ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #6616
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I did like your Columbus day reference "Santa Maria" on the North American tag. However, you should have at least left the neighborhood.
I did...I went all over the place last night (between colonial beach and oak grove) but I couldn't find anything. When I went to make the turn the Columbus day thing struck me....
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #6617
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
Garmin's Latest Offering

Well, here you go. The new garmin Monterra. It's suppose to be "better" than the Montana.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod113522.html

Quote:
GPS Mapping Powerhouse with Android™ OS
  • 4" dual orientation, sunlight-readable, durable mineral glass display with multi-touch interface
  • Get Android apps on Google Play™
  • 8 megapixel autofocus camera and 1080p HD video with automatic geotagging, LED flash/torch
  • High-sensitivity GPS/GLONASS receiver for better positioning
  • 3D MapMerge™ for multiple maps in 3-D
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #6618
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,297
Adventure school?

I guess the quickest way to get to the answer is to start with the question...so here you go Motomandan. Do you have the room or the interest in bringing a adventure rider training class to SoMD....specifically to your MX course in your back yard? I have never seen your MX track so I have no idea what exercises we could do there. I was thinking of having Blair a former instructor at BMW riding school come up as the instructor. I am willing to put in some serious prep hours for course work and I would volunteer to be the exercise demonstrator. Honestly I would like to see Adventure motorcycling catch on a bit more around the area. I don't think getting enough participants would be the problem though.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6619
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Think Adventure school and not MX school which could be a much broader base of topics to cover. We would need to tie it all together so that it makes sense and when the question of "why" gets ask it pretty much answer's itself.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #6620
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Bike stolen

Keep an eye out guys for a fellow Adv'r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Hi all - my bf's white 2010 F800GS was stolen out of our condo parking garage in Alexandria over the weekend. It has SW-Motech side racks and Alt Rider crash bars, a headlight guard, and a tool tube attached to the right side rack. It also has a scrape on the left side of the tank. If you have tips of any kind and/or don't mind passing this along, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

blaster11 screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 03:35 AM
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #6621
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
T + 3 Weeks

Arriving on the first work day of the week, to cure your first day blues

Things to wanderlust about doing..

Thu Oct 24-27 VA Adventure Riders Campout - http://www.crabtreefallscampground.com/
Fri Oct 25-26 Mountain Man 400 Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Challenge - Giles County VA
Sat Oct 26-27 MAX BMW Motorsport Off-Road Performance School - Hunter Mountain Resort, NY
Sun Oct 27 301 Riders Harescamble - Dahlgren, VA
Sat Nov 2-3 Hammer Run Dual Sport Event - New Jersey
Mon Nov 4 Baltimore RTE (Hosted by LoPL) - 2 hrs radius from Baltimore, MD

More information all post #2 calendar (click on each event)

Got ideas/events for calendar? Send them in

Dorito screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 06:11 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #6622
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,839
more Gail
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/baillargeon/
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #6623
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Keep an eye out guys for a fellow Adv'r.
Bike found in impound yard.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #6624
motomandan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I guess the quickest way to get to the answer is to start with the question...so here you go Motomandan. Do you have the room or the interest in bringing a adventure rider training class to SoMD....specifically to your MX course in your back yard? I have never seen your MX track so I have no idea what exercises we could do there. I was thinking of having Blair a former instructor at BMW riding school come up as the instructor. I am willing to put in some serious prep hours for course work and I would volunteer to be the exercise demonstrator. Honestly I would like to see Adventure motorcycling catch on a bit more around the area. I don't think getting enough participants would be the problem though.
Bruce,
I would love to! haven't used track I over 5 years so way overgrown ( with beaver constructed pungi sticks and all). I do have parking issues . Maybe we could work something with Wicomico or Eagle bay? I would be happy to help in any way

motomandan screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 07:52 AM
motomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #6625
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomandan View Post
Bruce,
I would love to! haven't used track I over 5 years so way overgrown ( with beaver constructed pungi sticks and all). I do have parking issues . Maybe we could work something with Wicomico or Eagle bay? I would be happy to help in any way
If you don't have any real issues maybe we could leave all options on the table at this time. I was thinking Fall time frame with no more than 15 riders to start the first class with. Erik and I both have tractors with buckets, Erik's also has a backhoe. I also have a small box blade and post hole digger. We could clean the place up pretty quickly. BMW's offroad class is pretty basic so we wouldn't need much infrastructure needs.

