had just made a miscalculation. Maybe if you are up for it after you recover a bit we could do a live Q&A one night? Glad you made it home safe, now rest up! Great job!!!!

Looks like Dana is signing me up for Greer.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5762
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Maybe if you are up for it after you recover a bit we could do a live Q&A one night?
Absolutely. I'm sure there is a way to do a group call--skype?

Regarding the turnpike, that was a long night. There were 15 rest areas on the PA turnpike that were worth points if you provided a receipt from there. I made some bad decisions on the first day of Leg 3, and I was convinced that I had spotted the field about 3,000 points on that Leg, and that I needed the points from DC and the Turnpike to make the top 10. I built a route, which started from DC, that would hit 12 of the 15. To get the remaining 3, would require another 4 1/2 hours of driving and just wouldn't be worth it, even if I had the time. In the end, I drove all night to get those points, and took a risky route since hitting the Philly area left me in a position where I couldn't be any further from the finish if something went wrong, but it worked out even though in hindsight it only made the difference between being 7th, vice 8th.

2014 LD Rally Season: Big Money Rally (1 Jan - 24 May); Poison (20-22 June); Butt Lite 7 (6-12 July)
2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #5763
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
Regarding the turnpike, that was a long night. There were 15 rest areas on the PA turnpike that were worth points if you provided a receipt from there.
So when trying to keep moving but needing to get a receipt what is the approach....buy gas or a twinkie?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #5764
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Quote:
So when trying to keep moving but needing to get a receipt what is the approach....buy gas or a twinkie?
Neither worked as the gas station and store belonged to Conoco. Only the fast food stands had the Rest Area name on the receipt. Later, the staff decided to accept the recipts from Conoco which had city, state on the receipt, but I wasn't willing to take any chances. $1.11 would get you a small cup of coffee from Roy Rogers or a 2-pack of shortbread cookies from Starbucks. My first stop, I splurged and had my first full meal since 15 hours earlier when I grabbed a few egg burritos from McDonalds. My 2nd stop, I splurged again and got a double tall dry cappuccino from Starbucks and slammed that down. After that, I went with the cheapest receipt I could get.

I got some strange looks at one stop, when after the clerk gave me my change and my receipt, I said "keep the coffee cup" and walked away. I swear he almost chased me down to make me take the coffee.

If anyone who was playing at home wants the .gpx files with the bonus locations for each of the three legs, just PM me and I'll send them to you.

2014 LD Rally Season: Big Money Rally (1 Jan - 24 May); Poison (20-22 June); Butt Lite 7 (6-12 July)

Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #5765
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
Just signed up for "The Adventure of a Lifetime" .

I don't expect to qualify but for $200 its a bargain to play around at the BMW Performance Center.
Quote:
Looks like Dana is signing me up for Greer.
I was on the phone with the Performance center today, and a co-worker inquired what I was ordering. Since she is not a motorcycle fiend, it was unlikely that I could explain this little game without sounding like a total nutjob. So, I coyly compared it a type of gymkhana on motorcycles.

With that, she asks "how many TTRU units I will need for this"? I think two, or maybe 4 (?)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5766
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I was on the phone with the Performance center today, and a co-worker inquired what I was ordering. Since she is not a motorcycle fiend, it was unlikely that I could explain this little game without sounding like a total nutjob. So, I coyly compared it a type of gymkhana on motorcycles.

With that, she asks "how many TTRU units I will need for this"? I think two, or maybe 4 (?)
So? Who's gonna lend Eod3mc a BMW?
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc, 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5767
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,651
Doritoooooo

i need your address
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #5768
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
So? Who's gonna lend Eod3mc a BMW?
Not I.....have you seen what he does?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #5769
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

So the guy in the picture below is a firefighter from WA who was in the rally (the bike is a Super Tenere). He told me that the striping on the back of his panniers has been shown in studies to be the most effective pattern (to include colors, stripe angle, and stripe width) to use on emergency vehicles to make cars notice them (it is also a special brand of tape geared towards emergency vehicles but he said he could get me the brand information if people are interested). Normally, I would say, OK, whatever, I'm sure any reflective tape works. But I came upon him on a dark road at night in the Canadian wilderness during the rally (and I was going much faster than him), and my reaction was not deliberate or conscious. When my lights lit up that reflective tape, I had a subconscious, almost primal urge to slow the fuck down and stay out of his way. I can almost say it took my mind to the same place as if I had rounded a corner and saw a flashing road closed sign and a giant collapsed section of road--I wanted to check my speed immediately.

What I'm trying to say is that I've seen fancy, dancing LED tail lights, I've seen single strands of reflective tape and/or stickers, and this was exponentially more effective at making me notice the other vehicle.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #5770
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,131
I've got that yellow in a 1" wide, not striped version at my shop.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #5771
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

TTR up for sale

In case anyone is interested we put the TTR up for sale...not enough room for everything.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903946
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #5772
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Quote:
So the guy in the picture below is a firefighter from WA who was in the rally (the bike is a Super Tenere). He told me that the striping on the back of his panniers has been shown in studies to be the most effective pattern (to include colors, stripe angle, and stripe width) to use on emergency vehicles to make cars notice them (it is also a special brand of tape geared towards emergency vehicles but he said he could get me the brand information if people are interested). Normally, I would say, OK, whatever, I'm sure any reflective tape works. But I came upon him on a dark road at night in the Canadian wilderness during the rally (and I was going much faster than him), and my reaction was not deliberate or conscious. When my lights lit up that reflective tape, I had a subconscious, almost primal urge to slow the fuck down and stay out of his way. I can almost say it took my mind to the same place as if I had rounded a corner and saw a flashing road closed sign and a giant collapsed section of road--I wanted to check my speed immediately.

What I'm trying to say is that I've seen fancy, dancing LED tail lights, I've seen single strands of reflective tape and/or stickers, and this was exponentially more effective at making me notice the other vehicle.

I am not going to doubt a single word you say about it but that is BUTT UGLY!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5773
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Quote:
My 2nd stop, I splurged again and got a double tall dry cappuccino from Starbucks and slammed that down.
Hey....I thought you swore off caffeine or were you just having a weak moment.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5774
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Doritoooooo

i need your address
How soon do you need them? The next LoPL RTE is on my day off, so I am thinking about party crashing ya'll. If I make it, I can ferry the boots to the city line for you. If not, we can go to plan B and ship them if you are on a time line for them (or I don't make the RTE).
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #5775
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
I am not going to doubt a single word you say about it but that is BUTT UGLY!
It looks European.

Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote