ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #6211
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I'm thinking about going over to Eagle Bay on the GSA tomorrow and ride some easy stuff. Maybe ride the tail end of the short loop and the kids trail. I need to play a little in the dirt for the upcoming GSTrophy.
Cool, see you there
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #6212
L8RG8R
Aprilia Geek

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post

Denson's is fantastic, probably one of the best places for food in CB. If you still around in the evening stop by

Good to hear! I'd stop by but i have to be back on this side of water to get the kiddos off the bus by 4p. I'll have to come that way on a weekend sometime.
L8RG8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6213
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,455
Home and planning next years rides!

It's good to be home but I like the three week adventures a lot more. So for next year these are the three rides that are more than a few days but should be fun as well.

1. Ride to Canada for a tour of Manic 5 hydro-electric dam, this could be done in 5 days without a huge amount of effort and I know this awesome campsite!!

2. Ride to Maine for a Lobster dinner and then load the bikes up with fresh lobster and come back down for a lobster cookout. After reading Kevin's ride report and working with another guy from Maine I have this hankering for a lobster run. The guy I work with does a similar run every year as he apparently has family/friends that run a boat which he could probably hook us up with. Dana said we could rent the MWR lighthouse and crash there for a night prior to coming back, apparently very close to Bar Harbor so you could also see Acadia national park as well. There again we could knock this out in 5 days.

3. After driving through Ottawa that seems like a cool city which could require some exploring. As with all the others I think this could be done in 5 days.

If you haven't noticed I am trying to manage my vacation closely next year in case we do the trip to South America or if that falls through Alaska.....let me know what you think or propose some of your own.

blaster11 screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 02:42 PM
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #6214
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,702
Question

Tarmac & dirt , or just tarmac ?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #6215
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Tarmac & dirt , or just tarmac ?
Great question...all the rides are Tarmac except maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to the campsite at Manic 5 which is just a hard packed dirt road which is quite easy.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #6216
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,873
and there is a motel at the base of Manic 5 which would preclude any dirt
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #6217
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Sweet. If I get a vote, I vote #2 (Maine) as my first choice, #1 (Dam tour) as my second choice, and #3 (Ottawa) as my third choice.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #6218
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Anybody who wants to go gets a vote. If we can generate enough interest then we just need to start working the general dates so people can plan their vacations. Honestly I hope to do all three next year but I will need to work some credit hours to make them work.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #6219
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
It's good to be home but I like the three week adventures a lot more. So for next year these are the three rides that are more than a few days but should be fun as well.

1. Ride to Canada for a tour of Manic 5 hydro-electric dam, this could be done in 5 days without a huge amount of effort and I know this awesome campsite!!

2. Ride to Maine for a Lobster dinner and then load the bikes up with fresh lobster and come back down for a lobster cookout. After reading Kevin's ride report and working with another guy from Maine I have this hankering for a lobster run. The guy I work with does a similar run every year as he apparently has family/friends that run a boat which he could probably hook us up with. Dana said we could rent the MWR lighthouse and crash there for a night prior to coming back, apparently very close to Bar Harbor so you could also see Acadia national park as well. There again we could knock this out in 5 days.

3. After driving through Ottawa that seems like a cool city which could require some exploring. As with all the others I think this could be done in 5 days.

If you haven't noticed I am trying to manage my vacation closely next year in case we do the trip to South America or if that falls through Alaska.....let me know what you think or propose some of your own.
I am thinking something like leave Thursday and be home Monday or leave out on a Friday and return on a Tuesday but I think leaving on a Thursday would be better from a traffic situation. A lot of details would need to be worked out but you get the idea.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #6220
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Medical training?

So does anyone know where we can get good medical training for Adventure riders. What I mean is not training geared to just wait 15 to 30 minutes for help to arrive....more like you need to do everything to include get the person to the hospital type of training.....no not medical school either. This incident with Keith, which went really well, really spurred some conversation between Dana and I about how things could have gone. We want to be better prepared for future Adventures!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #6221
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Quote:
So does anyone know where we can get good medical training for Adventure riders. What I mean is not training geared to just wait 15 to 30 minutes for help to arrive....more like you need to do everything to include get the person to the hospital type of training.....no not medical school either. This incident with Keith, which went really well, really spurred some conversation between Dana and I about how things could have gone. We want to be better prepared for future Adventures!
EMT certification??
Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #6222
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
If you're really serious......

The first option is to volunteer with your local rescue squad and they will provide the training for free. Not all volunteer EMT/Parametics are fanatical. The second option would be to seek out EMT training at local Comunity Colleges. The third option is to seek out the literature via the web and self teach/I probably still have EMT training literature from my Navy days somewhere.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #6223
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
EMT certification??
Another vote for this.

I don't know about MD, but I underwent training in the 90's in NC as an EMT, and ended up running calls for a while for Gaston County. I quit because NC doesn't really wanna pay you to be an EMT, they just want you to volunteer. Anyway, when I took it, it was a 12 week course, 2 nights a week to become an EMT-Basic. Looks like Anne Arundul Comm College takes 19 weeks. Honestly, even though I haven't practiced those skills in over a decade, a lot of it still sticks with me and its worth anybody's time to take.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #6224
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,854
Wanderlust T+3 Weeks

Things to wanderlust about doing..

Fri Sep 13-15 Rally in the Poconos - Honesdale, PA
Fri Sep 20-22 Ride the Blue Ridge - Catawba Meadows Park Morganton, NC
Fri Sep 20-22 Twin Valley Rally - Meadows of Dan, Virginia
Fri Sep 20-22 GS Trophy Challenge 2013 US NATIONAL QUALIFYING EVENT - BMW PERFORMANCE CENTER GREER, SC
Fri Sep 20-22 Last Chance Rally - Elmer, NJ **NEW Add**
Sat Sep 21-22 Jimmy Lewis Riding School (Hosted by Pine Barrens Adventure Camp) - Hammonton, New Jersey
Fri Sep 27-29 Central VA Camping Trip - George Washington National Forest
Sat Sep 28 Mortons BMW Ride To Eat - The Pig and Steak restaurant in Madison

More information all post #2 calendar (click on each event)

Got ideas/events for calendar? Send them in

**NEW Adds**
Oct 6 Virginia British Motorcycle Club Rally - Manassas, VA
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #6225
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Also for October...

301 Riders Hare Scamble in King George VA. 10/27/2013
Round 14 of 15 for the VCHSS series...not a racer, but still want to have fun. They have created a sportsman class. No points, No awards but you can run both the morning and afternoon events.

Basic info here

Possibly even heading out for Round 13 in Rural Retreat VA, 10/13/2013
Rattlesnake Hare Scramble.

As of now, it looks like Cheyenne is going to race with me and take part in the kids Horizons class for both races.

VCHSS Schedule