I was going to talk to DonK about Eagle Bay. Wicomico is worth a stop I just don't know when that would be...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #6626
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Woody's and cush hubs

I was curious and figured what better way to find out than to call Woody's about some cush drive hubs. Here are the prices;
570 Husaberg - about $800.00 if they can reuse the rim
Husky TE511 - about $800.00 if they can reuse the rim
Suzuki DRZ 400S - About $920 with Excel rims and closer to $1000.00 with Takosago(?) rims, I figured that I am that far in on a 11 year old bike why not replace the rim.

These are all with new hubs/spokes/bearings/rubbers/spacers/relacing....so basically everything but the tube and tire.

Some FAQ information;

CUSH DRIVES & motard conversions

Close this page to return to your previous page
do i really need a cush drive hub?

Road use does place more stress on a gearbox, sprockets, chain and rear tyre, because the rear tyre normally slips a little in dirt with each combustion stroke (hence that little rooster tail under acceleration!) and there is also the flex of knobby tyres - both these effects act like a cush drive hub.

There are plenty of arguments for and against them if you check the forums, and a lot of opinions aren't based on hard facts. Personally, we believe that a cush drive hub isn't strictly necessary if:

- your bike is under 600cc
- you don't plan on clocking too many miles on bitumen
- your bike has a solid gearbox with no known issues.

Our reasoning? Almost every trail bike over 600cc has a cush drive hub, which strongly suggests the manufacturers think they are needed on the big thumpers.

Almost every road bike in existence has a cush drive hub, strongly suggesting that manufacturers think they are needed for doing a lot of road mileage.

If your bike has a light weight gearbox, or any known issues, then a cush drive hub probably isn't a bad idea to minimize possible problems.

So how does it work? A cush drive hub lessens the impact of a single cylinder's combustion stroke on your transmission, drive chain and rear tyre, but if you are riding in the upper rev range then you won't notice any effect. The rear hub is also usually heavier with a cush drive hub, which slightly increases unsprung weight and makes the rear wheel a bit more likely to go wider when backing it in in racing.

The benefits of a cush drive hub appear more as you operate in the lower rev ranges. For example, the smoother ride is noticeable at around 3000rpm to 5000rpm, but most noticeable in slow or stop-start traffic. So if you tend to do quite a bit of easy riding or commuting, you'll have a much more enjoyable ride with a cush drive hub.

It is unlikely that your gearbox is going to break down simply because you are using a fixed rear hub for occasional bitumen riding. Gearboxes on dual purpose bikes are over-engineered to last so you can probably ride on bitumen without a cush drive hub for years without problems, particularly with trail bikes that have heavy beefed up gearboxes (e.g. DRZ400, KLR650, DR650), but is probably worth considering more with performance bikes like the KTM and WR450F with light weight gearboxes. As dedicated dirt bikes, the priority on minimising weight means those higher gears may not be so beefed up for extended road riding. There is a reason every road bike has a cush drive hub, and why manufacturers stress that their higher performance offroad bikes aren't intended for "extended highway use".
how much difference does a cush drive make?

For a single cylinder bike, a big difference in everyday riding. For example, in testing cast wheels with the cush drive hub against a spoked motard wheel set it was found that chain snatch setting in at 80kmh with the spoked motard wheels in top gear was reduced to 50kmh with the cast motard wheels. This makes a difference to your useable rev range on your bike, meaning a lot less gear changes in normal road riding. It can be likened to the difference between riding a single cylinder road bike compared to a twin cylinder. However, if you ride hard or race then this will make no difference. But for everyday riding, each combustion stroke of the piston is dampened, which has plenty of advantages:
- extended life of sprockets and chains
- reduced wear on the gear box and other moving parts
- smoother ride whether accelearating or deccelerating
- longer rear tyre life.
how does a cush drive work?

A cush drive is a part of a motorcycle drive-train that is designed to reduce stress from engine torque damaging other components during gear or throttle changes. A common design is made of three major pieces: the wheel, the sprocket assembly or 'sprocket drive', and the rubber damper.

The wheel and the sprocket assembly fit together with five sections much like two hands woven together. In between the contact of the two assembly are rubber blocks. These cush drive rubbers are usually triangular in shape, have a hard compound and may be air-filled. This makes it so the wheel and the sprocket have a dampening layer between them, and the rubber blocks reduce wear, stress fractures and fatigue of the metal assemblies. This is most noticeable with single cylinder motorbikes used on paved roads at slow to moderate speeds, where in effect the power and engine braking is delivered in a series of punches through the transmission, chain, sprockets and rear wheel.

When the rubber damper becomes old and hardens, or wears out, the changes in load on the drive chain instigated by changes in throttle position or changing gear can cause snatchiness in the power delivery. Loads particularly on the drive chain can be massively increased in these conditions, increasing the risk of breakage or of contact with the swinging arm resulting in damage. Perhaps more pointedly the sudden transfer of force to the rear tyre can cause momentary loss of traction (lock or spin) resulting in small changes of direction or at worst total loss of control.
WHY YOUR offroad SPOKED WHEELS DON'T HAVE A CUSH DRIVE

Why doesn't your dirt bike have one? When riding in the dirt, the rear wheel does slip marginally on the looser surface which acts as a kind of cush drive. Cush drives do make a rear wheel heavier, which isn't appreciated by dirt riders or competition motard riders. A cush drive is also more expensive so manufacturers avoid them when they can unless they feel it might cause warranty issues. Generally speaking, both Japanese and European dirt bikes won't feature a cush drive hub until they are over 600cc and have a lot of grunt, meaning they'll be ridden at low revs when the cush drive will act to smooth out the ride. This is why the DR650SE, KLR650 and KTM LC640 and 690 models all feature a cush drive hub.
CUSH DRIVEs and spoked motard wheels

An aftermarket cush drive hub will typically cost around AUD$800 or US$600 which drives the cost of spoked motard wheels up substantially. There is an increasing trend toward adapting cast wheels from smaller sports bikes to gain the benefits of a cush drive hub at a fraction of the price with very little weight gain, if any, compared to spoked motard wheels if the right cast wheels are used.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #6627
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Bruce, mirrors what Woody's told me in early Sep. when I asked:

Thanks for contacting us. We could either go with a stock 640 cush hub or with Rad Mfg. billet hub/sprocket carrier. Do you want us to re-use your rim or have a whole second wheel?

Price breakdown.

Least expensive, but lowest quality(stock quality, rim, spokes, nipples) would be $842 (Rad CACR rim, Spokes, Nipples, & Rad Billet Cush Hub, & Carrier), if just got the kit and laced/trued yourself, would save $80.

Otherwise if want built up and best quality could either re-use your rim or go with new Excel

$111 Superlace & True

$175 Excel 18x2.15-36H Black Rim(silver rim is $25 less)

$135 Supersize Stainless Spokes & Nipples

$549 Billet Cush Hub with Sprocket Carrier Any Color. (stock 640 hub & carrier would be $40 less)

$910-970 Total (if re-use your rim, would save $175

Edit: In the meantime I'm on the search for a stock 640 rear as my understanding is that they are plug and play.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6628
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

No rush for me to get anything done soon but it would be a whole new wheel for the DRZ as the stock one's in my opinion have been ridden hard over the years. Probably either keep it as a spare or sell it separately when I sold the bike.

I am not sure what makes sense on the Husky since it has nice rims already....second wheel or rebuild the stock...dunno.

Plug n play would be nice for you, everything for me seems to be custom.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #6629
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Garrett... you got any idea how much power you have available to run stuff on the 570. I think the Husky has like 165 Watts total So I will have to be careful with heated grips. I keep saying I am going to build a spreadsheet with all these things I care about on all of our bikes....maybe this week will be the week. Oh and what typical accessories draw as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #6630
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
211 watt stator.

There's a 570 long distance touring thread in thumpers. Guys are running heated grips, liner and gps with no worries. Of course if I replaced the H4 halogen with LEDs, I'd have that much more to play with. I ran the liner all the way out to Loftus' and back with no problems.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote